IGNORED

Supposedly a new face to the Atari world

yoshiness

Good morning. (It's like 2 AM here) :) I'm a new member here.

I've watched my older siblings and family members play Atari as I've grown up. I've never played an Atari though. :?

I'm primarily interested in creating my own game for the Atari 2600 and producing at least one working copy. But it's incredibly difficult for my teenage mind to comprehend. I'll probably mess with it all during the summer when I don't have to deal with school.

Just so this doesn't fall directly into an introductory topic, what exactly is the Atari 2600 in terms of today? A collector's item? Still the same video game system it's always been? I've not followed the Atari 2600 scene, though I have lurked these forums on and off again for several years. I just haven't posted anything or registered.

Welcome to AtariAge!

Re: what is the Atari 2600 today?:

I think you're more or less right on both counts (the system being a collectors' item and it being "the same system it's always been"). It's a collector's item because it hasn't been produced 20 years (Flashback 2 notwithstanding), but it's also still widely used -in a relative sense- and widely loved and enjoyed because...well, why shouldn't it be? :)

Enjoy, and be sure to check out the rest of this immensely informative site too (you probably already have, but I'm just throwing it in for thoroughness' sake).

(Hopefully this post made sense; I broke my cardinal rule of never posting after midnight. :D )

I agree. It's both..a collector's item and still the same game console it's always been. I have a personal fondness for the memories my Atari 2600 brings up, and although I still play it, I'm more in the collecting sense these days. It's a great system to collect for, and I have have virtually no trouble gathering old boxed common games for it in pretty good shape, no less.

The games are no more or less challenging than they were "back in the day", and have a certain flair to them that games produced today do not seem to have. Your imagination is a key factor in playing these games, too. Something else I haven't used for a good long time.

Welcome to AtariAge. Hope you enjoy your stay here! :D

I'm primarily interested in creating my own game for the Atari 2600 and producing at least one working copy. But it's incredibly difficult for my teenage mind to comprehend. I'll probably mess with it all during the summer when I don't have to deal with school.

I've heard that the fine associates at Kinkos might be able to help. They have an uncanny wisdom for programming for the VCS.

I've heard that the fine associates at Kinkos might be able to help. They have an uncanny wisdom for programming for the VCS.

What? :? :? :?

^Sounds ominous. Sounds like you have no faith in me at all.

It's not a lack of faith, only that the 2600 is one of the hardest machines to program for in general. There are far easier format considerations to make if you have no programming experience...

• Like 1

^Sounds ominous. Sounds like you have no faith in me at all.

Don't jump right in the field. Start with BASIC on any older computer. Practice programing and get a hang of it, then learn some Batari Basic. :cool: In the meantime, don't listen to the nagging comments and doubt. Everyone swims through that when they join this forum, somehow.(Remembers nasty air raid topic) *Shivers* Anyway, good luck with your game, and enjoy your stay on Atari-Age.

Edited by ThelonelyAlien