IGNORED

Selling Full Collection

bg2001

:rolling: :rolling: :lol: :lol:

Wow. I don't pay attention to this thread for a week and all ___ breaks loose. This is a legit sale. Everything is located in the Midwest. I am considering breaking it up. I have most of the high end stuff in a place that can be easily accessed, so they may get sold separately. As far as individual games or games for individual systems, it would be pretty much impossible to break that stuff out given the way everything got boxed up.

I receive emails when someone pms me on here, so that is the best way to get in touch with me. As you can tell I don't visit this site very often.

For those making fun of me for selling, I just want to say that priorities shift and circumstances change. I lost a job and we had to sell our house, but we hung on to the collection. We are in better shape now, but this is just sitting in storage and I have barely been collecting over the last year. We had a son (who just turned one!) and I think now is a good time to get out of collecting and move on to something else.

Edited by bg2001
  • Like 1

You shouldn't be surprised at the reaction. Lots of folks had a lot of legitimate questions that went unanswered and you don't come off as a serious seller when you provide little info and don't follow up for a long time. Add that to the fact that you've been talking about selling this collection literally for years and, well... you get this. But I wouldn't call this anything breaking loose. Just some light hearted jabbing.

• Like 2

So where exactly are you in the midwest? Like, if you were in St. Louis, I'd be happy to dig through your storage locker! :)

Hey now! Leave St. Louis outta this... that's where I'm at! ;)

And Shadowdoggie, it's obvious the $100 is a fake... it doesn't have the denominations in the corners like the other bills! :)

:rolling: :rolling: :lol: :lol:

Wow. I don't pay attention to this thread for a week and all ___ breaks loose. This is a legit sale. Everything is located in the Midwest. I am considering breaking it up. I have most of the high end stuff in a place that can be easily accessed, so they may get sold separately. As far as individual games or games for individual systems, it would be pretty much impossible to break that stuff out given the way everything got boxed up.

I receive emails when someone pms me on here, so that is the best way to get in touch with me. As you can tell I don't visit this site very often.

For those making fun of me for selling, I just want to say that priorities shift and circumstances change. I lost a job and we had to sell our house, but we hung on to the collection. We are in better shape now, but this is just sitting in storage and I have barely been collecting over the last year. We had a son (who just turned one!) and I think now is a good time to get out of collecting and move on to something else.

Thats great - one suggestion for the future - dont advertise on a site that you dont plan on visiting very often. Esp a site where you posted a similar sale a few years back and also never responded to.

That tends to generate thoughts of it being a hoax and such.

If you are serious and are presenting to a crowd that does collect for older systems then I suggest you come back more often to answer questions.

Sounds like this isnt a 'college fund' request after all again?

• Like 1

What i don't understand is the fact that you lost your job and had to sell the house but hung onto your collection. Seems like it should have been the other way around.:ponder:

According to the mirror sale thread over at DP, he has several 10,000.00 and up cartridges, which could very well explain why he lost the house in the first place...

I don't know. More power to you and all that, but I think it's seriously naive to think you're going to get any half a million dollar offers here or DP. You should look into consigning it to an auction house where they can sell it system by system. It would be like having Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27 and Amazing Fantasy #15 and trying to sell them as a lot on Craigslist.

• Like 1

This just doesn't feel right--

Past history of posting the collection, but no follow up. Recent posting of collection, but no follow up. Perhaps because there were no easy marks that responded, it wasn't worth the time? It would be interesting to see if he logged in and checked the thread and PMs, but didn't bother to follow up with the questions in the thread.

Several people asked about the specific location of the collection. If you're going to drop thousands on a collection and drive to pick it up, I don't think it's unreasonable to ask where it is specifically located. If you are close by a respected member, it would be great to have them verify the collection. Perfect example-- The recent Air Raid and Box sale on EBay. Finally, his response to where it's located? "Everything is in the Midwest".

No pictures, no proof, and no one that can vouch for the guy. Serious collectors tend to run across each other, communicate, and form communities. It's odd that no one knows him.

An interesting backstory, that almost sounds reasonable and tugs a bit at the heartstrings.

Sorry for sounding so cynical. While I'm a newcomer here, I've seen several scams on Anandtech's forums over the years, and I've been actively involved in investigating several very compelling ones. This one has all the same elements of some of the better scams I've seen in the past, but in the end, something always fails to match up. The problem is that some buyers are so emotionally involved with the deal (they fall for the sad backstory, or they want the item so badly) that they ignore all the warning signs.

If you're legit, good luck with the sale, but I think you have a long way to go before you establish credibility around here.

I don't know. More power to you and all that, but I think it's seriously naive to think you're going to get any half a million dollar offers here or DP. You should look into consigning it to an auction house where they can sell it system by system. It would be like having Action Comics #1, Detective Comics #27 and Amazing Fantasy #15 and trying to sell them as a lot on Craigslist.

:thumbsup: Great analogy. This also makes it feel a bit fishy as well-- Throw a wide net to see who will respond and sound emotionally invested.

If this continues to unfold without verifiable proof, it might be a good idea to start looking for the other posts in different forums and contact the admins to warn of the potential for fraud.

I don't have a DP account but apparently there is another sale thread there. I agree that if it came down to a house or collection house would win unless i could and was going to make house out of teh collection. If the guy really is claiming to have carts worth 10K+ but isn't willing post pics etc, is not willing to check a thread much that he started, or even be more accomodating, and is expecting offers larger then what new vehicles cost, those are major red flags imho.

Does anyone know this guy or have any kind of proof?

I don't have a DP account but apparently there is another sale thread there. I agree that if it came down to a house or collection house would win unless i could and was going to make house out of teh collection. If the guy really is claiming to have carts worth 10K+ but isn't willing post pics etc, is not willing to check a thread much that he started, or even be more accomodating, and is expecting offers larger then what new vehicles cost, those are major red flags imho.

Does anyone know this guy or have any kind of proof?

Apparently a few people know of his collection there, where he goes by the name backguard and has been a member since April 2006. Here's a post from that thread:

He has an NWC and a Sealed Myriad, among others. Those are damn near 10k alone, his collection is worth more than many people here make in a year.

I wouldn't call this anywhere near a "serious" thread though, a "serious" thread would do a full part out, or at least by system. No one on here is in any position to make you a fair and respectable offer on the entire collection.

That sums up my thoughts. This thread is either a :

1. Joke

2. Scam

3. A posting from someone who doesn't really want to part with his collection, so he made a half-assed attempt at it ("Honey, look- I put everything up for sale like you told me to!") (I'm guilty of this one myself).

4. A convoluted way of getting everyone to look at his collection and marvel at the sheer bulk of it.

Either way, there's too much cloak and dagger bullshit associated with this sale that even if he were to part it out system by system, I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole. My red flags have been up since the first post.

• Like 1

I added pictures to the OP from when the collection was set up. Also put on some pictures of the higher end items. Everything is stored about 3 hours away, so I won't have pictures of the boxes for awhile. Best way to reach me is still by PM because I get email notifications.