IGNORED

ADAM'S Desktop?

coleconut

Here's ROM dumps of my Walter's Software carts. I've got a PDF of the ADAM's Desktop manual but I'm having trouble getting it added to this post.

attachicon.gifADAMs_Desktop_version11_1991(ADAM)(Walters Software) .bin

attachicon.gifDefender (ADAM)(Walters Software) .bin

attachicon.gifSmartDSK_1989_ (ADAM) (Walters Software).bin

attachicon.gifIMG_2673.JPG

Thanks for the 3 cartridge rom images, I have verified that they all work perfectly when ran from the ATARIMAX Ultimate SD cartridge when connected to a ADAM computer (They should also work fine from ATARIMAX’s 128 in 1 USB cartridge when ran from a ADAM computer).

The ADAM’s Desktop rom image you posted is version 1.1 from 1991. Without doing research in NIAD newsletters I believe that is the latest version of ADAM’s Desktop that was released. I do have a version 1.0 manual of ADAM’s Desktop like in your picture. If you cannot find the PDF version, sometime in the future I will try and make time to scan mine in. It appears a version 1.1 of the manual does not exist, and version 1.0 manual was the latest for ADAM’s Desktop. Thanks for the SmarkDisk cartridge rom image.

I know Walters Software was involved in fixing Defender so that it would work from the standalone ADAM computer (The ATARISOFT released version only worked with the ColecoVision, the fixed rom image works from both the standalone ADAM and the ColecoVision). I have a rom copy of ADAM Defender on 3.5 inch disk from the late 80’s since my original ColecoVision Defender cartridge would not work on a standalone ADAM. I did not realize Walters Software came out with an official ADAM cartridge of Defender, I always thought that was someone else that released the Defender cartridge. I tested the Defender rom image and it works perfectly fine from a standalone ADAM computer.

Walters Software company in the late 80’s and early 90’s created some of the best third party software for the ADAM computer. Walter Software used the EOS operating system with easy to use Smart Keys. Coleco originally released the ADAM computer with EOS version 5, however with the help of Walters Software Coleco’s unreleased EOS 6 was released on eprom to the ADAM community back in the late 80’s. EOS 6 removed some bugs in EOS 5 and it was 100% compatible with all the ADAM software. Coleco was working on EOS 7 but it had bugs and it was never released since it was not finished. All or most of Walter Software programs use his own operating system called EOS 9, which was the best EOS system. EOS 9 worked with most programs, however I think Supergames required either EOS 5 or EOS 6 to run.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Thanks for posting the rom dumps. I had forgotten that you had already made dumps available some four years ago. Attach below is the SmartBASIC v1.1 rom dump. So the only cartridge release that we are missing from Walters Software is the SmartMATE cartridge that he released for use with the Micro Innovations line of Hard Drives.

So as far as Disk and/or Data Pack software that we are missing from Walters Software Co. due to the copy protection (bad block check) implemented by Jim W. after rampant piracy of his programs or other reasons:

- The Vase of Turr

- Decimal Disassembler

- E.O.S. Programming Kit

- Formatter II

- Formatter III

- Graphics Converter

- Media Aid

- Media Aid Plus

- Media Aid Plus 2 for SmartBASIC 2.0

- PrBoot

- RamDISK 2 for SmartBASIC 2.0

- RamDISK 256K

- Screen Saver

- SmartDSK II for Device #2

- The Label Works (Disk version)

- SpellingAID

- SpellingAID Dictionary Packs

Thanks Jim from NIAD, I verified that the SmartBasic version 1.1 cartridge rom image works from a ADAM computer when using a ATARIMAX cartridge. However that cartridge rom version is the Digital Data Pack version. Walters Software also had a SmartBasic version 1.1 that was a Disk version, and I believe he told me that was available on cartridge also. We are also missing the SmartWriter Elite cartridge and the unreleased Smartwriter R81-R84 cartridge rom images that Walters Software created. Only Smartwriter version R80 was released for the ADAM computer, it would be awesome to have the other unreleased versions on cartridge rom format.

Technically it’s possible for a programmer to convert any ADAM disk or Digital Data Pack to run as a cartridge rom image. It sometimes takes a lot of time. Jim Walters in the 90’s was limited to 32KB sizes for cartridges, so he was limited on which ADAM programs could be converted to a cartridge rom image. In the 21st Century with 32GB SDHC cards there is plenty of storage space for any existing cartridge rom size up to 32GB. Team Pixelboy with a lot of hardwork has converted many of the released and unreleased Coleco ADAM Supergames to a ColecoVision rom image with cartridge sizes up to 256KB.

Instead of a programmer spending time to convert Donkey Kong the Supergame, Donkey Kong Junior Supergame (unreleased 5 screen version), Family Feud, and Jeopardy to a cartridge rom image. In theory the Ultimate SD cartridge should be able to emulate a ADAMNET Disk drive with a special software update (EOS patch), then any ADAM program could be run from the ATARIMAX Ultimate SD cartridge without a programmer needing to spend time manually converting over a 100 ADAM disk images to over a 100 different cartridge ROM formats. Some of the ADAM programs require an ADAM computer to run, but other ADAM programs like games that do not use any ADAM keyboard only need the ColecoVision videogame system.

Back in the 80’s and early 90’s there was only a few programs I purchased from Walter’s Software directly (Walters brother also for a year or two had an ADAM software company under a different company name). Therefore, I do not have many of the Walters Software items on your list. When I did business with Walter’s Software I was mainly paying Jim to make special disk conversions of Coleco Supergames that were only released on Digital Data Pack. In addition, I was working with Walter’s Software to get unreleased Coleco software repaired so that it would work properly. My main interest in the ADAM from 1983 to early 90's was to play Coleco Supergames. Plus I used Smartwriter word processing a lot and a few other programs.

I have the Prboot manual and software on disk. The following 3 programs I have the original manual and 3.5 inch disk for: Ramboot, Formatter 3, and SpellingAID. I have the latest version of Formatter 3 that was designed to work with Micro Innovations 1.44MB 3.5 inch disk drive (this is the unreleased version, the released version worked with up to 720KB 3.5 disk drives). I also have a special custom unreleased version of SpellingAID on 3.5 inch disk that automatically loads the SpellingAID Dictionary Packs, including custom unreleased dictionary packs that Walter Software created. This version of SpellingAID uses 247KB of space on the 3.5 inch disk, and its my understanding that Walters Software used lossless compression and when this program loads, it requires a minimum of a 512KB memory expander in the ADAM computer. It’s a real cool program that copies a super large dictionary (large in 1988 standards) to the memory expander. This 247KB version of SpellingAID would be ideal for someone to convert to a cartridge rom image for instant loading by the Ultimate SD cartridge.

I have been extremely busy working on projects and have not had time to work on the ADAM computer. Therefore it might be the fourth quarter of 2018 or later before I get these manuals and programs uploaded online. Jim Walters sent me instructions on how I might remove his copy protection off the 3.5 inch disk and copy the programs to a ADAM SD Floppy emulator for public domain release. I just have not had the time to test to see if it well work.

The last time I communicated with Walter’s Software (a couple of months ago), it is my understanding that he has no more ADAM stuff. He either got rid of it or placed it in storage. He had some unique in house Coleco test cartridges and technical manuals. If you need his email address to contact him directly, then send me a email requesting his email address. Again, Walter’s Software mailing address and landline phone is exactly the same as the one listed in the 80’s and 90’s software instruction manuals he released for the ADAM computer. Calling him is another way to get a hold of Jim Walters.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Sure glad I opened this thread... I thought my Defender cartridge had simply died, didnt know it didnt work on the ADAM. Why is it that it doesnt work?

The standalone ADAM computer is only 99% or 99.9% compatible with the original ColecoVision game cartridges because the ColecoVision motherboard in the ADAM uses slightly different hardware and software when compared to the ColecoVision game console. There is only like two game cartridge titles that well not work on the standalone ADAM computer unless someone manually modifies the games to fix the issue. The only advantage of the standalone ADAM is its dedicated composite video output, most people prefer to use a ColecoVision game system with Expansion module #3 ADAM computer for 100% cartridge compatibility. Some people modify their ColecoVision game system for HDMI or composite video output and also the black ColecoVision game console has a nice place to store two game controllers.

When ATARISOFT developed Defender in 1983, for some reason they never tested the game on a standalone ADAM computer (Defender runs on standalone ADAM, but space ship well not move up when controller is pushed up). Therefore, it was a mistake that ATARISOFT released a game that only worked on the original ColecoVision. The ADAM came out in October 1983 and Coleco either did not know or decided not to fix this cartridge software problem on the last generation of ADAM computers that were manufactured in Jan of 1985.

In addition, the 1982 ColecoVision and 1983 ADAM computer used early 80’s technology, and the ability to offer firmware updates to the BIOS did not exist. It is too bad that the ColecoVision and ADAM only used roms for is BIOS and not EEPROMS. It would have been awesome if a cartridge, Digital Data Pack, or Disk could have offered a firmware update to the standalone ADAM to fix the ColecoVision BIOS issue. Also the original October 1983 Expansion module #3 ADAM computers shipped with Smartwriter chips that would freeze the ADAM computer when entering the Smartwriter word processing mode (ADAM was rushed to market in late 1983). Everyone had to return their first batch of ADAM computers to the store because of the Smartwriter bug problem. It killed Coleco’s stock price and gave a bad reputation to the ADAM computer. This Smartwriter technical glitch and a few others gave the ADAM a bad reputation, which resulted in Coleco leaving the videogame and computer market in Jan 1985. If a firmware upgradable eeprom chips could have been used for Smartwriter, then Coleco 800 customer service could have sent out Smartwriter firmware updates on a Digital Data Pack to all their customers in the mail to fix the freezing unusable Smartwrter issue. Instead since the ADAM was not firmware upgradable, everyone had to exchange their computer back in the fourth quarter of 1983. It took me around 3 or 4 times exchanging a ADAM computer until I got one with a working Smartwriter rom image. Everything else was working except for the built in Smartwriter program. I could play Buck Rodgers the Supergame and use SmartBasic from Digital Data Pack.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Sure glad I opened this thread... I thought my Defender cartridge had simply died, didnt know it didnt work on the ADAM. Why is it that it doesnt work?

Defender by AtaiSoft and Super Cobra by Parker Bros. place there games at certain locations in memory that work perfectly on the ColecoVision, but cause conflicts on the ADAM. These are the only two games that were programmed to use these memory locations and thankfully they were patched BITD and then again a couple of years ago by Nanochess.

If you do a search on Defender, Super Cobra, patch, Nanochess in the forum, you will be able to read all the specifics in more detail.

The ADAM version of Defender released on cartridge with the nice Atarisoft replica label was actually a collaboration effort by CBS Software, Telegames and eColeco (Adam's House).

Walters Software company in the late 80’s and early 90’s created some of the best third party software for the ADAM computer. Walter Software used the EOS operating system with easy to use Smart Keys. Coleco originally released the ADAM computer with EOS version 5, however with the help of Walters Software Coleco’s unreleased EOS 6 was released on eprom to the ADAM community back in the late 80’s. EOS 6 removed some bugs in EOS 5 and it was 100% compatible with all the ADAM software. Coleco was working on EOS 7 but it had bugs and it was never released since it was not finished. All or most of Walter Software programs use his own operating system called EOS 9, which was the best EOS system. EOS 9 worked with most programs, however I think Supergames required either EOS 5 or EOS 6 to run.

Walters indeed was one of the best ADAM software developers in the 80/90s.

Coleco released EOS7 as part of the Disk Manager program that came with each and every Disk Drive sold and EOS7 is also included with SmartBASIC 2.0. When you boot one of these programs, EOS7 is loaded into memory and replaces EOS5 and then Disk Manager or SB 2.0 is loaded. You can boot a large number of programs thru Disk Manager and EOS7 stays in memory since you did not press the COMPUTER RESET. The same can be done in SB 2.0 thru the use of a soft computer reset using a CALL... I think CALL 64743 but would have to double check that address.

BTW, it is widely stated that EOS7 is the version number supplied with these two programs, but I seem to recall the disassembly of this updated EOS listing out EOS6 in a comment line. So either the comment line was not updated to EOS7 by the programmers or EOS7 is actually EOS6.

Are you sure Walters called their updated operating system EOS9? I ask this because Rich Drushel (Dr. D) called his updated operating system EOS9.

Thanks Jim from NIAD, I verified that the SmartBasic version 1.1 cartridge rom image works from a ADAM computer when using a ATARIMAX cartridge. However that cartridge rom version is the Digital Data Pack version. Walters Software also had a SmartBasic version 1.1 that was a Disk version, and I believe he told me that was available on cartridge also. We are also missing the SmartWriter Elite cartridge and the unreleased Smartwriter R81-R84 cartridge rom images that Walters Software created. Only Smartwriter version R80 was released for the ADAM computer, it would be awesome to have the other unreleased versions on cartridge rom format.

Indeed, the SB v1.1 rom image defaults to Data Drive #1 when looking to load a HELLO program or for any I/O operations that do not define the drive with a ".......,d#" command. It would be an easy patch seeing as there is only one address that needs to be changed to make it default to Disk Drive #1.

Forgot about the SmartWRITER Elite cart. Would be surprised to hear that anyone has this one.

The unreleased SmartWRITER R81, R81 alt and R84 Proms were acquired by Doug Rosenvinge and then passed on to us (NIAD). I sent them to Jim W. for dumping and disassembly. They are available in my ADAM Archive and on Joe B's site with full details. You can use them with all ADAM emulators in there current state, just rename them to WP.ROM. As far as I recall, Jim W. never made cartridge versions of these ADAM Logic Board Proms, but with a few small hacks to where and how the SmartWRITER program loads into memory, you can convert these into rom images to load via an AtariMax MultiCart... see the thread where JamesD hacked the IDE HDD Driver eprom dump to convert it to a cartridge rom image.

Back in the 80’s and early 90’s there was only a few programs I purchased from Walter’s Software directly (Walters brother also for a year or two had an ADAM software company under a different company name).

That was a bad scene, kinda like what you see happen here between the big 3 developers of ColecoVision games now-a-days, and hopefully the brothers worked out their differences over time. Bruce's company was called Hexace Software.

I have been extremely busy working on projects and have not had time to work on the ADAM computer. Therefore it might be the fourth quarter of 2018 or later before I get these manuals and programs uploaded online. Jim Walters sent me instructions on how I might remove his copy protection off the 3.5 inch disk and copy the programs to a ADAM SD Floppy emulator for public domain release. I just have not had the time to test to see if it well work.

Excuses, excuses, excuses!!! You had time to test out all the rom dumps ed1475 and I just posted!!! :P

But seriously, send me the instructions that Jim W. shared with you seeing as I have three or four of his copy protected programs on 5 1/4" disk and the info might allow me to finally make working disk images of these programs. One in particular that I know people would really enjoy is The Vase of Turr which is a very good adventure game that uses SmartKEY displays like 2010: The Text Adventure and graphic screens like, but not as good as, The Temple of the Snow Dragon.

Walters indeed was one of the best ADAM software developers in the 80/90s.

Coleco released EOS7 as part of the Disk Manager program that came with each and every Disk Drive sold and EOS7 is also included with SmartBASIC 2.0. When you boot one of these programs, EOS7 is loaded into memory and replaces EOS5 and then Disk Manager or SB 2.0 is loaded. You can boot a large number of programs thru Disk Manager and EOS7 stays in memory since you did not press the COMPUTER RESET. The same can be done in SB 2.0 thru the use of a soft computer reset using a CALL... I think CALL 64743 but would have to double check that address.

BTW, it is widely stated that EOS7 is the version number supplied with these two programs, but I seem to recall the disassembly of this updated EOS listing out EOS6 in a comment line. So either the comment line was not updated to EOS7 by the programmers or EOS7 is actually EOS6.

Are you sure Walters called their updated operating system EOS9? I ask this because Rich Drushel (Dr. D) called his updated operating system EOS9.

In the late 80's when I spoke with Walter's Software, he always called his operating system EOS 9. And only Walters Software used EOS 9 and he never licensed his operating system to anyone else. Walter's software mentioned to me that EOS 7 was never completed by Coleco and that Walter's EOS 9 is in someways was a finished version of Coleco's EOS 7. Remember SmartBasic 2.0 never was released and contained many bugs. If it was using EOS 7 this would make sense since I was told EOS 7 was never completed. All ADAM's including the Jan 1985 ADAM's shipped with EOS 5. Walter Software sent me a unreleased EOS 6 eprom which I installed in my ADAM by taken it apart and removing EOS 5. A dozen or more ADAM owners purchased EOS 6 and placed it in their ADAM since it is 100% compatible with all original Coleco software. However since EOS 9 by Walter's Software was more powerful operating system that worked with most (not all) ADAM programs. Many people just left their EOS 5 rom chip in the ADAM and used a cartridge, disk, or Digital Data Pack to load EOS 9. Walter's EOS 9 was never made available as a direct replacement for the ADAM's EOS 5, and one of the reasons is because only EOS 5 and EOS 6 was 100% compatible with all Coleco ADAM software. In one of the NIAD newsletters there is a issue that talks about the unreleased Coleco EOS 6 eprom by Walter's Software and a SmartBasic command one can use to check and see what version of EOS one is using.

Edited by HDTV1080P

We have SmartWriter Elite on disk...is this a different beast than the cart version?

It most likely is exactly the same version on cartridge. However its much easier to copy (dump) a existing cartridge rom image then to modify a ADAM disk program so that it runs from the cartridge rom slot. With more and more Coleco ADAM programs being released into public domain, products like the ATARIMAX USB and SD cartridges are becoming a very nice way to load Coleco ADAM programs.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Indeed, the SB v1.1 rom image defaults to Data Drive #1 when looking to load a HELLO program or for any I/O operations that do not define the drive with a ".......,d#" command. It would be an easy patch seeing as there is only one address that needs to be changed to make it default to Disk Drive #1.

Forgot about the SmartWRITER Elite cart. Would be surprised to hear that anyone has this one.

The unreleased SmartWRITER R81, R81 alt and R84 Proms were acquired by Doug Rosenvinge and then passed on to us (NIAD). I sent them to Jim W. for dumping and disassembly. They are available in my ADAM Archive and on Joe B's site with full details. You can use them with all ADAM emulators in there current state, just rename them to WP.ROM. As far as I recall, Jim W. never made cartridge versions of these ADAM Logic Board Proms, but with a few small hacks to where and how the SmartWRITER program loads into memory, you can convert these into rom images to load via an AtariMax MultiCart... see the thread where JamesD hacked the IDE HDD Driver eprom dump to convert it to a cartridge rom image.

Back between 1983 to early 90’s I used the R80 Smartwriter word processor a lot (In 83 it most likely was R57 I used until I exchanged the ADAM and got R80). However sometime around 1993 or 94 I switch to Windows 3.1 for the first time with Microsoft word. I loved the 80 column display with misspelled words underlined in red. Therefore I never got a chance to try out R81 to R84 Smartwriter. It is a big hassle to take the ADAM computer apart and switch out the Smartwriter R80 proms to a R81-R84 eproms. Today the ATARIMAX USB and SD cartridges would be ideal to load the unreleased versions of Smartwriter. In one of my conversations with Walter’s software it sounded like he developed a cartridge rom version of one or all the unreleased Smartwriter programs in a cartridge format. However it is my understanding that he no longer has any ADAM items or they were placed in storage.

Also the unreleased Smartwriter R81-R84 programs should be converted to a Disk and Digital Data Pack format for those that do not own a ATARIMAX USB or SD cartridge. Most ADAM owners including me have not seen the unreleased Smartwriter programs since it requires one to own a eprom burner and for one to spend hours taking apart their ADAM computer to install. If they were available in cartridge, Disk, and Digital Data Pack format then people could use it on a real ADAM computer.

Edited by HDTV1080P

Excuses, excuses, excuses!!! You had time to test out all the rom dumps ed1475 and I just posted!!! :P

But seriously, send me the instructions that Jim W. shared with you seeing as I have three or four of his copy protected programs on 5 1/4" disk and the info might allow me to finally make working disk images of these programs. One in particular that I know people would really enjoy is The Vase of Turr which is a very good adventure game that uses SmartKEY displays like 2010: The Text Adventure and graphic screens like, but not as good as, The Temple of the Snow Dragon.

I emailed you Jim Walters email address and information he gave me to remove the copy protection so his products can be released into public domain.

You can use the Prom dumps of the unreleased SmartWRITER version with all ADAM emulators if you want to give them a test drive. Just download the zip files from Joe B's website, unzip, rename the file to WP.ROM and place in your emulator directory. A lot easier and faster than trying to setup on a real ADAM Computer.

Yes, in SmartBASIC you can PEEK into a certain location to view the EOS revision. Will have to look that one up.

Edited by NIAD

You can use the Prom dumps of the unreleased SmartWRITER version with all ADAM emulators if you want to give them a test drive. Just download the zip files from Joe B's website, unzip, rename the file to WP.ROM and place in your emulator directory. A lot easier and faster than trying to setup on a real ADAM Computer.

Yes, in SmartBASIC you can PEEK into a certain location to view the EOS revision. Will have to look that one up.

Thanks for the information. I have not been able to get a ADAM emulator to work properly on a Windows 64 bit operating system. Maybe something I am doing wrong. The ColecoVison emulators work great, but the ADAM emulators so far have not worked for me and I prefer using a real ADAM computer. I wish the person that made the Windows 64 bit version of Stella for the Atari 2600 would make a 64 bit ColecoVision/ADAM emulator. The quality of the Stella emulation program is awesome.

Edited by HDTV1080P

The version I am using for Windows only emulates the ColecoVision and SGM. I was not aware of a CoolCV for the ADAM. What website is that located at?

Just search with google and you're taken back here but a different thread :

http://atariage.com/forums/topic/240800-coolcv-emulator-for-mac-os-x-linux-windows-and-raspberry/

Edited by thetick1

I had an Adam's Desktop cartridge when I had an Adam some 30 years ago. i just left it in all the time as I liked booting up to it. Seems like I can't remember what it did now. Has anyone been able to boot up the rom image on an emulator? I've tried CoolCV and AdamEM with no luck. I even tried renaming the bin file to rom but still no luck.

It will not run via emulation. It will boot on a real ADAM though via the AtariMax cartridge.

I had an Adam's Desktop cartridge when I had an Adam some 30 years ago. i just left it in all the time as I liked booting up to it. Seems like I can't remember what it did now. Has anyone been able to boot up the rom image on an emulator? I've tried CoolCV and AdamEM with no luck. I even tried renaming the bin file to rom but still no luck.

It will not run via emulation. It will boot on a real ADAM though via the AtariMax cartridge.

This means the ADAM emulators are not 100% compatible will some ADAM software. I also had to use a ADAM computer for all the dedicated ADAM cartridges. However since I do not know how to use the ADAM Emulators, I have not been able to get any to work for virtual Disk images or its a problem when using Windows 64 bit. I did not know CoolCV even emulated some ADAM disk images. Is there a instruction manual for CoolCV, since I am only able to get ColecoVision rom images to work.

Edited by HDTV1080P

This means the ADAM emulators are not 100% compatible will some ADAM software. I also had to use a ADAM computer for all the dedicated ADAM cartridges. However since I do not know how to use the ADAM Emulators, I have not been able to get any to work for virtual Disk images or its a problem when using Windows 64 bit. I did not know CoolCV even emulated some ADAM disk images. Is there a instruction manual for CoolCV, since I am only able to get ColecoVision rom images to work.

I have Windows 64 bit and there's been nothing in emulation that I can't run with it. Well.....except Adam's Desktop.

I have Windows 64 bit and there's been nothing in emulation that I can't run with it. Well.....except Adam's Desktop.

Have you tried other dedicated ADAM cartridges like SmartBasic 1.1. There is a possibility that the ADAM emulators do not work with dedicated ADAM cartridge rom images.