IGNORED

Atari 2600 PAL A/V

Oli

• 1 month later...

Your warning came too late, I did the mod already!

The picture quality is excelent! I can confirm my Atari is still working perfectly after about a month of quite frequent use.

Do you know of any other PAL A/V mods, maybe I could do a comparison test?!

the only difference (as far as your concerned) between the pal and ntsc tia chips are the pinouts

pal atari's use the signals

LUM0 -- pin 7

LUM1 -- pin 5

LUM3 -- pin 6

where NTSC atari's use

LUM0 -- pin 8

LUM1 -- pin 5

LUM2 -- pin 7

a good mod to do a comparison would be the one in the atari 2600 faq (the one with a 4050 buffer and transistor amplifier) or if your atari already has a 4050 in it then try the one I posted in the thread "Atari 2600 video out modification"

I tried the NTSC mods before and they do sorta work, but PAL carts colours dont look right (thats why I used the mod from Radfoo).

Does anyone know of any specific PAL mods I could try? I have a couple of Atari Juniors I could test the mods on.

Here is a modification I designed, its pretty simple - just amplifies the composite video signal before it gets to the modulator

Circuit Diagram

it does require a few modifications to the atari itself though. The audio mixing oscillator needs to be disabled (remove R56) and the rf modulator needs to be taken out of the circuit since it pulls the video signal's amplitude down. To do this you can either cut the trace to the modulator or remove two components inside the modulator (R17 and C33)

This circuit was designed for a PAL atari 2600jr (yes, the colours are correct) but im pretty sure it will work just as well on an NTSC machine.

It will also work for other models of the atari 2600 (and 7800) that have a 4050 chip to buffer the luminance signal -- most ataris have one but some don't eg the "darth vader" model.

to locate the components mentioned refer to

atari 2600jr schematics