IGNORED

Memories of where and when you first played/saw this game

retrorussell

Hey all.

Just thought it might be interesting to take one game a week, and test everyone's memory as to where they first saw it/played it/had the best memories of it. Maybe one game every Monday? Starting today, obviously. I'll throw out the first game, and people can suggest others as the week progresses:

Mappy (1983), Bally/Midway (licensed by Namco)

I believe I first saw this one at Wunderland in NE Portland on 103rd and Halsey.. HUGE nickel arcade. There's many locations but this was the biggest one I remember. I couldn't really get into it that much at the time but got to appreciate it a little bit more as I got older. I was 12 at the time and would get dropped off by my stepmom for a couple hours. I would go through about 3 bucks worth of nickels per visit.. I remember once on my birthday she made me pay for my cousin (bitch!) and I didn't have any play money left for myself. The guy at the desk was surprised to hear that I didn't have enough money for games for myself, and he gave me a dollar's worth. Nice guy!

• Like 1

Like the idea of this post to do something on a weekly basis or so..

I believe I first saw Mappy at a place I called "the dead arcade". I love that game and was very good at it.

This arcade was in a bowling alley. In the 60's and 70's this was probably a cool place to go. When I was younger (I was born in 1973) my Mother was on a league there and used to leave me in their child care room. I remember the walls had "bleacher" like seats on them, there was a television, toys, and the walls were painted with trees.

I don't recall much of the arcade from that time period, but as I grew up in the 80's we'd go there a lot. There was about 15 to 20 games and a pinball or two. Most of the games were not working, the child care place was closed, nobody really visited the bar nor the food place. There was maybe 30 or 40 lanes, but down the road was a much nicer bowling alley with electronic scoring and double the lanes.

I used to play Mappy here often. One day the machine was broke some how.. sort of like how an Atari 2600 can be "fryed"? The game was giving out free games! So, this kid was playing the machine. My friend and I asked if we could play. We played for awhile and wouldn't give it up. Finally we said he can have the machine back, but first we pulled out the power so it reset itself and no more free games.

Strangely enough, I neither saw or heard of Mappy back in the 80's, despite hanging out in arcades all the time. That one just must have missed my area (Central Virginia.) So the first time I played it was when it was added to MAME in the late 90's. I did finally see the cabinet and play it during PhillyClassic 4.

New one for this week:

Bagman, 1982 Valadon Automation/Stern

I'm pretty sure I first saw this at the Avalaon Theater in SE Portland.. I had just got done seeing an incredibly boring film called "Timerider". I needed to get some sort of positive out of the day by playing a lot of Bagman and Rally-X. This was either in 1982 or 1983, making me 11 or 12.

Good topic RR!!!!

Mappy-----I played this the first time it came out at a drug/pharmacy store called Perry Drugs I believe was in 83'ish...I can't believe this game was considered a flop from what I remember there was always people playing it. I remember being sandwhiched between a Kung Fu Master and a Bosconian.....And I do like not love this game; my buddy actually still has his

Bagman----First played this at my buddy's arcade we had in my small hometown in Il. I hate to admit it but back then I couldn't get into it and even now I have the same issue. Maybe too hard? Can't really say It wasn't my cup of tea. On a side note there was another classic Stern there at the same arcade that I loved... A little classic called Pooyan.......

I'm late...

Mappy: I think I first saw this (most games) at a place called Friar Tucks game room in Calumet City, IL.

Bagman: Never saw this one anywhere until I played the C64 version (Bagitman) in the mid 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icUK2hlfCW8

Never saw a Mappy here in MN and I was an arcade rat! The first time I played it was on the NES and with games like Zelda, etc.. well, I wasn't overly impressed but even with all the cool games on the NES I did enjoy it's simple rules and cute arcade artwork. Now I have it on my multicade play it now and then. If I found a dedicated one for around $300 I would snag it in a heartbeat, very cool looking cabinet!

• Like 1

Mappy: I can't remember, but the machine flips around after 30 or 33 rounds or something like that. I've flipped it a few times and I always skip the bonus rounds by falling through on purpose. I hate that round. If they had made different ones I'd have liked them.

Bagman: I can't remember the first time I saw it.. but I always thought the game was hard. I wouldn't get very far on my quarter, so I didn't play often. The main reason I replayed it is 'cause it pissed me off and I wanted to try to do better.

Next game: VENTURE (1981), Exidy

I think I first saw this at the Beaverton roller skating rink by the Beaverton Mall shortly after it first came out.. either there or Chuck E. Cheese, or maybe the Electric Palace in the mall. God, this is one of the hardest I've ever played! The troll room REALLY pisses me off to this day.