Bones-69

RXB - Rich Extended Basic

Been debugging and looking for bugs in RXB 2020 and looking really good for a release date on time, maybe before May as a release date.

Documents mostly done.

Some example programs done.

Debugging is close to done.

• Like 9

Really looking forward to your pending release.

Thank you for all the time and effort you've been putting in to this next version.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, RXB said:

All Extended Basics do this, all of them start from Lower Address in RAM (32K) and work up from >A040 to >FFEA in RAM.

RAM in lower 8K does same thing starting at lowest address after CALL INIT up to >3FFF

Now in VDP is the exact opposite as Variables and Temp data is from Top of VDP memory below number of Buffers (Normally 3).

Thanks for the explanation.

Since I am cutting my own rug, so to speak, my Memory map is a little different and kind of complicated now that I think about it.

I use low RAM is a heap.  It used for temporary buffers with a very simple, single pointer, used to keep track of it.

- It is also used for a single page of SAMS memory from, >3000 to >3FFF, if you load the SAMS code.

The FORTH kernel loads at A000 and is about 8K and the user program grows upward from there. 

The two Forth stacks start at FF7E and grow down. They are pretty small, 64 bytes each.

AT FF00 I put the terminal input buffer which is where text from the Forth console is collected to make a line of commands.

The VDP RAM has 2 Forth specific purposes:

1. A stack of PABs that descend from the FILES(3) memory location and a VDP heap that starts at >1000 giving about 10K bytes of space.

I have methods to use VDP RAM for TI sound lists and also the Forth print word can be changed to use that space if you need a ton of strings in a program like a text based game. There is also methods to create string variables. It's a HEAP so it's flexible.

I know you don't need any of this info but there it is anyway. Maybe interesting to see another memory map. :)   

(I will blame my morning coffee for my verbosity)

• Like 3

20 hours ago, RXB said:

All Extended Basics do this, all of them start from Lower Address in RAM (32K) and work up from >A040 to >FFEA in RAM.

This is backwards from how you correctly explained it in post #951.

XB programs grow down from >FFE7. >8386 points to the first free RAM after the program in the upper 24 KiB. This is the reason you can load AORGed ALC routines starting at >A000 just as long as they do not run into the XB program.

...lee

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Lee Stewart said:

This is backwards from how you correctly explained it in post #951.

XB programs grow down from >FFE7. >8386 points to the first free RAM after the program in the upper 24 KiB. This is the reason you can load AORGed ALC routines starting at >A000 just as long as they do not run into the XB program.

...lee

Yea I got them reversed but then I wrote all these new memory pointers and it was late.

You can change locations of VDP STACK, number of File Buffers to even 0 (ZERO) buffers, change RAM size and top of RAM, even only have 8K of upper RAM if you want.

Not to mention a new Program Loader that puts Program Image files into memory ANYWHERE you want.

And ties into using the SAMS or not it can do both.

Example load 4K program image into >E000 and also have XB program in memory at same time and also change VDP stack so you can run Text mode.

• Like 2