IGNORED

Matt Chat (Youtube Series)

Thought it would be a good idea to collect the Matt Chat updates in their own thread here for fans to access them. For those that don't know, Matt Chat is a Youtube series of videos that covers all facets of gaming by reviews, interviews and unique points of view from Matt Barton. Dr. Barton, of St. Cloud State in Minnesota, has co-written one book, Vintage Games with Bill Loguidice, and also written Dungeons and Desktops while also keeping up with Armchair Arcade.

The latest Matt Chat, #62, features Chris Avellone, Creative Director of Obsidian Entertainment and Senior Designer of Planescape: Torment. As usual with Matt Chat, many areas are covered, most interestingly, inspirations.

Matt Chat #62: Chris Avellone's Early Days

Matt chat rockz!! Cool stuff.

Say, whats up with yer sig?? Did you help Matt publish some of his books?? Or his Youtube channel??

My sig?  That is my PR firm.  Matt is one of my clients and just an all around cool guy (I am a fan first).  I am not involved with Matt and his books, and assist as needed with helping with guests for his Youtube channel (keep and eye on his channel, there are some great ones coming soon).

Matt chat rockz!! Cool stuff.

Say, whats up with yer sig?? Did you help Matt publish some of his books?? Or his Youtube channel??

My sig?  That is my PR firm.  Matt is one of my clients and just an all around cool guy (I am a fan first).  I am not involved with Matt and his books, and assist as needed with helping with guests for his Youtube channel (keep and eye on his channel, there are some great ones coming soon).

Oh, Okay.

Thats yer website? Shouldve hired a professional.

Why do you say that?  It works and so far only one complaint/concern over the design.  I am more concerned with the site being accessible to just about anyone that can access the web in whatever form (iPhone, netbook, smartphone, etc) rather than having java and flash "eye candy" all over that just gets in the way of the clients and the content.

Why do you say that?  It works and so far only one complaint/concern over the design.  I am more concerned with the site being accessible to just about anyone that can access the web in whatever form (iPhone, netbook, smartphone, etc) rather than having java and flash "eye candy" all over that just gets in the way of the clients and the content.

Thats cool. Figured a pr firm would be concerned about making their clients look good to. Lata.

• Like 1

Thats cool. Figured a pr firm would be concerned about making their clients look good to. Lata.

What is turning you off when looking at Scenic?  

Having spent most of the last few years or so looking at PR sites has shown me a couple of things I definitely wanted to avoid when I decided to start Scenic, one, was to make it clear why the clients are there in the first place.  Most PR firms give a logo and that is it, no real information on who that client is (and most don't even give you a link to the clients site so you can check them out yourself).  I think Scenic covers both of those concerns rather well.

I am not saying Scenic is the best looking PR site available and if you, or anyone else, would like to offer some constructive criticism it will certainly be taken into consideration.

• 2 weeks later...

I love Matt Chat, been a subscriber since his Defender of the Crown video I believe. Haven't had much time to watch them lately though I have a lot of catching up to do :P

is out now, it focus's on Sean Cooper, he did Syndicate for those that don't know.  Definitely catch it if you were a fan. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is now up and if you are a Fallout fan, you definitely will want to watch this episode.  Part 2 goes in depth about the motivations that fueled Fallout, just where Interplay thought Fallout fell in the product line and was Mad Max really an inspiration or an urban myth?

is the third and final part of the great interview with Mr. Cain (this series definitely ends with a bang of great information, funny anecdotes and interesting points of view). Don't miss what is quickly becoming one of the best reasons to be on Youtube right now, Matt Chat.

• 3 weeks later...

is up on Youtube and judging by the views already, this is one of the more popular (well on it's way to setting an MC viewing record) episodes so far. Mr. Warshaw covers his early steps into computers (FORTRAN is where it is at folks). From old computers to Atari (well, Mr. Warshaw did do E.T. and Yar's Revenge, two different ends of the spectrum). Check out Matt Chat for many other great interviews and insights on classic games

Matt Chat 70: E.T. and Yar's Revenge with Howard Scott Warshaw covers Mr. Warshaw's trek with Atari through Yar's Revenge and his "lowpoint" of E.T. Hear what happened straight from the man that was there and lived it, and still is living it.

Just watched that. Love hearing these stories from the people who breathed life into our beloved system.

• 2 weeks later...

is now available!  Keep watching for a special song at the end of this trek through one of the best old school RPG's ever.

Anyone know why the RPG MC's are some of the most popular?

Also, a big congratulations to Matt Barton for

being the first video from the series to break 10,000 views.  Now which will be next?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

King’s Quest, to many today, that name probably doesn’t mean much but to gamers that grew up playing computer games in the 80′s and early 90′s it was the computer game to be playing (for the more sci-fi slanted fans, there was Space Quest). Matt takes us on a journey through the beginnings of one of the best adventure series ever in episode 76. Don’t miss it.

This week, Matt takes viewers on a trek through the amazingly detailed world of Darklands by Microprose for PC (with kind mention of failed ports to other platforms for good measure). This is not your typical RPG like fans of the genre know today, oh no, this is definitely a far cry from Final Fantasy or Dragon Warrior/Quest or Zelda (which was really more of an action/adventure title).

If you are interested in what true RPG’s are all about, check out Matt Chat #77: Darklands, you won’t be sorry and you might just find yourself buying into the genre.

• 1 month later...

Show descriptions are copied from the Youtube pages.

Matt Chat #78: Arnold Hendrick Interview Pt. 1

This is the first part of a multi-segment interview with Arnold Hendrick, the designer of Darklands as well as several of Microprose's best military simulation games. In this part, Arnold and I talk about how history influenced his designs, what it was like working with Sid Meier on Pirates!, and why Darklands was such a difficult production.

Matt Chat: #78: Interview with Arnold Hendrick Pt. 2

In the final segment of my interview with Arnold Hendrick, we discuss sandbox or "themepark" style vs. linear gameplay, tips for Darklands novices, an awful show-stopping bug that doomed Darklands to poor sales.

Matt Chat #78: Interview with Arnold Hendrick Pt. 3

In the final segment of my interview with Arnold Hendrick, we discuss sandbox or "themepark" style vs. linear gameplay, tips for Darklands novices, an awful show-stopping bug that doomed Darklands to poor sales.

Matt Chat #79: Scott Adams' Early Days

Scott Adams was a software pioneer, designing and publishing a line of adventure games when personal computing was still in its infancy. His company, "Adventure International," in many ways epitomizes the earliest days of the computer gaming industry. In this first segment of the interview, Scott talks about his childhood, high school years, first projects, and science fiction.

Matt Chat #80: Adventureland with Scott Adams

In the second installment of my interview with the industry pioneer, Scott Adams and I focus on Adventureland, the first-ever commercial adventure game for home computers. Programming on a humble TRS-80 Model I, Scott achieved what many in the industry considered impossible. We also cover Colossal Cave Adventure and Scott's favorite computers, the Atari ST and the TI-99 4.

Matt Chat #81: Questprobe and More with Scott Adams

In this third and final segment of my interview with computer games pioneer Scott Adams, we talk about the Questprobe series featuring Marvel super heroes. We also talk about Scott's current gaming interests and his thoughts on the history and current state of the industry.

Matt Chat #82: Interview with Rebecca "Burger" Heineman Pt. 1

This is the first part of a multi-segment interview with Rebecca "Burger" Heineman, one of the most influential women in the history of the videogames industry. In this first segment, Becky and I chat about her background--and how a knack for Space Invaders on the Atari 2600 led to her amazing career as a games programmer and designer.

Matt Chat #83: Rebecca Heineman Pt. 2

This is the second part of my interview with Rebecca "Burger" Heineman, one of the most influential coders and designers in the games industry. In this part, we discuss Becky's programming background, John Carmack vs. John Romero, text vs. graphical games, and why Sir-Tech's Wizardry is such an important game.

Edited by triverse

Matt Chat 84: Rebecca Heineman Pt. 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF_n7-IYph0

In this episode, Becky and I talk about her game Tass Times in Tonetown, one of the quirkiest and best-loved point-and-click adventures. She also reveals the origin of her nickname, "Burger," and what it was like to be at the cutting edge of game development and still be perpetually broke.

Matt Chat 85: Rebecca Heineman Pt. 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-0-0uF9fAE

In this fourth segment of my interview with industry great Rebecca Heineman, we discuss The Bard's Tale and Dragon Wars. Becky goes into detail about the drama between Michael Cranford and Interplay over Bard's Tale, her struggles with transgenderism, and her proudest achievement: a game that would have been The Bard's Tale IV.