IGNORED

What incredible moment in a game were you unprepared for?

I can't remember any "jump out of my seat" moments when playing video games, but I do remember a lot of jaw-drops while playing the Descent series. Descent was the first game I played that used "real" music played off the CD. Descent II was the first game I played that had animatics to move the story along. Both were really surprising and cool when I saw them for the first time.

Somebody tell me, was that Bruce Boxleitner playing the voice of the Material Defender in the Descent series? Sure does sound like him, though I've never seen a credit confirming this.

My first thought was the DOgs jumping through the hallway windows on PLaystation 1's Resident Evil, but then there were th zombies and I thought of another original game....

Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory for PS2.

I started out on the beach somewhere and my tv was set to super dark, so I had no idea of where to go to progress from this dark beach setting. Alll I could hear from the surround sound was the waves crashing on the beach as I searched about.

Coming across an entrance into some sort of a cave, which appeared even darker now than the moonlit beach front I could hear sounds in the backgroudn of an electric surge of some sorts. As I came closer to the end of a hall way with in the cave, the sound became increasingly clearer.\

As I turned the corner, some militants shot me dead and I never played the game again......

I think I got kinda scared...

I had one just recently!

The first end boss in Gaiares. I literally shouted, "Holy [edit]s-word[/edit]!" :thumbsup:

The stage 5 midboss in that game is insane. No extra shields the entire level, and you have to keep dodging all this stuff in an extremely confined space. The guy playing here in this video makes it look easy... (the part I'm referring to is at the 2:10 mark)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P51lWkEdARQ

It was the stupid stage 6 final boss that ultimately made me give up.

Seconded for the FF7 thing, but it really needs spoiler tags.

It's nice that you're concerned for others, but I think this one is the videogame equivalent of telling someone that the titanic sunk before they see the movie.

Not to mention all these games posted so far are pretty old. :)

When it comes to spoilers, I follow the same rule for video games as I do for movies, books, and TV shows -- I'll not use any spoilers for the first year after it comes out. After that, all bets are off. :D

1 year is pretty tight - it's been a long time since I finished, or even bought, a game that was that young at the time. They sell in the $20 bin for a few years after that. But FF7 is indeed pretty old now.

The Titanic analogy doesn't work - that's an obvious historical fact, a character in a plot-heavy game (or movie) getting killed is not.

Not that the Aeris thing is a problem for me personally - I'm unlikely to ever finish it and it was spoiled for me a long time ago.

I am of course being both facetious and hyperbolic, but as far as games go, Sephiroth and Aeris are part of history like any famous fictional characters. Do we watch it with spoilers for Macbeth? HINT: people die.

Not being snarky, just pointing out that it is a famous enough scene that it's part of history, even if a small part.

Two deep vector-graphics moments come to mind.

The first time I defeated the ship in Star Castle, and the whole shebang... implodes. Gorgeous and surprising.

Sitting down to play Tempest for the first time, getting past the level and the whole shebang.. zooms around you. I felt higher than I'd ever been.

I forget if it was Wing Commander 1 or 2, but the one female pilot (I forget her name) doing a suicide mission to save the fleet. That was cool.

More recently, the second-to-last level of Dead Space: Extraction on Wii had a really cool "holy crap, I can't believe I have to do this" moment which I don't want to give away. Took me a while to figure out what I needed to do, but when I did it was a great gaming moment.

Resident Evil: Code Veronica on Dreamcast, my first horror survival(?) game. Like all good children do, I was raised on a steady diet of video game, and I'd heard good things about RE but thought the scariness was fake.

"A scary video game, are they high?"

The first time I jumped, early on in the game when a zombie unexpectedly crashes through a window, I thought the game just got lucky in catching me off guard, surprising me. Then it happened a few more times.

That video games could actually be scary, even if only for brief moments, was something I was never expecting.

I was unprepared for the experience of playing DOOM 1 for the first time. It wasn't just the first time I played DOOM, it was the first time I played an FPS at all.

It was late at night on headphones, which always helps. I learned my way through the first level. Then I got to the 2nd level, whose music and layout encouraged a tense, contemplative approach. I tiptoed through the level and got jump scared a few times, and barely survived to the finish. Awesome stuff.

Flashback, and tons of content in it. That game rocked my world, at least after the first few levels. To this day, it is still one of my favorite games ever.

I agree!!.I have Flashback for PC.It's one of the best games I've ever played, bar none!!

I was unprepared for the experience of playing DOOM 1 for the first time. It wasn't just the first time I played DOOM, it was the first time I played an FPS at all.

It was late at night on headphones, which always helps. I learned my way through the first level. Then I got to the 2nd level, whose music and layout encouraged a tense, contemplative approach. I tiptoed through the level and got jump scared a few times, and barely survived to the finish. Awesome stuff.

Doom blew me away in 93 or 94 when I first played it. Was the most graphic game I had played at that time. The lighting and environment, Using chainsaw was just so unbelievable. Then the ending with the impaled rabbit's head was the most incredible moment, shocked me, didn't see that coming.

Edited by cvgplus

The 1st, 1st person shooter I played was BLOOD.I never expected all the references from all my favorite horror flicks, like PHANTASM, FRIDAY THE 13TH, ALIENS, and a bunch of others, a real treat that was!The WRAITHS coming at you all of a sudden, and the blood curdling scream they emitted!.That was most scary the 1st time of course!

Edited by Rik

After installing a SoundBlaster in my old 386 and a 1 meg video card, I fired up Doom. The lights were off and I was home alone. I was sitting playing just wandering around enjoying real music for the first time(you're humming the tune right now aren't you?) ever in a game. Then something growled, really loudly from what seemed like behind me :D

I've never jumped so high and been so scared since. Incredible how pixels and a growl could create such a great memory.

LOL! I had something similar happen when I first hooked up my systems to my surround sound system. I kept pausing it to see what was making noise outside the window. But it never made the sound after I paused it. Don't remember what game it was though...

In Tiberian Sun: Firestorm, when the Cabal Defender woke, that took me by surprise. Let me just recommend having enough Titans and /or Tick Tanks to cover a couple of screens when that thing wakes up. The first time I killed it with about fifteen Banshees. They had to reload several times, and the Defender covered most of the map before the Banshees were able to destroy it.