IGNORED

bataribasic.com planned updates

batari

I just posted a modification to the multisprite_kernel.asm in that thread. But both versions of the kernel-- standard and multisprite-- have a timing issue with the score routine that causes one of the sprites to be updated 1 color clock too soon or too late. I think the issue was always there, but was never visible because the score digits have a blank column where the timing is off, so it never made a visible difference, but the difference shows up when that bit column isn't blank. I haven't worked out the fix for that yet. :(

Michael

To clarify:

In the standard kernel, the last digit of the score is updated 1 color clock too late. That is, the first pixel column of the 6th digit ends up being the same as the first pixel column of the 4th digit. I think shifting all the digits to the right 1 color clock should fix it, but I haven't tried it yet.

In the multisprite kernel, the first digit of the score is updated 1 color clock too soon. That is, the last pixel column of the 1st digit ends up being the same as the last pixel column of the 3rd digit. So shifting all the digits to the left 1 color clock should fix it-- in theory! :)

The problem with shifting is you have to choose between hitting the last digit one color clock too late or the first one color clock early. The issue is the timing of the pfscore bars has no flexibility.

There may be another way to fix it but I haven't figured out how.

Any possibility of supporting supercharger in any format other than basic 4K no extra ram. While I don't understand 80% of what goes on in detail, I think that if the one of the other modes might be able to be converted to work on a supercharger. Isn't there a 4k with extra ram? or a 2k with 2k ram?

Probably not, at least not any more than what I already did for bB/Supercharger support. Supercharger programming kind of left a bad taste in my mouth. The 6k of RAM seemed promising but it's 6k total space no matter if you're using it as ROM or RAM. The result was that 6k disappeared way too quickly and programming my game started to become a huge pain.

Current plans are to expand bB to use the new DPC+ scheme.

OK, I re-read your posts about twisty passages (which I do like) and I guess I'll do without! I just need to bite the bullet and buy another Harmony. I really have no urge or time to learn assembly, (maybe not the skills either...) so if I need more ram, that is my only option.

Thanks though for a great app!

The problem with shifting is you have to choose between hitting the last digit one color clock too late or the first one color clock early. The issue is the timing of the pfscore bars has no flexibility.

There may be another way to fix it but I haven't figured out how.

I was afraid that might be the case. It should be possible to time the update of all the sprite copies so everything is kosher, but that's in situations where there aren't other things being updated on the same line. I knew you'd previously mentioned that the score was moved off-center for reasons related to the pfscore and lives remaining, so I figured it might not be as simple as just nudging all of the sprites 1 color clock to the right (standard kernel) or left (multisprite kernel). Oh, well... I'll have to look at the code and see if anything comes to mind.

Michael

I would like to see a way for bB to be able to use more than one kernel at a time. Not even sure if this is useful.. Like for example, if you were doing say 8k or larger it could use bank 3 for one kernel, bank 4 for another, you would be able to use multisprite AND regular. You'd call drawscreen or drawscreenmulti to use either of them, but not both at the same time.

any plans to have speech capabilities added to bB?

I know that some games have the speech either by special cart or use atarivox

but it would be awesome to have speech.

half of my Ti-99/4a ex-basic games and projects included the choice of speech or not.

it's the one thing I liked programing in x-basic (as well as the use of sprites)

Yep, I've been wanting that also.. speech/high score save capabilities. The more people who support AtariVox the better.

any plans to have speech capabilities added to bB?

I know that some games have the speech either by special cart or use atarivox

but it would be awesome to have speech.

half of my Ti-99/4a ex-basic games and projects included the choice of speech or not.

it's the one thing I liked programing in x-basic (as well as the use of sprites)

• 4 months later...