IGNORED

SCART 7800

barnieg

I'd really like to avoid modding my existing 7800 for composite out therefore the question is how easy is it to obtain a 7800 with SCART output and what sort of cost am I looking at? In some respects I'm thinking it might still be cheaper than having someone modding my existing 7800.

finally to run one in the UK am I right the only change I would need to make would be to use a UK PSU?

Barnie

I bought mine some time ago on the french ebay. They turn up quite often and shouldn`t be more expensive than the UK machines...

What is the video quality like on SCART? I have just had look a some of the postings on the French ebay. one has a in game picture of the TV and it did not look so good. there seemed to be strong ghosting of the picture.

Also does any one know what the video out signal is? is to SCART Style RGB, composite or s-video?

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Mon May 31, 2010 2:52 PM' timestamp='1275342727' post='2023307]

I bought mine some time ago on the french ebay. They turn up quite often and shouldn`t be more expensive than the UK machines...

What is the video quality like on SCART? I have just had look a some of the postings on the French ebay. one has a in game picture of the TV and it did not look so good. there seemed to be strong ghosting of the picture.

Also does any one know what the video out signal is? is to SCART Style RGB, composite or s-video?

It's RGB and the picture quality is excellent.

And for the original poster, a UK power supply should work fine with it.

Mitch

Rather strangely ebay uk won't bring up french listings even if I specify European union. Anyway a quick search of ebay france brings up quite a few choices, some of them state they don't include the scart cable but not if they actually have the peritel socket. It's very tempting to get one that has the cable etc as it would mean I could get rgb output for 2600 games which would be particularly useful for when I get a harmony cart :)

Does anyone know how the scart output works, I know its a second board added to the main-board but is there any other differences i.e could one of these scart boards be added to a standard 7800?

Barnie

Rather strangely ebay uk won't bring up french listings even if I specify European union. Anyway a quick search of ebay france brings up quite a few choices, some of them state they don't include the scart cable but not if they actually have the peritel socket. It's very tempting to get one that has the cable etc as it would mean I could get rgb output for 2600 games which would be particularly useful for when I get a harmony cart :)

Does anyone know how the scart output works, I know its a second board added to the main-board but is there any other differences i.e could one of these scart boards be added to a standard 7800?

Barnie

It doesn't have a peritel socket, it uses a 13 pin din connector the same as an Atari ST computer. I've never seen the board sold separately so I think your only choice is to buy one with it built in.

Mitch

boo, hiss.

:lol: All my games are developed in PAL first.

Why would a system that outputs in RGB only accept PAL games? Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt RGB region neutral?

What about playing an Atari 7800 with SCART RGB with a Cuttle Cart 2 ? Will that work for playing NTSC games on an RGB 7800 ?

Edited by RGB_Gamer

boo, hiss.

Why would a system that outputs in RGB only accept PAL games? Correct me if I am wrong, but isnt RGB region neutral?

What about playing an Atari 7800 with SCART RGB with a Cuttle Cart 2 ? Will that work for playing NTSC games on an RGB 7800 ?

No, you still would have to load PAL games on the CC2 to play correctly. Even though PAL and NTSC are supposed to be only color formats they have come to be understood to include screen size and frame rate as well.

Mitch

boo, hiss.

No, you still would have to load PAL games on the CC2 to play correctly. Even though PAL and NTSC are supposed to be only color formats they have come to be understood to include screen size and frame rate as well.

Mitch

Could you use a cable to convert the RGB to AV out?

• 2 weeks later...

I'd really like to avoid modding my existing 7800 for composite out therefore the question is how easy is it to obtain a 7800 with SCART output and what sort of cost am I looking at? In some respects I'm thinking it might still be cheaper than having someone modding my existing 7800.

finally to run one in the UK am I right the only change I would need to make would be to use a UK PSU?

Barnie

I bought one last year and the picture looks great. The French 7800 needs a multi standard TV as the RGB signal isn't the same as UK RGB. The French 2 pin/24-volt power supply can be plugged into a UK 2 pin shaving adapter.

If you're looking for one on eBay try including the word "peritel" (french name for scart) when searching and select "Include title and description".

Edited by Math You

The French 7800 needs a multi standard TV as the RGB signal isn't the same as UK RGB.

Can you be more specific about what is different? It's a PAL RGB signal so I'm not sure why it would need a special TV. As long as the TV has an RGB SCART socket it should work.

Mitch

As far as I know, rgb is rgb whatever the region, that is why a jap pc engine and an NTSC genisis/32x with rgb can be used on my uk tv sets.

I certainly don't have any problem with my 7800 peritel on a very basic Sony CRT that is deffinately not multi standard

I doubt that the french 7800 would have RGB. It may be written on the output but they only use composite and S-Video for these older systems. So not all the pins in the SCART are used all the time depending on the inner connections and on old systems they use the Scart but put uot composite or S-Video in it, just that it fits in the same connection as a Scart that has RGB.

Besides, the french 7800 is said to be disfunctional with a lot of games to VCS, compared to the USA version where only a couple of games are incompatible with the newer versions that lacks the expansion port

The French 7800 needs a multi standard TV as the RGB signal isn't the same as UK RGB.

Can you be more specific about what is different? It's a PAL RGB signal so I'm not sure why it would need a special TV. As long as the TV has an RGB SCART socket it should work.

Mitch

Some of the colours in 7800 games don't appear correctly on my TV or appear in grey-scale. Maybe my TV is only detectng a composite signal???

Mitch

Some of the colours in 7800 games don't appear correctly on my TV or appear in grey-scale. Maybe my TV is only detectng a composite signal???

I have got to say I have lived all over Europe now. I have used bits of equipment from England, Germany, Greece and France. I have never had problems with any SCART interconnection. SCART seems to have been the one standard interface, until HDMI came along.

BTW. Last week I received a 7800 from France, and it works fine on a German Toshiba wide screen TV, connection is SCART.

Mitch

Does your TV have an RGB SCART socket? Could be a failing 7800 as well, you might try it on another TV and see if it has the same issues.

Mitch

Mitch

Does your TV have an RGB SCART socket? Could be a failing 7800 as well, you might try it on another TV and see if it has the same issues.

Mitch

Just tried the 7800 with an RGB TV. Looks like I've bought a bad 7800. All of the 2600 games look fine except Crackpots which seems to have the wrong colours (maybe it's an NTSC version). All the 7800 games are in greyscale and cyan????