IGNORED

USB to Atari mouse adapter

It's here! The "USB"-to-Atari ST adapter. It was purchased on Monday, October 4th. It was in my mailbox on Saturday, October 9th. It's my opinion that the seller is a no-nonsense, kick-ass-kind-of-guy. He must have sent it immediately, and for that, he is to be commended.

Here's the Ebay auction, in case you're curious.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1206265578631?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120626557863&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

It was really my intention - in raising this question of mouse adapters and opinions/experiences with/etc - to try to provide you with an "off-the-shelf" solution to be the end-all-be-all of ST mouse problems. I am sorry to say that I can not exactly do that, at this time. However, I can say that the mouse-adapter-thingy does work, and I am satisfied! But you should read the rest of this report, before rushing to get your own.

At my non-technical level of understanding, I was under the impression that this thing - while it indeed does have a USB connector, and claims to be USB, and claims to work with "any USB mouse*" (note asterisk) and then there are qualifications, pertaining to the asterisk......is not "really" USB. It's PS/2 (not Playstation, but the IBM PS/2 mouse connector). Sellers of this adapter (there have been more than one) are somewhat vague in which mouse will work with it. They say standard PS/2 protocol and "Microsoft Intellmouse" but I don't know what that really means.

This was, perhaps, one of my first LED/optical mice. It's a Logitech. The ol' man (my pops) bought a Compaq (HP) a few years ago, and the std. ball mouse started giving up the ghost. I reached into the Rubbermaid tub a couple years ago and produced this mouse for him. After failing to get the Microsoft offering working, I took the new Microsoft model [mentioned below; one that didn't work] to him and swapped. I am pleased the ol' Logitech works, but I'm troubled that the new Microsoft did not, because it's sold as a PS/2 mouse and comes with the adapter. Somebody-more-technical-than-I-go-figure.

post-16281-128676784595_thumb.jpg

A STfm, HxC floppy emulator, the mouse adapter in question, and a mouse that actually works with it - makes for a compelling Arkanoid experience! Talk about flawless in execution!

post-16281-128676788559_thumb.jpg

It's pretty cool to see that red light glow on the mouse, coming from your ST.

post-16281-128676804596_thumb.jpg

Here's the bottom label of the old Logitech that indeed works. I'd like a list of mice that are known to work. I know this is piss-poor, but it is all the information that I can provide.

post-16281-128676807591_thumb.jpg

Here's what it looks like, plugged into the dreaded STfm port.

post-16281-128676811496_thumb.jpg

This was wishful thinking. OF COURSE IT DID NOT WORK. Fool that I am, I had to try it, and I'm just reporting to you.

post-16281-128676816669_thumb.jpg

This piece-of-shit **DID** work. Perfectly. There used to be a computer retailer called "COMP USA" and this was their private-label offering - a rather generic corded "notebook mouse" from roughly 10 years ago. I know you're not going to run into one of these, but it worked, so I'm providing the results here.

post-16281-128676830509_thumb.jpg

post-16281-128676819695_thumb.jpg

For what it's worth (very little) here's the bottom of that P.O.S. I'm glad I didn't shitcan this thing (almost did) when leaving Alaska.

Here's the recent problem. This mouse (Office Depot) was the SOLE OFFERING they had, with PS/2 connectivity. I was VERY HOPEFUL that this would work. IT DID NOT!!!!!!! (with the ST)

post-16281-128676834148_thumb.jpg

post-16281-128676839024_thumb.jpg

post-16281-128676856887_thumb.jpg

post-16281-128676862148_thumb.jpg

post-16281-128676873905_thumb.jpg

It even shipped with the PS/2 adapter on the USB cable, already!!!! Fortunately, it works on Dad's computer, and it *is* plugged into the legacy PS/2 port of his computer, just as the Logitech was. Difference being the Logitech works with the ST but not the new Microsoft offering. "Here's your new mouse, Dad. Thanks for taking care of the Logitech.....I mean, my new ST mouse!"

post-16281-128676866865_thumb.jpg

Here's the unit. If you get a mouse working with it, it's a godsend.

post-16281-128676870418_thumb.jpg

I have provided all of the information that I can here. Truthfully, I wish that I could do more. Someone, please help! I'll buy a new mouse (and a spare, too) if I know of one that works with this. I am nostalgic about the ST mouse, but after a few hangups/screwups with mouse games, I am not.

If anybody has any additional information, please share!

Edited by wood_jl

Just get a PeST.

Every mouse I've plugged into it works, both native PS/2 and USB->PS/2 with convertors.

Not a bad suggestion. However, the idea here was that one could **STILL** get an over-the-counter brand new mouse, and use it with their ST. Since there are NOT sold any mice with the PS/2 connector, it would have to be a PS/2 but with USB connector installed and the PS/2 adapter if aiming for PS/2 port on PeST. So the PeST would require an additional adapter over the fake-USB thing. That is, assuming it WOULD work with this mouse that doesn't work with the USB (USB LOOKING ONLY (NOT REAL USB)). I suspect that this thing is basically PeST with a USB-style connector.

The greater tragedy here is I don't know that you can buy a new ST-compatible mouse. I'd be ready to buy 2 or 3 of them, if I thought I could. Maybe I should start combing sites for used PS/2 optical mice and THEN get a PeST. I suspect it's going to be a hit-or-miss case of used (antiquated) PC mice, regardless of PeST or this thing.

I'm tempted to buy and try another, but I'm quite far from being rich! I am also tempted to get a PeST and try it, but they don't give them away, either, eh?

Not a bad suggestion. However, the idea here was that one could **STILL** get an over-the-counter brand new mouse, and use it with their ST. Since there are NOT sold any mice with the PS/2 connector, it would have to be a PS/2 but with USB connector installed and the PS/2 adapter if aiming for PS/2 port on PeST. So the PeST would require an additional adapter over the fake-USB thing. That is, assuming it WOULD work with this mouse that doesn't work with the USB (USB LOOKING ONLY (NOT REAL USB)). I suspect that this thing is basically PeST with a USB-style connector.

The greater tragedy here is I don't know that you can buy a new ST-compatible mouse. I'd be ready to buy 2 or 3 of them, if I thought I could. Maybe I should start combing sites for used PS/2 optical mice and THEN get a PeST. I suspect it's going to be a hit-or-miss case of used (antiquated) PC mice, regardless of PeST or this thing.

I'm tempted to buy and try another, but I'm quite far from being rich! I am also tempted to get a PeST and try it, but they don't give them away, either, eh?

Actually, although quite expensive, Best Electronics sells a new model. I love it. Its plug 'n play ST

compatible, and has a wonderful feel and click!. Last one I bought was $34.95 or so...

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/addendum.htm#TrueMouse

PS Edited - wrong link at first. I had it pointing to the *original*

Atari mouse. :)

So far I've tried a bunch of mice, none of which have worked.

Razer Boomslang

Razer Viper

Razer Diamondback

Saitek Cyborg

Belkin Nostromo N30

Sony PCGA-UMS1

HP M-UB48

Some of these may require too much current or something, and don't even light up. I'll try some of the recommended mice in the near future.

Cheers

Two more that did not work:

Microsoft Intellimouse Explorere 3.0 USB and PS2 Compatible (optical)

Microsoft Notebook Optical Mouse

Can anyone recommend a specific mode of full sized mouse that is compatible, preferably and optical one?

Tiny notebook mice make my hand hurt.

Thanks

Man, that sucks.

I feel fortunate I happened to own a couple that do work.

I, for one, **really** appreciate your taking the time to list what does NOT work. I wish I could be of some assistance. At least you know to avoid the model I was hopeful of earlier in this thread.

When you do find one, I'm inclined to want to buy a couple of them myself, as spares.

I am somewhat shocked at how utterly incompatible this device is, with so many mice. I will try to get one other AA user to share what mouse he has used that has worked successfully. [Cebus, where ya at?]

Can you identify the Logitech model that works? I could search for one of those.

Thanks

I did! Check post 27 of this thread. (unfortunately, it's NOT the cordless Logitech...lol) It's the white one.

Best of luck to you. If we could find out exactly what NEW mouse works, and where to get it, I would probably buy 1 or 2 just to keep as backups.

Seriously, are they available only in Europe, or something?

What I mean is, does that Logitech have a model number or name on the underside?

Thanks

Yes sah! It's in that post! Here 'tis again:

(click to enlarge)

post-16281-128780070066_thumb.jpg

It's pretty old. I'm going to guess it's at least 5 years old. That's a wild guess, as I really don't remember. It was kind of "hip" to have an optical mouse ON YOUR PC when I got it, so it must be kind of old! I had given it away, and then I retrieved it by buying the recipient a NEW MS optical mouse. (Actually, giving them the new one I bought for my ST that didn't work)

Edited by wood_jl

Well, I went back to the Ebay listing.....

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1206265578631?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=120626557863&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

And it says....

post-16281-128780148172_thumb.jpg

So I see the "Microsoft Intellimouse" is listed on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005TQ08?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00005TQ08

Under "Technical Details" you have to click on "see more technical details" and it does indicate both PS/2 and USB connectivity. (of course, so did my MS Wheelmouse Optical)

But it says it works, in the listing.

Then I did this ebay search for "Microsoft Intellimouse".....

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=9&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&icep_uq=Microsoft+Intellimouse&icep_sellerId=&icep_ex_kw=&icep_sortBy=12&icep_catId=&icep_minPrice=&icep_maxPrice=&ipn=psmain&icep_vectorid=229466&kwid=902099&mtid=824&kw=lg

And they come up there, too. The "Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer" (what a name for a mouse) comes up, but most of them are "version 3.0" which implies there are multiple versions.

This auction for the "Intellimouse" looks interesting....

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2805716192091?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=280571619209&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

They're used. They're in Korea. Sounds bad. But they're $4.50 with $5.00 shipping. Maybe worth a gamble for $10?????? Hell, I'm thinking about trying it myself now.

edit: Another Korea offering, same deal....

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 1505030837931?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=150503083793&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

edit again:

Here's a USA offering, $12.25 shipped...

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3102579335161?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=310257933516&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Edited by wood_jl

I did an Ebay search for "logitech m-bj58" (that's what my Logitech that works says for "M/N" which I assume to be "mouse number" but don't know for sure)

There appears to be one of these on Ebay, but the shipping is damn high. It even as the same part number 830524-000 as mine, according to the listing. If it was less shippiing, I'd be inclined to buy it myself.....

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 2205738354611?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=220573835461&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

There's another that's listed as "m-bj58" but a different part number 830718-0000 but it looks similar. It says "for parts/untested" so who knows, and it's $23.99 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: But there is a "make offer" option.

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 3205977458771?ff3=2&pub=5574883395&toolid=10001&campid=5336500554&customid=&item=320597745877&mpt=[CACHEBUSTER]

Really wishing you good luck on this. If you happen to find one that works, I'd like to rack up some extras. I am quite tempted to try the $10/shipped used Intellimouse, or maybe the stateside $12 one.

I mean, I certainly vouch for the white Logitech M-BJ58 830524-000 but that's expensive for an old mouse. Hmmm... let us know what you do and how things work out for you.

Edit: Did an amazon search....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.html?ie=UTF8&location=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2Fgp%2Foffer-listing%2FB000E3GC6E%3Fie%3DUTF8%26ref_%3Ddp_olp_used%26qid%3D1287806343%26sr%3D8-2-fkmr0%26condition%3Dused&tag=atariage&linkCode=ur2&camp=1789&creative=390957

.....the second one that comes up in the list says it's WHITE not blue, so there's a chance this is the same as mine. The listing is for what appears to be a very similar mouse in blue. Maybe ask the seller what exactly is the model number?? It says "Very Good" condition, $5.99 + $5.49 shipping, so not too expensive. Seller has 100% feedback. Seller name "pixiesnackgirl"

Maybe this adapter doesn't deliver sufficient current to power most modern mice? Some sort of secondary power source may be required or maybe some hack to the ST motherboard to pull more power from somewhere else through the mouse port. A wireless transmitter/receiver must pull some current through the USB, at least. I'm not sure if wired mice draw power or not but a PS/2 mouse adapter might be a better solution for now.

Edited by OldAtarian

Well, since we **know** it does work with some mice, it seems to me that finding/identifying/sharing that information with others would be the best bet at this juncture. I have done may dead-on best to do exactly that. I hope some others chime in, but it seems that, for the most part, a person gets this working, they're no longer concerned. Additional mods (etc) aren't necessary if you know what mouse to get. And how good it is, when you do!!!!

This isn't a perfect end-all solution, but it's excellent (!!!!!!) when you find a mouse that works.

Yes sah! It's in that post! Here 'tis again:

Sorry, I was just reading the text and scrolled right past the photo of the underside.

So a Logitech M-BJ58 830524 is one known working model. I couldn't find one for sale that looks to be in particularly good condition, so I ordered another M-BJ58 so I guess we'll see.

Thanks again

And they come up there, too. The "Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer" (what a name for a mouse) comes up, but most of them are "version 3.0" which implies there are multiple versions.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the Intellimouse Explorer Version 3.0 did not work for me, at least on my Mega STE. I will have to fire up a 1040 to see if it is any different.

Thanks

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the Intellimouse Explorer Version 3.0 did not work for me, at least on my Mega STE. I will have to fire up a 1040 to see if it is any different.

Thanks

There are quite a few variations of the Intellimouse, I'll try and get my hands on one of the adapters and post some results here as I've got a few of them laying around from ex-returns microsoft keyboard and mouse sets I bought off ebay a while ago.

Thanks

Duh! Now I'm the one not seeing things in earlier posts! That's discouraging news, then, since the listing says "Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer." Ebay searches only bring up 3.0, 4.0, and a wireless Intellimouse Explorer that we know won't work.

So the "Intellimouse" (sans "Explorer" in name) is still a question mark. The fact that the Explorer 3.0 did not work does not bode well, however.

I have a feeling it won't work on your 1040 either, but it's worth a try!

• 2 weeks later...

wood_jl: you asked for input from Amiga owners. I bought the Amiga version of this convertor from EvilBay, it indeed comes from Ireland. Percentage-wise, I'd say 25% of the mice I tried worked :( (I E-Mailed the seller, he asvised getting the cheapest mouse you can find...)

Anyway, the scroll wheel won't work, but at least the mouse works in the Early Startup Control.

I bought the cheapest USB mouse I could find on Amazon. A BMW 'liscensed' mouse, with working head- and tail-lights. :D $4.97.

wood_jl: you asked for input from Amiga owners. I bought the Amiga version of this convertor from EvilBay, it indeed comes from Ireland. Percentage-wise, I'd say 25% of the mice I tried worked :( (I E-Mailed the seller, he asvised getting the cheapest mouse you can find...)

Anyway, the scroll wheel won't work, but at least the mouse works in the Early Startup Control.

I bought the cheapest USB mouse I could find on Amazon. A BMW 'liscensed' mouse, with working head- and tail-lights. :D $4.97.

Hey! Thanks so much for contributing to this thread! I'm sure Amiga folks are in the same boat with this. So the BMW mouse indeed works? You mean something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/BLUE-BMW-Style-Optical-Mouse/dp/B000Z5IHLY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288682387&sr=8-1

I'm surprised! I was under the impression that OLDER mice should be sought, rather than cheap mice. Old mice that support PS/2 connections through the USB cord, that is, and NOT all of them, unfortunately.

I'm surprised the sellers don't get a lot more upset customers because so many mice don't work with it, and they give the opposite impression with lines such as "any USB mouse" although they then give a couple of model names. But they're not very specific in those.

But I must say, when you find one that DOES, it is a wonderful thing!!! Good grief I have had it with ball mice. Thanks again for posting! I wish more people would, but the common trend is to abandon this thread soon as your rig gets working; my chivalrous idea of "building a datbase" of mice that indeed work is stillborn. I advice people to locate the Logitech I posted about early in the thread. I just Ebay'd another as a spare.

Edited by wood_jl

Hey! Thanks so much for contributing to this thread! I'm sure Amiga folks are in the same boat with this. So the BMW mouse indeed works? You mean something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z5IHLY?ie=UTF8&tag=atariage&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B000Z5IHLY

I'm surprised! I was under the impression that OLDER mice should be sought, rather than cheap mice. Old mice that support PS/2 connections through the USB cord, that is, and NOT all of them, unfortunately.

I'm surprised the sellers don't get a lot more upset customers because so many mice don't work with it, and they give the opposite impression with lines such as "any USB mouse" although they then give a couple of model names. But they're not very specific in those.

But I must say, when you find one that DOES, it is a wonderful thing!!! Good grief I have had it with ball mice. Thanks again for posting! I wish more people would, but the common trend is to abandon this thread soon as your rig gets working; my chivalrous idea of "building a datbase" of mice that indeed work is stillborn. I advice people to locate the Logitech I posted about early in the thread. I just Ebay'd another as a spare.

Yup, that's the mouse, except I have the red one :cool:

I agree these EBay listings are 'iffy'. The guy who makes the Amiga versions first said, "Any mouse will work" , then "Try to find the cheapest one, then, Logitech mice won't work..."

But like you said, wood_jl, when things work, it's fantastic!

There is no infinite supply of either Amiga or Atari ST mice, we both need alternatives... Haven't done a lot of serious work with this mouse, but let's say that Arkanoid + II are amazing to play now!! :D

Oh, another odd thing... the hardware ships from Ireland, but the guy who wrote the Amiga software is Polish... :?

Any ST users of this get a link to DL software? Just curious...

Happy to help out ST enthusiasts, if I can... Despite the 'feud' between Amiga and ST, I've always wanted a 1040ST of some sort, and lots of games.... :lust:

• 2 weeks later...