IGNORED

New game project...

rocky007

Well, you could view it as that. However, the C-64 has got a border on the left and right which normally isn't visible on the TI-99.

By the way, I just noticed that I goofed here a bit. The timing is actually different between PAL and NTSC machines.

On NTSC machines, the ratio between the TI and the Atari 8-bit which I gave is correct. However, the ratio between the TI and the C-64 is a bit different... it's not 1:1.5, but 1:1.524 due to the dot clock actually being 8/14 of the color burst * 4, thus 32/14 of the color burst, not 36/16 as I thought it would be. However, on the PAL C-64, it is 1:1.468, so a bit lower than I thought it would be. This is due to the fact that apparently the clock of the TI VDP is still exactly the same for PAL (is this really true or is the datasheet wrong here?), while that of the VIC is somewhat lowered.

This also makes the TI to Atari ratio a bit strange at 1:1.321 instead of 1:1.333. But in general, I think my initial values are somewhat off. One point to note, however, is the VIC-20, which on NTSC has got exactly double the pixel size of the C-64, but in PAL, 16 pixels on the C-64 are the same width as 9 pixels on the VIC-20, and 8 hi-res pixels on the Atari 8-bit are the same width as 5 hi-res pixels on the VIC-20.

Hello Everybody! :)

I read this TI-99 programming forum sometimes, since TI-99/4A and MSX are "sister machines" :) and now I found this Bruce Lee topic.

Since it looks like you don´t know this, I will give you this link: :)

Maybe it helps somehow to see how Bruce Lee could look on TI. :)

(I guess some of you have now guessed what this link shows, right?:))

Anyway, enjoy video, although as you can hear, sadly the programmer is not a musician.

Regards,

MäSäXi

Welcome MäSäXi !

It's always nice to have fellow home computer buddies check out our little group here ;)

Your nickame sounds familiar. Can it be that you are on the MSX resource ? I check that one out on a regular basis (as a lurker).

Ah the MSX and the MSX DEV homebrew games; very nice.... I like Malaika a lot :)

Yes welcome! Glad you're here visiting. If you care to take a look at some TI games recently developed, I can hook you up with a link to DL Classic99 and a link to my page to DL the recent SSGC programming contest compendium. What these guys did in 30 lines of XBasic code is amazing!

Hello again and thank you for welcoming me! ;) Well, yes, you remember correctly, retroclouds. :) I still keep commenting on MSX Resource Center´s topics.

Opry99er, I will gladly look at your links. :)

There are many interesting TI-99/4A topics in this forum, me thinks. :) It is interesting to see game projects of other TMS-99-1/2-8 computer :love: even though games will not run on MSX. :)

This is my website:

http://www.opry99er.com

this is a link to the SSGC compendium, screenshots, and game instructions for each game

http://www.opry99er.com/ssgc.php

you can DL the Classic99 TI-99 emulator right here on this forum in the development resources thread... It can also be accessed via Tursi's website, the harmless lion.

http://harmlesslion.com/

if you'd like a good list of a multitude of TI resources and whatnot, click here:

http://www.opry99er.com/ti-994a-website-links.php

Edited by Opry99er

Hello Everybody! :)

I read this TI-99 programming forum sometimes, since TI-99/4A and MSX are "sister machines" :) and now I found this Bruce Lee topic.

Since it looks like you don´t know this, I will give you this link: :)

Maybe it helps somehow to see how Bruce Lee could look on TI. :)

(I guess some of you have now guessed what this link shows, right?:))

Anyway, enjoy video, although as you can hear, sadly the programmer is not a musician.

Regards,

MäSäXi

Thanks for the link. I checked all adaptation of original Bruce Lee, MSX included. Finally, i prefered to keep the C64 base, to be closer possible.

I need to start seriously this conversion, for now, i'm finishing my TI99 modifications ( Pebox with Hxc included, finishing box including CF7+ & speech and output for Pexbox ). In fact, i'm seriously thinking in including everything in Pebox.

After this, in hollyday i will start conversion seriously....an before, i will release little surprise i'm working on for now.

Rocky, Ok I thought you didn´t knew MSX version exists, as it was not mentioned in this topic. :) I strongly suggest by using Commodore 64 sounds (I haven´t played Atari one, I don´t know how it will sound like) as MSX programmer haven´t translated that good sound effect which happens when you collect a lamp. That effect is not that hard to program, me thinks. I don´t remember if there was some other sound effects which were different on MSX conversion, but that broken fluorescent lamp is quiet on MSX at least, I don´t remember anymore, if it was flashing at all on MSX.

Thank you for your links, opry99er. :)

I haven´t looked everything yet, as there were so many links in your links. :D But I must say, that I liked the screenshots of SSGC games and other game projects! :) About SSGC screenshots, Fly Guy was my favourite! :) I have always loved everykind of "pacman" type games! I have bored to Pacman ages ago, but will play interesting variants gladly! :)

I loved those Honeycomb Rapture paper and pen sketches!! :love: Just like the old days!!!! :)

Edited by mäsäxi

Thanks MäSäXi. :). I still do alot of my work on graph paper. Until recently, I didn't have any good programs to help me plot screens or design SPRITEs, so I used my graph paper exclusively. I have an entire notebook somewhere full of graphing plots for Honeycomb Rapture, Lemonade Stand, Beryl Reichardt, etc. Since sometimes99er created Patrerns.swf, Codex created Magellan, and the recent "sometimes99er creation" "Beryl," I have found a real nice balance between graph paper and PC applications. It saves me DAYS of work!!!! Do you know how long it took me to design every single Honeycomb Rapture graphic by hand and then convert every graphic to hex, going row by row by row for each of the 8 bee positions, the plane, flowers, honeycomb, UFOs, Queen Bee tokens, etc?! If I'd had Magellan and patterns.swf T the time--- wow.... That's why I want to re-make the game to be more efficient. So many "CALL HCHARs".... With having the entire screen in DATA statements, it will save me a few seconds of slow ass XB pre-scan time too.

:cool:

Nice to see and hear that someone still honours "old fashioned" graphics designing. (by the way, nowadays´ PC&MAC graphic makers should be forced to design ALL their work on graph paper first and then program their graphics into computer using READ and DATA statements (and bit different way on TI-99/4A I think?:) or does your computer has READ and DATA... I have seen TI-99/4A program character and sprite definitions done different way, me thinks)... first 8 X 1 pixel row, then second 8 X 1 pixel row etc, that should teach nowadays graphic artists what computing is!! :lust: :D)

I do know, that it takes A LONG TIME to design and draw nice sprites and characters on paper. But it is part of fun. :)

Good sprite editor saves awfully lot of time.... though it makes me feel a bit "guilty", for not using colouring pencils and paper instead.... but still it can take a lot of time to design good looking sprites (especially bigger multicolour ones) on 16 X 16 grid.... :) of course that depends, how artistical somebody is or which kind of graphics somebody wants to make. :)

Edited by mäsäxi

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...