IGNORED

The Joypad

tyranthraxus

I am not upset with the deal. I have a joypad and am glad it is the much superior proline I can get more cheaply (and even sometimes in the wild). An NES joypad, or even a Master System Joypad may have been a better option, but the stiff, unresponsive Atari joypad makes the prolines seem incredible. I'd be asking why they inflicted the "joy" pad on anyone.

Edited by Atarifever

I am not upset with the deal. I have a joypad and am glad it is the much superior proline I can get more cheaply (and even sometimes in the wild). An NES joypad, or even a Master System Joypad may have been a better option, but the stiff, unresponsive Atari joypad makes the prolines seem incredible. I'd be asking why they inflicted the "joy" pad on anyone.

Stiff and unresponsive? Hm.. I must have a good one, then. ;)

My primary complaint is that the buttons on the pad are spaced much farther apart than the familiar NES or SMS pads of the day. It's much harder for me to react quickly with multi-button games.

Edited by Austin

The 2600 jr. (that was already sold in 1984 in Europe, produced in Ireland) was packed with the prolines joystick, so maybe they introduced the joypads to differentiate the 7800. The junior was later sold with the cx40 and finally with the joypads too.

post-10599-127331370547_thumb.jpg

I didn't know that the Jr. was released in Europe in 1984, that is good to know, thx.

Its long been confirmed that the Joypad never saw release stateside my question is WHY? Its obvious they were made and released as a reaction to the NES and SMS controllers but its strange that a company with Atari Corp.'s limited resources that they would spend the money to develop these controllers and then not release them in their biggest market. Even if they were not bundled with the console and sold separately its pretty clear these would have sold well here.

Did Atari have a European subsidiary that worked somewhat autonomously? The Joypads I own don't have any identification marking country of origin.

as far as i know they were initially designed for the 7800 in europe ... i've never seen any sold separately. but i came across a box of new joypads a few years ago, and they were packaged in small bubblebags ... those were probably replacement pad for the atari service stores in the UK ...

i still have two brand new ones left ... PM me if you are interested ...

as far as i know they were initially designed for the 7800 in europe ... i've never seen any sold separately. but i came across a box of new joypads a few years ago, and they were packaged in small bubblebags ... those were probably replacement pad for the atari service stores in the UK ...

i still have two brand new ones left ... PM me if you are interested ...

I have a boxed one. http://www.atari7800.org/console/joypad.htm

Mitch

I have a boxed one. http://www.atari7800.org/console/joypad.htm

Mitch

wow .... i've never seen that one before ... nice find ... :thumbsup: :lust:

and from the packaging it looks like a US model ...

Did the separately sold controllers have different boxes in Europe? I'll have to dig it out to check but it seems like it was multi-language box.

Mitch

Did the separately sold controllers have different boxes in Europe? I'll have to dig it out to check but it seems like it was multi-language box.

Mitch

i've never seen that box before and believed those were never sold separately ...

Wasn't the 7800 released relatively late in Europe compared to the American release? I remember someone on here saying that the 7800 wasn't released in Germany until 1990. I think that might be the reason why we never got the joypads.

yes i think it was released in 1989!

there is a few weird thing with release dates here ... mainly because atari only became official distributor in the early eighties and this was done before by independent companies (unimex in germany, ingersoll in UK, Algavision in sweden,...).

i went through my console manuals and noticed that i have a 6 switcher manual that was copyrighted a year after the 4 switcher. just an example of how confusing the distribution has been here.

then again, the junior console was marketed earlier here ...

I have a couple joypads and I would be a fan if the second fire button was better placed. Obviously it was not tested for functionality, because it is awkward to use the other button.

I do like the joypad for Mario Bros. However, for all other games requiring a single fire button, I use my favorite, the classic CX-40.