IGNORED

RXB - Rich Extended Basic

Bones-69

2 hours ago, MikeV said:

Hi Rich,

Thank you for the manual. Am I correct in presuming that BLOAD/ BSAVE will be incompatible with RXB 2020 and replaced by PLOAD/ PSAVE?

Yea sorry that is sadly true.

As the new PLOAD/PSAVE  can load into any memory area of 32K and the old BLOAD/BSAVE would only work with the LOWER 8K Assembly area.

Additionally the new PLOAD/PSAVE uses 4K pages while the old BLOAD/BSAVE was using 8K pages.

SAMS switches memory in 4K pages so it just made more sense to use one 4K page vs one 8K page that would require 2 SAMS 4K pages.

Edited by RXB
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, RXB said:

Yea sorry that is sadly true.

As the new PLOAD/PSAVE  can load into any memory area of 32K and the old BLOAD/BSAVE would only work with the LOWER 8K Assembly area.

Additionally the new PLOAD/PSAVE uses 4K pages while the old BLOAD/BSAVE was using 8K pages.

SAMS switches memory in 4K pages so it just made more sense to use one 4K page vs one 8K page that would require 2 SAMS 4K pages.

OK, got it. Will adapt to the new version when available. Thanks for the clarification.

• Like 1

Making a new game Strictly for RXB 2020 also updated RXB 2015 game IN THE DARK.

Currently new RXB game has 16000 4K pages loaded into SAMS in Classic99. (62.5 Meg game)

Of course will have to make a smaller 1Meg version for game, but wanted to make a full on max version too.

This game is not IN THE DARK, it is a new one.

• Like 1

Wow! 

4 hours ago, RXB said:

Making a new game Strictly for RXB 2020 also updated RXB 2015 game IN THE DARK.

Currently new RXB game has 16000 4K pages loaded into SAMS in Classic99. (62.5 Meg game)

Of course will have to make a smaller 1Meg version for game, but wanted to make a full on max version too.

This game is not IN THE DARK, it is a new one.

I bet that takes a while to load up. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBF said:

Wow! 

I bet that takes a while to load up. 

Working on a better loader, then again only works on Classic99.

The 1Meg version should be about 2 minutes to load from SCSI drives or less in RAMDISK.

• Like 2

Ok made a RXB program to make a map into 8000 pages of SAMS and put it on disk for Classic99

To load all 8000 pages took 1 hour 28 minutes, so much better then I had originally thought it would take to work.

That is after all using Overdrive in Classic99 and loading 8000 4K pages into SAMS from Disk. 

Spoiler

100 OPEN #1:"CLOCK"
110 INPUT #1:A$,B$,C$
120 PRINT A$:B$:C$
130 FOR P=1 TO 8000
140 CALL SAMS(2,P+16)
150 CALL PLOAD(2,"DSK6.PAGE"&STR$(P))
160 NEXT P
170 INPUT #1:A$,B$,C$
180 PRINT A$:B$:C$

Just so you know that is about 32 Meg of files.

Edited by RXB
  • Like 1

If you do some math each 4K page has 5 screens with 768 characters per screen.

So 5x768=3840 characters per 4K so 8192 Pages of 4K would be 31457280 characters total for entire map.

So the entire map is 15728640 x 15728640 

17 hours ago, RXB said:

Ok made a RXB program to make a map into 8000 pages of SAMS and put it on disk for Classic99

To load all 8000 pages took 1 hour 28 minutes, so much better then I had originally thought it would take to work.

That is after all using Overdrive in Classic99 and loading 8000 4K pages into SAMS from Disk. 

Reveal hidden contents

100 OPEN #1:"CLOCK"
110 INPUT #1:A$,B$,C$
120 PRINT A$:B$:C$
130 FOR P=1 TO 8000
140 CALL SAMS(2,P+16)
150 CALL PLOAD(2,"DSK6.PAGE"&STR$(P))
160 NEXT P
170 INPUT #1:A$,B$,C$
180 PRINT A$:B$:C$

Just so you know that is about 32 Meg of files.

This kind of thing was where I realized there are some practical limitations to giving our favourite computer virtually un-limited memory.

It is not the speediest little beast in the forest and just running through all that memory to load it up or heaven forbid erase it, takes a long time.

It's still pretty cool that you actually can do a 32MB load in RXB.  :) ??

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TheBF said:

This kind of thing was where I realized there are some practical limitations to giving our favorite computer virtually un-limited memory.

It is not the speediest little beast in the forest and just running through all that memory to load it up or heaven forbid erase it, takes a long time.

It's still pretty cool that you actually can do a 32MB load in RXB.  :) ??

Well YEA!

Right now I have 8 Classic99 running at same time all on OVERDRIVE making 8192 maps to same drive.

Each instance of Classic99 is making 1000 files with 5 maps per file, you know 0 to 1000, 1000 to 2000, 2000 to 3000 and so on.

I wanted to be first person to make the biggest game or app for TI99/4A ever.

If Tursi made a SAMS file to installer for Classic99 we would see more uses of this cool feature, of course with real TI it would take days.

(Better never turn it off or lose all installed SAMS! LOL!) 

P.S. Good reason to make a battery backed SAMS!

Edited by RXB
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Could you do a demo of RXB2020... on Youtube?
- What is new.
- What is different from Basic and Ex Basic
- Demonstrate different programs. From small to big ones.
- Converting Basic/EX Basic to RXA.
- Speed difference if any.
- What are smart use of RXB compared to "normal" programming.
- And what other tings is it that others are wondering about???

I think that if you do a broad (short and to the point) presentation of RXB, you will get more people to use your program. I have seen a YT where you did a lot of explaining of ram and a lot around that, for me it is over my head. I want to know WHY I should use RXB and what is great about it, from a programming stand point that dos not know that much. And you showing of you great RXB. Maybe that is what people want to know... But I think it would be good with a "low tech" show off of RXB ;)

Now you have to sell RXB2020 :p So that I want to transition from EX B to RXB ;) hehehe Back in the day I learned Basic and Ex Basic... and I need "motivation" to change into something new. Hmmm, maybe I am getting old :p hehehe

On 12/16/2020 at 2:10 PM, oddemann said:

Could you do a demo of RXB2020... on Youtube?
- What is new.
- What is different from Basic and Ex Basic
- Demonstrate different programs. From small to big ones.
- Converting Basic/EX Basic to RXA.
- Speed difference if any.
- What are smart use of RXB compared to "normal" programming.
- And what other tings is it that others are wondering about???

I think that if you do a broad (short and to the point) presentation of RXB, you will get more people to use your program. I have seen a YT where you did a lot of explaining of ram and a lot around that, for me it is over my head. I want to know WHY I should use RXB and what is great about it, from a programming stand point that dos not know that much. And you showing of you great RXB. Maybe that is what people want to know... But I think it would be good with a "low tech" show off of RXB ;)

Now you have to sell RXB2020 ? So that I want to transition from EX B to RXB ;) hehehe Back in the day I learned Basic and Ex Basic... and I need "motivation" to change into something new. Hmmm, maybe I am getting old ? hehehe

Ok first of more Video on RXB 2020: 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, retroclouds said:

Thanks for doing the video Rich! I like the part with the size command. Also watched your other video with the pload / SAMS stuff. ?

LOL yea I spaced out and was looking at RAM not VDP changes in video.