IGNORED

Atariventure (game collaboration?)

Opry99er

You misheard a little there, Rich, the Atari2600 has only 128 /bytes/ of RAM. The mirroring isn't the same as a mapping chip, it's caused by not decoding the address bus fully -- it's actually the same as how the scratchpad in the TI appears at >8000, >8100, >8200 and >8300. :)

• Like 1

atariyellow.gif

Yellow screen on Atari

ataritriyellow.jpg

Yellow screen in XB

Yep, as you can see in this early mockup, choosing the obvious and/or closest colors, leaves us with things with a pretty low/lower contrast. I've done a bit of experimenting, and I'm not even sure this is the way to go, but I'll settle for the above. Maybe with options for the player (user) to choose other palettes (with maybe the likes of ground being black or white) or even going for the extreme with individual colors chosen by the player (with a few default suggestions to quickly get you going).

Good contrast colors are black, white and cyan (ordering here is on intent but then my opinion only). Obviously (/apparently) many avoided the color cyan, since the TI user have seen so much of it, and we want a screenshot to be more epic than just average ... Again I'm just guessing.

:)

Well, don't you have Air Sea Battle ? If you don't start the game, or when a game is over, it will cycle a lot of colors.

Here's a color test (found it on wikimedia)

Atari2600_PAL_palette_color_test_chart.p

icon_shades.gif

i'm not tech savvy like u guys, so i don't know if this can work. i think i read about the f18 displaying the smaller ti screen in larger 640 by 480 is this doubled? could pixels of a diifferent color be offset and changed in a strobe effect to simulate different pretty colors?

i think i read about the f18 displaying the smaller ti screen in larger 640 by 480 is this doubled?

Yes, I think so.

could pixels of a diifferent color be offset and changed in a strobe effect to simulate different pretty colors?

The larger size of the pixels is not going to be a color solution in itself. The F18A should however be able, from a user perspective, to add or change colors to make a more true 1:1 conversion (better look and feel because of better color contrast/closer to original colors).

There have been some excellent suggestions on better graphics and sprites in this thread. If one chooses this route (not an 1:1 conversion), then better 9918A colors for contrast could be chosen.

Firstly I'd like to see a level one (or more) 1:1 conversion to fit in 8K - preferably no extra RAM. The original 2600 was 4K. Would be nice if a F18A color corrector could be squeezed in with the 8K. - I say 8K because I'm an old fashioned minimalistic cartridge kind of guy. Also 8K will avoid need for bank-switching. Of course two versions to support both disk and Multicart people. A later enhanced version with better graphics and perhaps more levels would surely need more than 8K.

:)

i'm not tech savvy like u guys, so i don't know if this can work. i think i read about the f18 displaying the smaller ti screen in larger 640 by 480 is this doubled? could pixels of a diifferent color be offset and changed in a strobe effect to simulate different pretty colors?

I see where you are going with this. But I doubt you would get a true color palette as either one of the RED, GREEN or BLUE would have to missing. Assuming the size is exactly doubled, and assuming you could offset and over lay the second page frame by one just pixel from the first... I'm not sure how it would look. Would the colors be blurry? I could see this making a great static background for game.

Now there are three guys that can probably answer your question, Matthew the guy who built the F18A, RassmusM, our resident F18A game programming expert and of course Tursi (Mike) who has done a ton of neat things with graphics programs.

Owen made this wonderful video demonstration of the first level. Obviously he loves the original as much as I do. This is reference for what I want to do first.

Heh... glad you're still contemplating this game, Karsten. I discovered long ago that it was beyond my abilities to pursue as a programmer, but I could make little screenshots like the one you reposted above.

Hope you proceed with this... I'll be your biggest cheerleader!

Coooooooooooooooooooooool! :o Is there a demo program that will put the F18A through it's paces so we can see it's capabilities?

The slideshow I linked you before, and my Convert tool, displays with a different 15 color palette on each line, that's up to 2880 colors onscreen possible (limited only because there are only 192 scanlines -- 192*15). The nice thing is that the GPU can completely handle the picture, meaning that the entire 9900 CPU is free to do whatever you want to on top of it. :)

The GPU is more than fast enough to change the palette multiple times per scanline, but you would need 9900 CPU intervention to push the extra data to VRAM at the right times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PfwM62Vpr0#t=554

I notice that the shots are all a little dark -- they were captured with a camera pointed at the screen - they are brighter in person. :)

Edited by Tursi

• 2 weeks later...

I notice that the shots are all a little dark -- they were captured with a camera pointed at the screen - they are brighter in person. :)

Has anything so exploitative of the F18A ever been demoed at the Faire? I missed last year, so I would not have seen it if so.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
On 9/11/2019 at 10:15 PM, sometimes99er said:

A clip from the 2018 Steven Spielberg movie "Ready Player One". 7,5 out of 10 based on 314,423 user ratings (IMDb). Related to the Atari VCS game "Adventure" (topic).

I read the book a few weeks ago - great fun for infantile 80's nerds. I didn't really care about the movie, though - too little of the original concept left.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1