IGNORED

Do you remember the first emulators you ever used?

mbd30

I'm not quite sure which one I actually downloaded first, but I had both Raine and NeoRage on my PC at the time. That was around late '98 or early '99 sometime.

NeoRage, because I just couldn't play enough Metal Slug at my local pizzeria. Raine, because at the time, that was the only system to emulate WWF WrestleFest.

First - 3270 terminal emulators on early PCs, but then again they don't exactly have a lot to emulate.

First proper emulator was an A8 emulator on the ST. No idea what it's called but I remember it running probably barely a third as fast as an actual A8.

Next one I used would have been the one I wrote - a 1050 emulator on the ST. Never developed it far, the aim was going to be to add the turbo modes but I didn't have any documentation and would have had to reverse-engineer it via a DOS to do it.

I think you mean 'X former' an A8 emulator for the ST (by branch always software in canada, now called emulators unlimited) I used it as well, this was just before it was capable of running commercial games (i.e non dos boot images)

I had the cable that allowed you to attach the 1050 etc to the st, it was no good for the pc version (something to do with the wiring or something)

The first emulator I used was Xformer 2000 for Windows version 7 which played great but it had no sound so I updated it to version 8 which had sound (I think I got the versions right??)then very recently I was told about Altirra and I never looked back.

It wasn't my first but I remember running 3D software which was written for a 68020 Mac in emulation on a PowerMac 6100. It had to emulate the FPU of the older machine, leading to truly glacial screen redraws of about 1 FPS, making it entirely useless but amusing to look back on.

My favorite emulator has to be my Zelda: Ocarina of Time emulator on my laptop. When I was younger, this game was like crack to me. It's so nice to be able to go back to it, whenever I want, and save Hyrule all over again. Also, Ocarina of Time has to be the best Zelda game, at least to me. Major's Mask was also very good.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah, the late 90's emulation scene... good times for sure!

I remember sitting on IRC in channels such as #emulate, #emu, and others, waiting for the latest MAME to be released. And then also Retrocade, with Mike Cuddy and Neil Bradley and others. And of course Conjurer was a staple on IRC. (still is, apparently, but I've not seen him do anything other than sit idle during the occasional times I drop in on the old IRC haunts to see what's up. It's amazing the old names you still see, but most of them sit idle) I remember the whole fiasco with Mindrape and Sardu and the NESticle source code. Archaic Ruins. Atmospheric Heights. JoseQ's EmuViews. Dave's Video Game Classics! I even had a site of my own for a little while, one of the early "Emulation Nation" sites. I remember when things really started rolling in emulation by mid '97, updating the site constantly to report on new versions of emulators became quite a chore, thus I gave it up. My site did manage to get a shout-out on Neil Bradley's original "EMU" emulator upon exit as one of the "official" places to get it! :-)

I think MAME started out as a Mr. Do! emulator.

Edited by Mezmaron

It was ZSNES in the Mid-nineties, i did it to play Super Mario World i believe. Infact i still use ZSNES exclusively for my SNES emulating needs :P.

If you have a modern computer you might consider switching to BSNES.

Is that one any good? I use SNES9X still.

The programmer for BSNES is extremely anal about accuracy so it's the best if your computer is powerful enough to handle it.