IGNORED

Guilty Pleasure Games

Haha. This is a good topic.

A game came to mind immediately. Ham Ham's Unite for Gameboy Color based on the Hamtaro TV series briefly popular in the 2000's. I found it at a Goodwill last September while on my way up north to the lake for a week vacation. I spent a day playing and beating the game. It was fun, cute and silly, but not a game I'd normally announce that I like. I enjoyed it a lot more than I have most Gameboy titles. Certainly not a title a guy in his 30's is supposed to like.

I also really enjoyed Night Trap on the 3DO. I ahem... don't have a legal copy, but I never played it back when it got all of its notoriety in the mid 90's. I downloaded it to see what it was like and thoroughly enjoyed it despite the silly premise, terrible acting and the fact it was all FMV. It really wasn't a terrible game, though it has no replay value after you beat it.

Edited by Lendorien

Oh, that one is easy. I borrowed a CD-I and all three Zelda games from a friend just to try them out. Since I'm a huge Zelda fan and since I only had the system for a month, I made myself play all three. Only one was actually somewhat fun. :twisted:

Probably the third one, right?

Yes, the last one was actually a fun game -- nothing I'd play again, but there are many worst games that I've played. Like the first two....(shudder)

Sheesh. You must be a glutton for punishment. I remember seeing a CD-i with one of the Zelda games at Sears back in the early 90's. For years I thought I must have seen a Playstation shortly after it debuted, but within the last couple years I learned about the CD-i and the Zelda games and realized that the CD-i must have been what I'd seen. I remember being mildly interested. But then I'd never had a video game system of my own up to that point. My memories of the game were that it was pretty simplistic.

Edited by Lendorien

I've played 2 different McDonald's licensed games on emulators (MC Kids and Mick and Mack as the

Global Gladiators) and I actually found them to be pretty good.

MC kids was made by treasure (radiant silvergun, dynamiate headdy, ikaruga, sin and punishment, light crusader) and for that reason, it rocks. That company can do no wrong by me. I play MC kids at least a few times a year (out of a 1000+ cart collection that's actually a lot).

For me, I often get pretty deep into "bad" games. I got really into Baroque on the Wii, saturn port. Really interesting story, 3-d roguelike. That has a really bad metacritic rating and got a 3 from nintendo power. I loved the Izuna and Shiren roguelikes too though. Children of Mana for the DS was horrible, a real slap in the face to three greats (seiken densetsu 3, Secret of Mana and secret of evermore), and I have put many, many hours into it. I liked the version of alien syndrome for the wii too, and that got bad reviews (terrible level design, wildly inconsistent quality. if you suffered through six or so levels it started getting pretty good).

I think, being a tabletop RPG D+D type dude, I'm a sucker for stat upgrades even if the game is just like... a white cube that you can move left and right. I played the hell out of the Y's game for SMS, and also miracle warriors on the SMS. those are pretty shitty... and Golvellius on that same system, which is pretty interesting, not really that bad.

But... there are millions of people that are pretty well addicted to what I consider a decently shitty game... not naming any names... and they PAY for it EVERY MONTH

Final Fantasy Adventure for GB. Some consider it part of the Secret of Mana series..but I recall it came out on GB first and in the US it is a FF game. Love it to death but I've never met anyone who likes it.

Xena Warrior Princess on PSX not great but I've wasted whole afternoons playing it.

Bird Week (JPN) on NES :)

Final Fantasy Adventure for GB. Some consider it part of the Secret of Mana series..but I recall it came out on GB first and in the US it is a FF game. Love it to death but I've never met anyone who likes it.

Xena Warrior Princess on PSX not great but I've wasted whole afternoons playing it.

Bird Week (JPN) on NES :)

I LOVE FF adventure... surely someone else does too, since the series isn't cheap on ebay. Bird week is really cute and colorful (I play it more to amuse my wife than for 'fun').

Since you like FFA, you should try Ninja Taro for the GB. It's a very similar ARPG game with a ninja theme, pretty fun for me.