IGNORED

Jawbreaker for sale

coinheaven

I always liked Jawbreaker better than Jawbreaker 2. Jawbreaker at least has some minor differences from Pac-Man that make it quite a bit of fun to play. Jawbreaker 2 was essentially just Pac-Man; I wonder if anyone is getting those two mixed up? In the first one it's the little lines that you go up and down, constantly moving with the 'openings' or 'doors' you travel through -- the second one is just the Pac-esque maze.

It took me quite a while to find a Jawbreaker in a lot, so I'd say Zwackery is right on the money -- I'd pay up to $12 for one but not more than that. Give it a shot, plug it in and play, you might find that you want to keep it anyway! :)

Well ya for the record, Jawbreaker is a great game. It *is* different from PacMan in many respects, but it is also just as similar. TBH, knock-off may have been too stron a word...I prefer clone myself. Just because it is a clone or knockoff or whatever you want to call it doesn't mean it's a bad game.

And ya I know on the 8bit line JB2 is DEFINITELY a pacman knockoff. At least JB1 is slightly different but really, the concept, and the object of the game are exactly the same. The one critical difference is that instead of a maze with 4 power ups, you've got only one power up and horizontal lines instead of a maze. IMO thats like saying KC Munchkin is not a clone of PacMan because the dots move and the ghosts have antennae.

Jawbreaker on home computers uses Pac-Man's maze (and subsequently attracted Atari's lawyers).

Jawbreaker II and 2600's Jawbreaker use only horizontal corridors. Both were created after the initial clone game. I don't know if the main difference of lacking a maze was done primarily because of the relative difficulty of implementing such a playfield on the 2600's hardware...or because they were trying to avoid any further legal entanglements. One of the key elements in the original case was that Atari hadn't yet released a port of their own.

http://www.davis.ca/en/blog/Video-Game-Law/1981/12/28/Pac-Man-V-Jawbreaker

I'm more familiar with the A8 versions then, apparently. I never knew -- I thought Jawbreaker 2 was the same! So 2600 Jawbreaker is equivalent to Jawbreaker 2 on A8.

I agree with what jetset is saying -- it's true that there are differences but there are enough similarities. It's a good game but it's definitely in the same 'room' as Pac-Man.