IGNORED

Atariventure (game collaboration?)

Opry99er

When Filip re-made Pitfall for the TI, he stayed extraordinarily true to the original... I know this isn't quite the same thing, but I was kind of hoping to see a growing stockpile of TI ports of Atari games. But this Adventure thing will be a collaboration-- if anyone is interested in jumping in.... So it doesn't have to be true to the original. :)

• Like 1

I like to see "inspired by XXXXXXXX title/genre" and unique games. That way the programmer can add their own touches and play mechanics. Since I'm probably not going to able to contribute to this project I'll let those who do decide where to take it.

• Like 1

I like to see "inspired by XXXXXXXX title/genre" and unique games. That way the programmer can add their own touches and play mechanics. Since I'm probably not going to able to contribute to this project I'll let those who do decide where to take it.

Total agreement from me.

I got an "Eastern Front: 1941" for the TI in my archives right now. I stopped because I was having problems understanding the AI routine from a top-down perspective, and I also started getting bored with the fact that to make a perfect remake, I had to replicate things I didn't necessarily agree with.

Atari Adventure is a classic game, and I'd rather see an inspired-by version for the TI instead of a clone. What I'd like to see myself is a game without a static layout... options like A-Maze-Ing to set the difficulty and characteristics so that each play-through is unique.

Adamantyr

• Like 1

Would it? If you stay within confines of DISPLAY AT - you can do an awful lot pretty quickly. I'd be more concerned about missed collisions / tracking in the mazes. Strawberry, when we get it, would probably solve all that.

Yea, it would be possible in XB, but screen draw time would take away from it. That's the issue. I could easily write an assembly routine to draw the screens quickly... but I think we should do this in assembly so we could have it on a cartridge. =)

I like that Owen! Judicious use of graphic embellishment makes it look better than the plain form, and doesn't overwhelm the eyes like the every-single-tile textures.

I assume you are sharing character sets between screens and just changing the colorset definitions (so that yellow walls become red ones on another screen and so forth).

• Like 1

I love the part bricks... Thx for using my suggestion... Now, could you try making them the same "dark yellow" (or perhaps gray) as the trim? Think the black contrast is a bit much. And closer colors will look real-er. :)

Here's an idea...

Atariven2.jpg

Part pseudo-3D (Thanks Codex) and part bricks. I'm thinking we could really add some neat stuff. =)

Edited by unhuman

Yep. And additionally, if we write this in assembly, we have a freak-ton of character sets to use.... And yes, "freak-ton" is the technical programming term. :). When we get to the black castle, bricks will be grey, etc--- using the same character sets and flipping colors makes it go fast fast fast. :)

You could have the "purist mode" and the "big time mode". But if you were a true purist you'd be playing on the original 2600 hardware. I say take it and run with it and then see where it goes.

Very true. If the TI is capable of better graphics, then why not use these resources? It would not change the gameplay anyway. In any case, I am certainly willing to help with the project. Owen will be the overall "project" manager and he would farm out the various code sections to the rest of us and keep us in line :) First we need a design spec as a template for the coders, which would be the initial task of the manager he he :)

• Like 1

Another thing that would be nice is if each sword looked like a sword, and also looked different. Same with the dragons. That would spice up the whole "here's the legendary sword X which is said to be the only thing that can defeat dragon Y" formula. One dragon could be covered in thorn-like scales, for example, and the corresponding sword be spikey, whereas another dragon could be snake-like and sinuous, and its sword would be curved or wavy.

I can have a go at drawing these if you think it's a useful concept.

Edited by The Codex
  • Like 1

Vorticon...

Now I'm being delegated assignments? I thought that was my job!! =) I'll be speaking with a few of you about some stuff... First we need to decide on a language. I'm for assembly... but this is not up to me.

Assembly-- fast fast fast, more character sets, fast fast, put it on cart, fast

XB-- More people can contribute, we can use assembly routines to make XB faster, but no possibility of a cart game.

Discuss amongst yourselves

Codex--- well, I love the idea. As long as you guys don't think that deviates from the original concept. Vorticon's thought about not changing gameplay--- only graphics--- is a sentiment of mine, but it should be a consensus. Whatever you all think. If we want to keep close to the original, then there won't be much "swordplay." But as I said, it's open season. We should be having these discussions right now. :) Healthy banter on where we want this project to go. What say the rest of you

• Like 1

Alright. I might have to. Strawberry "MAKE CART" would theoretically be easier. :) Can't imagine being productive in time for this tho.

-H

I would love to see this get a couple of you guys to delve into the Assembly language tutorials as I have. :)

Hey--- assembly isn't much different than BASIC... You have variables, loops, syntax, etc.... It's just that you have to go into what makes the computer DO these things. Read Matthew's assembly thread he started today... Or yesterday... Can't recall

• Like 1

Ah, is there only one sword in the game? For some reason I thought there were three, each color coded to a dragon. Must've been confusing that with the keys. Never mind then, though I still like the idea of the dragons looking different, as according to the official docs each has a different behaviour and temperment.

Edited by The Codex

Here's my first attempt. =) If you like, let me know. Just a quick mockup

dragon1.jpg

100 CALL CLEAR :: CALL SCREEN(5) :: CALL MAGNIFY(3)

110 CALL CHAR(96,"0203010000183F7F606F3F007FFFC07F4020B8EF787FC0C000F8FC1ECEFC01FE")

120 CALL SPRITE(#1,96,2,100,100)

130 GOTO 130

Edited by Opry99er

Second dragon idea. Not ecstatic about this one, but it looks better than the duck-dragon that currently exists!!! I'll give you ten to one odds that Codex's dragons look way better than these two. =) Has anyone played "Tunnels of Doom Reboot" or his version of "Hunt the Wumpus" or played the demo for "Yeti"?? Ahhh Codex.... he acts like he's not an artist... but we know better than that. =)

Dragon2.jpg

110 CALL CHAR(96,"380407052371F92160EFDFDCCFEF703F1C20E0A0C09CFEFF03FFFE00FCE606FC")

130 GOTO 130

Edited by Opry99er

Kind of a ToD inspired dragon.

dragon3.jpg

110 CALL CHAR(96,"0786C3E1B9AFA9A1811971C1E0F07F3FF8C1F3871DF585858180B8FCEE06FEFC")

130 GOTO 130

Edited by Opry99er