IGNORED

I got an N-Gage!

Well, the N-Gage came in the mail today, and I have a few questions.

#1 - Why is there no side box art for Virtua Tennis?

#2 - Why does Puyo Pop have no sound?

#3 - Is it possible to make homebrew NGage games?

#4 - Is anyone interested in an NGage HSC?

#5 - With my DS, I usually play with it plugged in so I don't have to worry about the battery dying on me. Can I do the same thing with the NGage?

Congratulations [?] on getting an N-Gage. The N-Gage was my first mobile phone. Before it appeared on the market, I had been adamantly against mobile phones and unwilling to consider purchasing one. Interestingly enough, using it as a phone turned out to be a complete pain in the ass. But the gaming was OK...

Poor production values. Most all of the system's software was rushed. Have a look at the Puzzle Bobble game to see an ultimate example of this.

Check out Super Fighter Block Battle, which I tested using my N-Gage.

#5 - With my DS, I usually play with it plugged in so I don't have to worry about the battery dying on me. Can I do the same thing with the NGage?

You can, but it's a bit rough on the battery over time.

Well, the N-Gage came in the mail today, and I have a few questions.

#4 - Is anyone interested in an NGage HSC?

1: For probably the same reason Astal on the Saturn didn't have side art, and I don't know what that is.. I'm going to assume laziness though :lolblue:. Fortunately for you though, you probably won't get much (if any) play out of the N-Gage version of Virtua Tennis. The lack of proper side art should allow you to forget it even easier. ;)

2: I'm pretty sure Puyo Puyo has sound, just no music in-game (I may have to double-check this myself, but I'm fairly certain that's how it works in this game). Make sure you checked the options menu and have the sound turned up, and/or check to see if there is a sound-mute button in-game. Multiple N-Gage titles have buttons to turn off or adjust the levels of volume in-game. These settings will be saved so the next time you return the volume levels will remain at what you last set them at.

3: Sure, why not? All you would probably need is a little knowledge on how to create a game for Nokia's Symbian 6.0 OS and you should be good to go. I don't think there was any sort of lockout feature on the system (hence why emulators for the Symbian OS work on the N-Gage). I think it's a fairly open platform in that sense.

4: Actually, yes, I would be. As far as I can recall though, there aren't that many N-Gage games that keep track of score or time.. Although there are some good ones, like Sonic, Puyo Puyo, Monkey Ball, Tony Hawk, Asphalt, Mile High Pinball, Glimeratti.. hm, I'm drawing a blank right now.

5: Yes, you can. As the above poster stated, it may wear down your battery more.. I'm no pro in electronics though, so I can't vouch whether it actually does or not. I've had multiple N-Gage batteries (both the first-gen and second-gen), and used the system as a game machine and phone.. The batteries all lasted for at least a year or two before the drain time became much, much more noticeable. If you are unsure and want to have a few fresh batteries strictly used for on-the-go gaming, check the model number on your battery and buy a couple on eBay, they are pretty cheap.

Just a tip on saving battery power, unless you plan on using the N-Gage as a phone, run the unit in "offline" mode. Should save some of your resources and battery power. :thumbsup:

Edited by Austin

Thanks for the tip. I have another question: How long does it take for the battery to recharge? It's been recharging for about three hours now. I was playing it and the battery had to be recharged, so I plugged it in. It said once the bar stops scrolling it should be done, but it won't stop scrolling.

Three hours should be much more than enough.. Hell, I think a single hour is enough, typically. It may mean you have a weak battery. Once these things start running out of lasting power, they won't last any longer than an hour or so without a charge.. It gets pretty bad. You may want to grab yourself a replacement. :thumbsup:

BTW, did you get an original N-Gage or the QD?

Edited by Austin

I think I got the original. I'll unplug it and see what happens.

Hm, OK. So the one where you slide the back cover off (and remove the battery) to switch cards, right?

Anyways, if it drains fast, you'll know it's the battery. These things are supposed to last at least a few gaming hours, much longer of course without any gaming.

WHY DID YOU LET THAT HORRIBLE ABOMINATION INTO YOUR HOUSE!?!? :sad: WHYYYYYYYYYYY!!????

It's posts like this where I wish a negative-rep button was available, heh.. :roll:

There should be some decent emulators for it too, though dated compared to a modded PSP.

The option is there, yes. How well it handles emulation? That's a different story altogether.. ;)

Edited by Austin

WHY DID YOU LET THAT HORRIBLE ABOMINATION INTO YOUR HOUSE!?!? :sad: WHYYYYYYYYYYY!!????

Psh. It's a good machine. (Unless you're trying to use it as a phone.) I had a good couple of years with my N-Gage, before "replacing" it with a Nokia 3650, and later, with a Nokia 3230. Even so, the N-Gage was still used for gaming, and I even took it along with me to France in '07 for the Retro-gaming Connexion (see photos here).

I'm glad to see new people coming along and giving the N-Gage a try. Not all of the games are great, but a few of them are at least pretty good, and the machine itself is an interesting oddity. Have fun with yours, atari2600land. :)

How long does it take for the battery to recharge?

An hour and a half from dead/almost dead battery to full battery.

The batteries work well through a couple of years of heavy use, but eventually you'll need a new one. I'm still using my original N-Gage battery from 2003, but let me tell you, it doesn't hold a charge worth a damn anymore. I usually leave the machine hooked into the wall for power, when I use it now.

Edited by Clean Larry

I bought a

when it was released in Australia. I have to say, its been the best damn phone I ever had and many of the games were excellent.

would have to be my favourite, followed by High Seize. Infact, I suggest playing all three Red Lynx N-gage games of
and both
games.

*Yes I used this post to shamelessly plug my N-gage Youtube videos

Edited by panzer

And from all your opinions on the subject I'm sure you've actually played some games on the NGage and are not just crapping all over this thread with stupid ass remarks on a subject you know absolutely nothing about?

I'm sure that it is the latter.

I'm getting an N-Gage sometime in the future (the original, not QD). I was thinking about saving for it a while ago, but I decided to do something I've never done before instead: save enough cash to buy a brand-new system at walmart (PSP 3000). That will mark the first time I've owned a current-gen system.

I would imagine you can still use it if you have a plan and a SIM card. I used my Nokia 3650 as a phone less than a year ago and it predates the N-Gage by a bit. In my time, I had lots of fun with the Symbian programs and emulators that were available. I used to play lots of Gameboy games on my 3650. Now, of course, the Apple App Store makes all of that stuff look primitive, but at the time it was really cool. I also bought stereo headphones so I could load mp3 files onto the 3650. I thought I was very cool. Never had an B-Gage, but definitely thought about it.

I'm getting an N-Gage sometime in the future (the original, not QD). I was thinking about saving for it a while ago, but I decided to do something I've never done before instead: save enough cash to buy a brand-new system at walmart (PSP 3000). That will mark the first time I've owned a current-gen system.

Why buy a new PSP 3000 when there are so many used ones out there for cheaper?

Why buy a new PSP 3000 when there are so many used ones out there for cheaper?

Because that screen is so fragile it's worth the extra cash just to buy a new one and avoid a lot of grief. And you certainly don't get a warranty with a used system, now do you?