IGNORED

Memories of where and when you first played/saw this game

retrorussell

Here's one that might be better known to some of us by its NES port - Legendary Wings (Capcom, 1986).

1181242126181.png

1181242126180.png

In this game, you play a guy with wings who has to shoot airborne targets and bomb ground targets like Xevious. Unlike the aforementioned game's sci-fi setting, this game has more a Greek mythology setting. If you were swallowed by a giant mouth (yuck!), you got pulled into an underground side-scrolling level.

I did play the arcade game at least once at a department store in North Carolina; I've never actually played the NES port. At this time, I have a copy of the PlayStation 2 Capcom Classics Collection en route to me which has this game so I get to play it all I want!

Who else played this?

I never played LW at an arcade but did see it once. I think it was at a nickel arcade I frequented. I felt there were better shooters before, during and after. You could do worse though. The Greek mythology spin was done much better with Namco's PHELIOS.

1181242158167.jpg

The games in this thread aren't old enough. Sea Wolf (1976): saw this in my local mall arcade (Fun City) and the Lancaster Lanes bowling alley in Lancaster, PA. The game was a big hit. Would love to have this game in my collection.

Whenever I see pictures of the cab or gameplay of this, I'm sure that I played it in person, but I can't remember a specific session with it. So much of my arcade memory is clouded in a childlike filter. I was probably only a year old when this came out (if that).

Heh.. how about this one?

SPRINT 2 (Kee Games, Atari 1976)

I saw this Sprint far more often than any other (even more than Super/Championship Sprint). I played a lot of it back in the day, when I was barely tall enough to see what was going on on the screen. Black & White game where the track changes AS you drive through it! Multiple cars race you and you just keep completing laps to try to get a good "grade" at the end.

Sprint2b.jpg

Sprint_2_-_1976_-_Atari.jpg

I saw this at ALL the arcades back then, so I can't pinpoint an exact one I remember seeing this at specifically.

• Like 2

I remember playing Two Tigers at a convenience store back in the 80s. I wanted to remember what was this game called; I thought it was Dogfight at first. It was a thrill just sinking the ships. The convenience store has long been torn down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PU9-oZELSM

OMG, I've been looking for this game for ages. Saw it in a mall arcade when I was really young, but could never remember what it was called. Were there ever any similar games or sequels released? Any home ports?

No ports for Two Tigers as far as I know. Nor on any compilation cds for PC, Playstations, whatever that I know of.

Did a little sleuthing online and it looks like there was a clone made for C64 and Amstrad called The Island of Dr. Destructo, but that's about it. I'm going to try it. I wonder how well MAME emulates Two Tigers, considering it had an 8-trac tape background soundtrack.

You can get a sample which puts the music into Journey for MAME but Two Tigers doesn't show that there is a sample for it.

Gary

Wow, guess there IS a sample for that. I made a video for a JOURNEY review, but I'm glad I didn't put that sample in. Sony or whoever would have no doubt pitched a bitch about copyright violation and blah blah blah.

I wanted to bring in NIGHT DRIVER by Atari but couldn't figure out how to add a picture. I used to live next to a bowling alley that had the stand up version. The only video game where I played the expert level better than the beginner level. It just took learning the rhythm of the track and I could play without crashing.

Gary

Edited by heberts811

Heh.. how about this one?

SPRINT 2 (Kee Games, Atari 1976)

I saw this Sprint far more often than any other (even more than Super/Championship Sprint). I played a lot of it back in the day, when I was barely tall enough to see what was going on on the screen. Black & White game where the track changes AS you drive through it! Multiple cars race you and you just keep completing laps to try to get a good "grade" at the end.

Sprint2b.jpg

Sprint_2_-_1976_-_Atari.jpg

I saw this at ALL the arcades back then, so I can't pinpoint an exact one I remember seeing this at specifically.

I know I played this BITD. Have you ever seen a Sprint 8?

118124217264.jpg

There was only one place I recall ever seeing a Sprint 8 and that was at the Hersheypark arcade.

Pictures:

Night_Driver_-_1976_-_Atari.jpg

nightdriver_n.jpg

I don't know that I ever saw a Night Driver cockpit. I only ever remember playing the upright. Funspot has a working Night Driver upright.

Here's another b/w game I played in the 70s: Robot Bowl.

1245682340.jpg

I played that at Lancaster Lanes bowling alley. That's another title they have at Funspot.

Also at the bowling alley, I played the pi$$ out of this game:

1090423189.jpg

My Dad was in a Sunday night bowling league and as a kid I would tag along and drop a $h1tload of quarters in arcade games.

• Like 1

I've seen and played a Gun Fight. I've never seen any Night Driver cab, but that sit down looks pretty sweet. I would put some quarters in that for sure.

I was unaware the older Sprint games even existed until I was an adult <shame>. I definitely played Super Sprint though, and I've since played these older ones in MAME.

I was thinking there was a Sprint 8 in the film Bustin' Loose. Maybe it was an Indy 500.

GUN FIGHT I played a lot at Malibu Gran Prix in my neighborhood. My stepmom played Stunt Cycle and my dad would play the foosball table. I also played a lot of Sprint 2 and a pinball game with a playing card motif.

I know I played this BITD. Have you ever seen a Sprint 8?

118124217264.jpg

There was only one place I recall ever seeing a Sprint 8 and that was at the Hersheypark arcade.

I don't know that I ever saw a Night Driver cockpit. I only ever remember playing the upright. Funspot has a working Night Driver upright.

Here's another b/w game I played in the 70s: Robot Bowl.

1245682340.jpg

I played that at Lancaster Lanes bowling alley. That's another title they have at Funspot.

Also at the bowling alley, I played the pi$$ out of this game:

1090423189.jpg

My Dad was in a Sunday night bowling league and as a kid I would tag along and drop a $h1tload of quarters in arcade games.

I remember playing Robot Bowl at a local bar and grill. They also had Asteroids, Donkey Kong and Pacman plus a pinball game but I don't remember the name of it. One time I was faking playing Donkey Kong by mimicking the controls as the demo played because I ran out of quarters and some older lady who just entered the place saw me at the controls asked if I was any good at it.

Here's an obscure one:

PIRANHA (GL/U.S. Billiards, 1981)

Absolutely awful hack job on Pac-Man, putting you in the titular role as you try to eat the dots in a maze with VERY few walls or borders at all as you're pursued by octopi, making the game very, very hard! And the exit tunnels don't always work!

Piranha_-_1981_-_GLL_Software.jpg

1181242150123.png

I saw this at a defunct pizza place not far from where I live called PROGRESS PIZZA. Had many an after-basketball party there with my teammates.

LIFE FORCE I only saw at one arcade; don't remember which. I didn't like that they ditched the power-up choice system from the other Gradius games. Fortunately they put it back in the NES version. And, gave you 30 lives with the Konami code!

For the uninitiated, this was also called SALAMANDER.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Time for one of my all-time favorites: Rolling Thunder!

I first saw it at a Sears arcade in CA. From my other posts, you know the game over screen scared the crap out of me. I'm over it now.

I also remember seeing Mappy for the first time in The Purple Room, in the Willowbrook Mall in Wayne NJ!

I remember Gyruss when it first came out, that was fun.

And then I remember that my entire junior high played Sinistar when it came out...good God, that game was insane!

• Like 1

Ah yes, ROLLING THUNDER..

rolling-thunder-cabinet.jpg

Very tough platform/shooting game with spy intrigue.. the game got MUCH easier once you had the machine gun! I cracked up at the cutscene where the bad guys are punching at their boss's head for some inexplicable reason.

Played it a bit at a nickel arcade BITD.. a little too tough for me back then.

• Like 2