IGNORED

Best Lesser-Known Games?

eegad

Sorry if it's been discussed before. Just wondering what people think are the best "lesser-known" games on the 2600. There have been many conversations for faves and "top 10's" overall. But if you had to pick just a few "faves" that WEREN'T mainstream "hit" releases, what would they be? I know that's a little tricky....exactly what qualifies as "lesser-known"? Basically you can't pick any of the big hits of the day - no top Atari titles like Adventure; no arcade conversions like Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, etc; and no very popular 3rd party games like Kaboom. I'll also exclude homebrews - yes, there are several of those that I think are great - but I'm thinking more along the lines of things that were released "back in the day".

For starters, I'll pick:

Laser Gates, HERO, Space Shuttle, Space Attack, Frankenstein's Monster

I vote for Eggomania, Video Pinball and I don't know if it's pure nostalgia or the catchy music, but I also have to say Journey Escape. I could list several others, but these stick out in my mind the most at the moment.

Edited by Fixitguy74

Variations on the maze hunter/hunted theme have often given positive results, such as Bank Heist and Dark Cavern. I find the rare Malagai also fits in there.

Bump 'n Jump is a stunning conversion and succeeded in keeping the original's touch. Not a fan of the looping tune that constantly runs in-game, but still has to be respected as a technical feature.

Pengo and Spy Hunter: two arcade conversions that also shined. Thought I'd mention them, even though they might not qualify for this topic (Spy Hunter is pretty well known.)

• Like 1

Wing War and X'Mission are two great games that aren't known well because they were PAL releases.

Wing War is like the perfect hybrid of Joust and Adventure - it's hard at first to adjust to a very unusual control scheme, but persist. It looks great, gets quite tense as you strive towards the end, and has all sorts of strange hidden features. It's my favourite Imagic game!

I like X'Mission (aka Raumpatrouille or UFO Patrol) for its unique concept, and it's one of those blocky-looking games that uses the effect strikingly.

• Like 1