IGNORED

Atariventure (game collaboration?)

Opry99er

Hahaha!!! That is a well-drawn and masterfully crafted rendering of the original character!!! How'd you get it so accurate. :rolling:

Ehmm, the palette and pixel resolution of the TI is of course a bit "restrictive" ... Think you can do better ?

I tried and save a few bits and bytes, so yes, he's just an over enlarged 1 by 1 pixel masterpiece. Got a problem with that ? Take it up with his big brother - mind you, he's 2 by 2 pixels ! - Ah well, he's easy to beat (got no eyes).

:)

This is a single pixel... I have a "single-pixel" editor... It just looks like a bunch of pixels.... sadly, yours still looks better. =) hahahaha

spongebob.png

Just kidding.... well, yours STILL looks better, but mine is 4 16x16 SPRITEs... Sad... sad sad sad

**BTW, GREAT editor, jchase!!! Cant wait to see this one develop further.

Edited by Opry99er

• 1 month later...

I guess my idea (now) is to make an acceptable "grid", that will fit the old adventure(s), but maybe extended a bit to house new adventures. Graphically I'll stick with the old in the first prototyping. It's not going to be pixel-perfect, since the TI has slightly better resolution. I'll go for doublesized and not magnified sprites. So all in all I guess game-play is also guaranteed to be different (more or less). Text information between levels (and what more) being an obvious exception to the 1:1. Other than that, it should do/start out much like in Owens video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBAbrp4d4nw

This is how I see it develop.

Decide what grid to use. The most extreme grid would (to me) be 32x24, but that would (without compression) require 768 bytes per screen (many screens per level). Later levels may add more detailed layer(s) and objects. Maybe we should consider using the multi-color mode (64x48 blocky pixels). The "barriers" (those vertical lines) would be easier to do.

Put "level 1", "grids" and "player" into an open source assembler "walk-able" demo. I could come up with the first version, and then Matthew and others could then perhaps enlighten me. And Filip could help transfer to his Spectra2 library. Maybe a few YouTube videos on how to put things together with tools, compilation et al. Maybe make the source state-of-art (readable to any 9900 wannabe).

Discuss how to proceed. Look at the 2600 Adventure disassembly. Design for adding lamp effect, levels, intro, outro, score, high scores, sound, music, control and objects (cup, color cycling, dragons, animation, sword, gates, keys, bridge, magnet and bat) and new/future level game elements. Did I forget anything ?

I guess I could do my usual Flash-dance and do a level designer, which, at any stage, basically does what we agree upon. Maybe a Magellan extractor (doing the grids and layers based on full screen edits).

Edited by sometimes99er

Wow.... Sounds like a blast!! Another way we could go is to use Magellan to design each screen--- this could allow all the contributors to share Magellan .mag files... If it's not going to scroll, then the 24x32 tile screen default could be quite useful. :)

Thanks for keeping this one in your mind, buddy. :)

The original has a 20x7 grid layout with the second half of the screen being reversed or sometimes repeated. For initial TI design and/or levels I suggest a 16x7 layout also with reversed/repeated second half. 16x7 pixels (on/off) requires 2x7 = 18 bytes = 1 screen. Other screen attributes besides reverse and repeat are, overall color, right and left thin walls, location of doors and where they lead.

For general background color I suggest black instead of the TI grey. I don't think any of the yellow colors work very well with the grey. Black might also give a certain early eighties arcade feel, but most importantly a better contrast with any other color. Grey would then be available for magnet, sword and perhaps a shield. I don't know about the black bat, but maybe dark red would work for him.

:cool:

0011adv.gif

Well, I think I managed to squeeze 40 columns into 32.

0013adv.png

The above has the individual screen design bits for level 1 with zoom factor 300% horizontally and a grid. The arrangement of screens does not show all the links inside the blue maze. Vertical barriers are also not included.

Edited by sometimes99er

As in actual released products, I think he's been part of a few. He did work for Opcode Games. :)

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/152437-team-pixelboy-is-now-online

As far as I know Luc worked as a publisher until now, concentrating on things like artwork, manuals, etc.

All programming for Opcode was done by Eduardo Mello.

Luc does have some personal coding projects as part of Team Pixelboy, but nothing in a finished state or released to the public.

I don't know, all I know is, that if somebody participates in a scene with graphics, code, art, ideas, tests and/or what's more, then that somebody has done some "work". And yes, his site indicates that none of the projects have been released so far (as in "never actually done any work" !? ).

;)

Edited by sometimes99er

I have been thinking about this project, with the challenges and inputs mentioned in the thread, such as Atari, colors and contrast, pixel resolution, all the dragon sprite designs and more. - I'm just not happy with the black background and the stretched mazes (I tried #239). Yes, I guess I'm turning on the plate. I think I'll try and do some "work" down these alleys ...

Isometric castles (#108).

New mazes. Screens with higher detail and complexity.

Animated hero.

8K ROM demo.

16K+ ROM game with speech.

;)

Edited by sometimes99er

I have been thinking about this project, with the challenges and inputs mentioned in the thread, such as Atari, colors and contrast, pixel resolution, all the dragon sprite designs and more. - I'm just not happy with the black background and the stretched mazes (I tried #239). Yes, I guess I'm turning on the plate. I think I'll try and do some "work" down these alleys ...

Isometric castles (#108).

New mazes. Screens with higher detail and complexity.

Animated hero.

8K ROM demo.

16K+ ROM game with speech.

;)

Looking forward to that ;)

- have you thought about the "Dark Maze" portion of the game on "levels" 2-3? It's pretty tricky. :)

The catacomb, the maze with only nearby surroundings visible, let's call it the flashlight effect, could have a dark screen with a moving square generated on the fly. Also the current maze screen could exist in full (32x24 bytes) but out of view in ROM, VDP or RAM (if we allow the 32K Expansion), and then we simply get and show a certain square, clearing the square and getting a new one as we go along. The square could have the corners rounded by dark sprites (using 1 sprite in each corner).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...