IGNORED

Nintendo should do a special celebration for the NES's 25th annivesary

As all of you know, this year marks the 25th anniversary of the original NES here in the US. I just sent Nintendo this email with suggestions on how they could commemorate it:

Hi there, I have been a big fan of Nintendo since 1990 when I got my first NES for my 10th birthday and proudly own all five of your home consoles, the Game Boy Player, and I hope to get the new DS XL soon as well.

That being said, do you realize that this year marks the 25th anniversary of the original NES? I was wondering if Nintendo has any big plans for celebrating or commemorating the console that not only started it all for Nintendo, but saved the video game world from the brink of extinction after the big 1983 video game crash. My ideas include a "Best Of" collection of NES games for the DS or Wii, a special discount on NES games on the Virtual Console (perhaps 250 Wii Points to match 25 years of NES?), a special silver colored NES (perhaps individually serial numbered out of 25,000?), or perhaps a HUGE collector's edition issue of Nintendo Power perhaps covering every NES game made in the US? The possibilities are endless!

But the bottom line, the NES is considered by many to be the greatest video game console of all time (and in those days people often called video games as "playing Nintendo") and it deserves a BIG TIME celebration this year.

The only question is, will Nintendo actually do anything? They sure didn't do jack diddly to celebrate Mario's 25th anniversary in 2006, which is an absolute shame since Sega (Sonic) and Capcom (Mega Man) had no problem at all celebrating their mascot's 10th, 15th, and 20th birthdays with special commemorative logos and other things.

PS: Yes, I'm well aware Nintendo will only send me a form letter response telling me they have not announced any plans like these but to keep informed at nintendo.com of all the latest announcements/updates--I've sent suggestions to them before. But still, I have to do SOMETHING.

Edited by Dittohead Servbot #24
  • Like 1

Don't count on it. They did nothing for Mario's 25th birthday, and Mario is far, far bigger than the NES or anything gaming related. Hell, he's the face of video games more than Tiger Woods is in golf or Babe Ruth was in baseball. They should do something big got his 30th next year.

I don't think Nintendo going to do anything..

They should of done a Mario Collection, But they didn't

Other Company's did, Sega, Capcom - Konami

I think Nintendo just to stict on bring out Collection Disks..like Zelda or Mario..and even the Zelda Collectors Edition on the Cude was Limited

I'd bet that an NES styled Wii would push some sales. Pack it with the original Super Mario Galaxy (to help create buzz for the upcoming Galaxy 2) and I bet it would sell quite well and promote the new release.

I pretty much never see any interest in cosmetic console reissues... but even I'd buy one of those.

I can too, maybe they will put the original SMB for free for a day. Who knows...

That would be cool. Just a day to play SMB to your heart's content. If you wanted to play the following day, it would have to be purchased (if not owned already). The day of free SMB would be great marketing, interpreted as a "goodwill" gesture by most of the public, and sell a ton of SMB downloads the next day when people came back to play more...

I don't think Nintendo going to do anything..

Agreed.

It will be a special edition Wii with a blinking red light, that sometimes erases your saved games. Unless, of course, you remembered to hold "reset" when powering off.

*blows into Wii slot, wiggles disc back and forth*

No, they would probably put in new and unkillable 72-pin connectors in.

I HAVE AN IDEA. make some kind of double system, Wii and NES...

Maybe make a special 25th NES shaped like an Atari with little pac-man's all over it and when you open it up it come pre modded with E.T.!

icon_lust.gificon_thumbsup.gif

hmmm, I dont think so. that would look so wrong. thinking about mixing a 2600/NES mix makes me barf. I think let NES be NES and 2600 be 2600...

• 6 months later...