IGNORED

Should I buy a JagCD?

Karny

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth it?

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

So I'm new to the Jaguar (so new I don't even have it yet!), but I've always wanted one.

I bought one on a whim and since then I've been lurking here, youtube and ebay picking up all the games that seem interesting to me. Unfortunately with about 4 titles and about another 3 wanted, I've pretty much got everything I think I'd want out of the jag.

Which makes me wonder about the JagCD. It seems like a bunch of the homebrew stuff is done on the CD and I've always wanted to play Myst...

Telegames has a "special" on at the moment. JagCD + 6 games for £200. It's basically the pack-ins and 2 other random games.

Is that a decent price? Can I do better elsewhere?

There's not a massive amount of homebrew that needs a Jag CD, but it does allow you to see a lot of it without doing a BJL mod or buying a dev cart. Telegames selling them at £200 is OK considering the prices 2nd hand ones have been selling for & they will give you Myst as one of the games in the offer, but if you're really not all that interested in the other commercial CD games or making your own stuff it's not really great value. I don't know of anywhere selling them cheaper new (I looked around quite a bit befoure buying ours just a few months ago).

If you can find someone willing to part with their skunkboard, you'd probably get a lot more use out of it & maybe have change from £200 (I heard stories they have been changing hands for a fair bit more than they cost new). Then again, it'd be cheaper still to get someone to either sell you a BJL Jaguar & cable or to modify yours & make you a cable. Then you can see quite a bit of the freely available homebrew stuff if that's what you're really after doing.

I think that looks like a good deal because it includes 2 extra games. I am fairly new to the Jag as well but I did get a JagCD (which cost me $200 with just the pack-in games) and it has been great to have because of the ability to make CD's of homebrews. That alone has made it worthwhile to me. :)

JagCD... I'm really torn about this to be honest. With Superfly DX around the corner on CD media, I could just say "Yes, by all means go buy one! It's the greatest thing EVAR!!!!11111oneoneoneon" so we can get MOAR SALES. But before I get to this (;)), let me share some thoughts:

• For the time being, Reboot has only 1 JagCD, and that belongs to the graphic artist of the group (sh3!). This was bought mainly to test the Beebris CDs before they were packaged and on their way,
  • IMO, the catalogue of commercial games is nothing to write home about,
  • sh3's unit, even NIB from Telegames, depends on parameters such as the absolute position of the Earth in the Universe and the number of bozons in the room in order to read homebrew CDs properly. I.E. it's very twitchy. (when he was trying to provide feedback to me as I was modifying the jagcd encrypter program for skunkboard -I wrote it at blind, remember: no JagCD here ;)- we always had to guess if the code was running or the cd being tested just couldn't be read. In the end sh3 had to make plenty of reboots for each cd to verify that it works),
  • Personally I consider 200 UKP a lot of money for a unit like this.

Of course, these are just my thoughts on this. The choice is yours:

• Do you want to get a JagCD for your collection? Then the choice is obvious I'd say :)
  • Do care if you slightly modified your Jaguar for a few $? Then you should install a BJL mod, which can run all free software (AFAIK). Of course you lose the JagCD games then.
  • Another choice, like said above, is to hunt around for a Skunkboard, but then again you miss the JagCD games.

Hope I provided some food for thought!

(Of course the correct answer is: "Yes, by all means go buy one! It's the greatest thing EVAR!!!!11111oneoneoneon" - BRING ON MOAR SALES :P :P :P :P :P)

Edited by ggn

I have one, and it's temperamental (Still need to put a new transport in this one)... but if you take care of it you should get lots of use out of it...

Is the price good? Seems fair for a brand new boxed unit plus two additional games (however if it's a used/refurb unit, definitely not)...

Here is the question you need to ask yourself, ignore the Homebrews that are not out yet and take a look at the catlog of CD games available NOW... How many will you actually buy & play? is it a large number? then go for it, if it's one or two then skip it!

JagCD is a neat and curious thing from a collectors standpoint. Considering most of its library and potential hassle of owning one though, I'd rather buy one with your money than mine. Get it? ;) lol

I voted a resounding 'No' considering the $300 U.S. price tag. Yikes! They tend to go for $50 used/loose, $150-$200 new from our dealers w/ the 4 games. "Random" releases of shrinkwrapped JagCD games tend to sell for about $10ea. too. I think most here would only recommend this kind of purchase *IF* you are a super-duper dyed in the wool Atari Jaguar kind of guy with waaaay too much money on your hands :lol:

Edited by save2600

That sounds like a really good deal for a new one! :lust:

I love the Jag CD and it really only has one bad game in Space Ace.

Some of my favourite games for the system are on CD; Battlemorph, Hoverstrike CD, Iron Soldier 2, Vid Grid and Baldies are must haves for me.

Not to mention all the great unfinished games and protos; Varunas Forces, Caves Of Fear, Soulstar, American Hero and Native.

Then there is a ton of homebrew stuff you can burn like Jagmania, Jagtris, Orion Collection, Diamjag and Asteroids.

In my opinion the Jag is not complete without the wonderful CD unit and the VLM.

• Like 2

You forgot to mention Gorf Laird! lol

Hmm... for less than the cost of both a JagCD and Gorf on CD, one could get themselves the real arcade! lol Perhaps not as easy obtaining in the U.K. though. ;) Are vids harder to acquire than pinball machines over there? Pinball is still pretty big with the few hardcore collectors I know.

Edited by save2600

I would have mentioned Gorf if not for the high price it goes for, its a really good game and always gets well played at Jagfest UK.

Arcade games are pretty easy to pick up on ebay over here. There were arcades everywhere when I was a kid and I guess those machines went into peoples garages. I know a few people with mulitiple machines.

• Like 1

The commercial Jag CD library is largely awful and entirely forgettable unless you are a collector, especially considering the cost. The best reason to get one is to run homebrew titles, though like others have mentioned if that's what you want to do, you may be far better served by something like a Skunkboard if you could get your hands on one.

• Like 3

There are quite a few decent CD games I've seen Primal Rage and World Tour racing weren't that bad nor Hockey.

Mind you it always depends on a person's opinion and what they are looking for. I would suggest finding out for yourself rather then missing out. I've found a complete negative bias against something without any flexibility usually mean they are the ones losing out. But, that also means more for others who actually do want. :)

The commercial Jag CD library is largely awful and entirely forgettable unless you are a collector, especially considering the cost. The best reason to get one is to run homebrew titles, though like others have mentioned if that's what you want to do, you may be far better served by something like a Skunkboard if you could get your hands on one.

• Like 2

I've found a complete negative bias against something without any flexibility usually mean they are the ones losing out. But, that also means more for others who actually do want. :)

Well I do own one and all the games. I may have still lost out... :D

But yes, standard IMHO™ disclaimer. ;)

Since you dislike them so much, I will be happy to take everything off your hands and pay for shipping so you're not losing out by owning them anymore as I still don't have my own and would certainly enjoy and appreciate the stuff.

I've found a complete negative bias against something without any flexibility usually mean they are the ones losing out. But, that also means more for others who actually do want. :)

Well I do own one and all the games. I may have still lost out... :D

But yes, standard IMHO disclaimer. ;)

• Like 2

... Telegames has a "special" on at the moment. JagCD + 6 games for £200. It's basically the pack-ins and 2 other random games.

I've admittedly not read any other posts in the thread but in seeing your thread's essential question (from a fellow Englander, no less! :thumbsup: ) I just had to reply. :)

In a word: YES!

£200 is indeed a whole load of cash to be shelling out on what is at the end of the day "only" an add-on peripheral for a retro games console and so I think I kinda see where you're maybe coming from in openly asking such a question. £200 for a BNIB Jaguar CD alone would imho be rather steep BUT with six additional games included for the price its a great deal. Honestly, if I didn't already own a Jaguar CD I'd be snapping up that deal immediately!

Caveat: Apologies in advance if this question's already been asked by someone else here but are those six game all ADDITIONAL to the system's pack-in titles or inclusive of?

• Like 1

The Jag CD isn't a bad add-on, it's just not good value for the money it costs these days. There are very few exclusives and most of the multi-platform titles are better on other platforms. For the price it takes to get a decent Jag CD with a few mediocre games, you can score just about any other platform from the same time period (or any time period, for that matter) with some of the *best* games on said platform. That's the kind of value you may want to consider..

If you're the type that likes to get twisted though, the Jag CD still has one of the best music visualizers ever created....... ;) :D

BTW, just a helpful hint, if you want to play Myst, I may recommend getting it in one form or another on the PC. It will be mega-cheap and you will be playing it the way it was meant to be played. GOG.com has it for $6, pretty much guaranteed to run on modern-day machines. :thumbsup:

Edited by Austin
  • Like 4

... Telegames has a "special" on at the moment. JagCD + 6 games for £200. It's basically the pack-ins and 2 other random games.

Caveat: Apologies in advance if this question's already been asked by someone else here but are those six game all ADDITIONAL to the system's pack-in titles or inclusive of?

Thanks for all the great responses everyone. I'm really grateful for all your honest and well thought-out comments, It's pretty refreshing compared to the responses you'd get on most other boards ;)

I think Austin put it in perspective nicely, for the same price, I could get a PC Engine with a selection of great games, rather than a flakey system with a handful of novelties. Lets be honest, I could get another arcade cab for that price and I'd get MUCH more enjoyment out of it.

That said, I'll keep my eye out for a bargain JagCD if one ever comes my way. Also, if anyone is looking to get rid of a skunkboard... ;)

• Like 1

£200 is too much to spend on one imo, I have had a couple in the last three or four years, and decided to sell them pretty swiftly after buying.

A PC engine and a flash cart or a 3DO and lots of change would be better things to spend your money on

• Like 1

I'm pretty much the same opinion as remowilliams on this one. I consider the JagCD purely a collectible, and that is the deciding factor on whether to buy a unit or not. I can't imagine buying a JagCD to play Myst, a game that should be easily found freeware. I'm glad I have a unit already, but knowing what I know, and the quality of the games, I would never repurchase the JagCD shall I need to part with it for money.

Thanks for all the great responses everyone. I'm really grateful for all your honest and well thought-out comments, It's pretty refreshing compared to the responses you'd get on most other boards ;)

I think Austin put it in perspective nicely, for the same price, I could get a PC Engine with a selection of great games, rather than a flakey system with a handful of novelties. Lets be honest, I could get another arcade cab for that price and I'd get MUCH more enjoyment out of it.

That said, I'll keep my eye out for a bargain JagCD if one ever comes my way. Also, if anyone is looking to get rid of a skunkboard... ;)

Well its up to you but I think the Jag CD is a great machine. If you make it to Jagfest X in September then you can play it for yourself and make a decision then as mine will be there and I have a complete collection of games too including all the homebrews and protos :love:

Well its up to you but I think the Jag CD is a great machine. If you make it to Jagfest X in September then you can play it for yourself and make a decision then as mine will be there and I have a complete collection of games too including all the homebrews and protos :love:

I definitely plan on being there, so I'll take you up on your offer. :)

I can't believe - in a thread like this - that nobody pointed out how UNRELIABLE the JAG CD is, with age.

My experience is limited, and I have not owned a JAG for several years. However, if you find a JAG CD, there is a good chance it is defective and does not work nowdays. This is especially crazy when you consider the prices - as others have alluded to above.

I'd be extremely skeptical that a reasonably-priced unit works. I'd have to see proof. Then how long will it work for you, before it breaks - even if you buy an expensive, working unit?

Somebody correct me if I am wrong, in which case I do apologize.

• Like 3

I can't believe - in a thread like this - that nobody pointed out how UNRELIABLE the JAG CD is, with age.

My experience is limited, and I have not owned a JAG for several years. However, if you find a JAG CD, there is a good chance it is defective and does not work nowdays. This is especially crazy when you consider the prices - as others have alluded to above.

I'd be extremely skeptical that a reasonably-priced unit works. I'd have to see proof. Then how long will it work for you, before it breaks - even if you buy an expensive, working unit?

I have had my Jag CD since new (I bought it on release day) and never had any kind of problem with and its been well used.

Jag CD's break because people don't take care of them properly (pushing the spindle down is the most common thing). Look after it and it will serve you just as well as any other console of that age.

• Like 1

I have had my Jag CD since new (I bought it on release day) and never had any kind of problem with and its been well used.

Jag CD's break because people don't take care of them properly (pushing the spindle down is the most common thing). Look after it and it will serve you just as well as any other console of that age.

Pretty much the same experience for me, I agree 100%.

Is the Jaguar CD expensive? Yes. But though it has a small library it is a good library. Battlemorph, and Iron Soldier 2 are killer-apps for the CD unit, Hover Strike: U.L. is a runner-up and everything else is good or great, with the exception of Space Ace which has terrible timing issues. The VLM is extraordinary with music and the home-brew scene is active with both free and commercial releases. The Jaguar CD may have a small "official release" library, but honestly, for me, I spend just as much time playing the CD games as I do the cartridge games of which I have more than twice as many. The Jaguar experiences falls far short of "complete" without the Jaguar CD.

Edited by Gunstar