IGNORED

VIC-20 prototype release (Tac-Scan by Sega)

Psionic

UPDATED - 4/1/2013

Hello all. As most of you already know, I obtained this prototype a while back, which is about 95% complete. (See post #8 below for screenshots.)

After numerous delays, I will be releasing this game on cartridge very soon (mid-2013). I will be selling CIB copies of the game through the forums. The game will come complete with box and manual, with cartridges made using original Sega cartridge casings. (See post #31 in this thread for a photo.)

This release will be very limited and the cost will be high, due to the difficulty in making faithful reproductions of this nature. I will do my best to make as many copies as possible to meet demand, but I am severely limited by the small supply of parts available to make the cartridges. If anyone has any spare Sega cartridges for the VIC-20, please contact me.

Mind you, the cartridge release is strictly a product for collectors. For everyone else, I have released the ROM image to the folks who make the VIC-20 Mega-Cart as well, and the game has since been added to the Mega-Cart as of revision 21 (March 2012). So everyone who desires to play this game on their original hardware can do so one way or another.

More info coming soon.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I apologize to anyone who had hoped to purchase a copy of this game. It was not my intent to disappoint anyone, but I was not able to attend the CGE for various reasons outside my control. I am still planning on offering this game for sale and hope to release it by this year's end. More info soon as production continues...

That definitely looks like it would be a fun game!

I like it. Certainly nothing can compare to the coin-op but this version is a bit more arcade-like than the 2600 port. Although it does play a tad slower, it has the proper docking sequence and the UFO enemy that was missing from the VCS version is included here.

• 3 months later...

For anyone interested in this game, I have set a tentative release date of January 21, 2011.

I have received a sample of the box and label, with the manual near completion as well. I will be uploading a movie of the game in action and releasing more info about the game's release in the coming weeks.

Thank you all for your patience. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

For anyone interested in this game, I have set a tentative release date of January 21, 2011.

I have received a sample of the box and label, with the manual near completion as well. I will be uploading a movie of the game in action and releasing more info about the game's release in the coming weeks.

Thank you all for your patience. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Does the paddle work with this game?

On a side note does anyone know when 5200 Tempest is coming out?

Spinner games are on my mind right now, thinking about modding a PC ball mouse into one.

Edited by CRTGAMER

Does the paddle work with this game?

Yes, this game uses the paddle controllers just like the Atari 2600 version.

On a side note does anyone know when 5200 Tempest is coming out?

There's at least one thread about it in the 5200 forum, but I'm not sure of the release date. I don't know if a firm or even approximate date has been announced yet.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it seems luck is not on my side lately. I thought I'd be all set after winning a large VIC-20 lot on eBay which contained no less than fourteen copies of Star Trek that I could use to make cartridges. Unfortunately, I paid for the games but after nearly two weeks they had not arrived. Then I received this message from the seller:

Today we received a letter from the US Postal Service concerning the package containing your eBay auction. The shipping label from the package was found loose in Los Angeles. The package was not found. The letter asks for a description of the box contents be sent so the USPS can search for the package. I will complete and return the letter and enclose a picture of the auction tomorrow. I have no idea how long we will have to wait for a reply or if they will find the missing package.

I would imagine that the chances of this package being recovered at this point are mighty slim. I really needed those cartridges and this bizarre loss is a major setback, to say the least. I'm going to continue moving forward with the proposed late January release, but I may have to postpone it yet again.

This is a major disappointment. :(

how much the game is going to cost?

Not sure yet.

can we send some vic20 carts for you to use?

Sure, I'll give you (or anyone else) $10 credit towards the purchase of the game if you can provide your own cartridge for me to use.

Keep in mind that there are two types of Sega cartridges for the VIC-20. I need the ones with the screws on the back (not under the label).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...