IGNORED

C-Gull new Lynx minigame

Turbo Laser Lynx

I finally finished my Lynx minigame C-Gull. Actually the game was programmed in 2007, but now I added some music which I felt was needed. Hope you enjoy it although it's very simple. It's possible to play two players on one Lynx, or against the Lynx, controlled by the "advanced gull brain AI" ;)

In the start screen push the joypad to the right to change between 1 player easy, 1 player hard and 2 players.

Controls:

Hunter: shoot = joypad up, left = joypad left, right = joypad right.

Seagull: shoot = option 1, left = A, right = B.

Programming and abc notation by me.

Music: A Flock of Seagulls - I ran.

Special thanks to Karri for the MegaPak template and Lynx abc music.

Many thanks to all the skillful Lynx programmers that do the real programming and advance the Lynx programming tools for "game creators" like me.

Greetings to everyone in this great Lynx community.

You can download C-Gull from my Lynx website

Sampo

I wish we had a Lynx release that had a bunch of the old game and watch reproductions on it. I think that would be a great addition to the collection. I really wish someone would redo the Zelda game and watch so you can play them...

(Looks like I just found out something I didn't know: unlockable Zelda Game and Watch

— I haven't seen many Zelda Game and Watch videos, so I decided to upload one. This game can be unlocked in Game and Watch Gallery 4 GBA. I didn't start off too hot in this one. I found it a little more fun when I realized I could block behind me. Enjoy!

Sweet! I am going to play a bit...

Now... do they have the watch version available anywhere?

These would be great on a Lynx

Look here in case you want to retry some of the classics (and some newer stuff)

Handheld Remakes

Edited by EricDeLee

Well C-gull is so mini that I would prefer doing a more ambitious game for the contest. But sadly right now it looks like I'm not gonna have the time to join the contest.

if you need some help to improve some things, you can contact me

and wonderful music - its ingenious how you handle the abc.

Regards

Matthias

Thanks for your kind comments guys.

I wish we had a Lynx release that had a bunch of the old game and watch reproductions on it.

A Lynx cart with many "Game and Watch" styled games would indeed be cool. They're pretty fun to play when you're in the mood for some frantic action. When I started to program parafly I thought it would be easier/faster to code a game & watch game than some other kind of game, but it was ofc as time consuming. I actually bought a couple of real multi screen Game and Watches recently (Mickey and Donald, Mario Bros and Greenhouse) 'cause I think they're pretty gorgeous.

I own "Game and Watch Gallery 4" too and it's pretty great. It's just a pain to play trough the modern versions to unlock some of the old games.

The Game & Watch Collection for the DS is pretty nice too as it contains donkey kong and greenhouse. It was pretty much the reason why I bought a sd card thingy for my DS ('cause this is otherwise awailable only in japan and now in the us through club nintendo).

I havn't tried Game & Watch Collection Vol.2 for the DS but it looks pretty nice, however multi screen games would fit the DS better obviously.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx8QTejGG2o

Awesome! I wonder when the Euro-trash will be selling this on eBay in a VHS case for 39 Euros.

I hope the pirates don't try to cash in on your efforts.

Yeah it wouldn't be really worthwhile putting this on cart unless coupled with other small games in a collection (like MegaPak). Personally buying a minigame/demo like c-gull for 39 euros would be extremely dissapointing, it would be a rip off charging more than like 5-10 bucks for it.

Perhaps a cartridge with C-Gull coupled with my two other released minigames "Artillery" and "Conquistador" would almost be worthwhile haha :D

Hey nice! :D Thanks. Looks cool.

One thing is that i wouldn't really want to put "Knightmare" or "Karateboy" on cart since they're just unfinished test demos, while "C-Gull", "Conquistador" and "Artillery" are finished playable mini-games/demos.

However this is just talk, since I have not personally succeeded in loading several games from a cart yet. But I'll give it another try with Karri's cart template again soon. A license like Fadest has for "Yastuna" 1 and 2 would be nice for such a modest cart, that anyone could put it on a real cart and sell it if they want to.

http://fadest.free.fr/Yastuna2/indexen.html#Download

But when I think of it there should really be a couple of more games on it to make it worthwhile, otherwise the cart would inevitably become overpriced in comparision to what you get.

• 4 years later...

On the topic of Conquistador, I've tried two ROMs for it (ie, a ROM from two different places) and can't get it to play via either Handy or the FlashCart. Anyone know what's up? Or got a different version they can send?

The one I was trying came from here:

http://rampart.pp.fi/lynx/lynx.html

And the FlashCart settings I am using are [X] *.o and [X] 256k/BL (does Baud matter?). The game appears to load on the FlashCart, I get a splash screen with music and "Press Button", but when I do, it freezes.

@mvirtuale Unfortunately I neither have the knowledge or time to put those games on a cart (I wish I had), but since the games are free to use anyone that knows how to do it could potentially put them on a real cart. Ofc one problem is that C-Gull is programmed within Karri's "MegaPak" cartridge template while the two other ones are done with the old version of the cc65 compiler so I wouldn't know how to merge them onto one cartridge without porting them to the newer version of cc65.

@Trew and @Lynxman, that's my Lynx page, I've managed to run all of those games/files on Karris old flashcart so I guess they should be ok.

• 2 weeks later...

It makes me happy that you like to play my small games! :)

We will see what the future brings, I have many hopes/dreams about doing more lynx stuff but on the other hand I have lots of other hobby projects going on (and a day job) so my time is unfortunately extremely limited.

Actually you can play two player C-gull on one Lynx (or same keyboard with handy on pc), here's the Controls:

Hunter: shoot = joypad up,

left = joypad left,

right = joypad right.

Seagull:

shoot = option 1,

left = A,

right = B

In the start screen push the joypad to the right to change between 1 player easy, 1 player hard and 2 players.

Edited by Turbo Laser Lynx

• 2 weeks later...

Cool, I hope you had a fun time with your friends! :grin:

@Trew and Lynxman, I made .LNX files of all my minigames/demos, maybe those would work better than the .o files. You can download them here: http://rampart.pp.fi/lynx/lynx.html

Nice. My Lynx is with McWill getting modded right now... will give it a spin once it comes back though, for sure!