IGNORED

RGB SCART for the 7800

Sub(Function(:))

In this thread I have been informed that the French 7800 units have RGB outputs.

Has any one got the schematics for French 7800 units, or at least the video output section?

I would like to see if it would be possible to modify my normal RF only PAL unit to output RGB.icon_lust.gif

The problem with the French units is they use a 13 pin din socket for the RGB out, I would like to use a panel mounting SCART socket.

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Mon May 31, 2010 10:29 PM' timestamp='1275370160' post='2023543]

In this thread I have been informed that the French 7800 units have RGB outputs.

Has any one got the schematics for French 7800 units, or at least the video output section?

I would like to see if it would be possible to modify my normal RF only PAL unit to output RGB.icon_lust.gif

The problem with the French units is they use a 13 pin din socket for the RGB out, I would like to use a panel mounting SCART socket.

They use a standard PAL 7800 with the RF modulator removed and a special RGB board in it's place. I'm not aware of any schematics for it and considering how many jumpers are on that thing it might be a pain to draw up.

I doubt a standard SCART socket would fit very well unless you totally cut up the back of the 7800. The 13 pin DIN to SCART cable that it comes with works just fine.

Mitch

The 7800PAL uses a Sony V7021 video processor and a delay to create an RGB encoder (though I think they removed the delay in the final design) - also I think there was a capacitance issue when using Peritel cables.

Curt

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Tue Jun 1, 2010 1:29 AM' timestamp='1275370160' post='2023543]

You can actually run a SC1224 monitor off of it according to some notes I read a while back, I have the schematics and the pc board films archived (just not marked, they aren't inventoried yet) I'll see if I can dig them out.

Curt

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Mon May 31, 2010 10:29 PM' timestamp='1275370160' post='2023543]

They use a standard PAL 7800 with the RF modulator removed and a special RGB board in it's place. I'm not aware of any schematics for it and considering how many jumpers are on that thing it might be a pain to draw up.

I doubt a standard SCART socket would fit very well unless you totally cut up the back of the 7800. The 13 pin DIN to SCART cable that it comes with works just fine.

Mitch

You can actually run a SC1224 monitor off of it according to some notes I read a while back, I have the schematics and the pc board films archived (just not marked, they aren't inventoried yet) I'll see if I can dig them out.

Curt

It probably depends on what model of SC1224 you are using. I doubt it would work with the Goldstar but it might with the other two.

It does work great with the SC1435 though, which is what I use.

Mitch

I'd love to be able to do RGB from my 7800. Is there an NTSC RGB solution? I have a Sony PVM and have my Genesis and Sega Saturn hooked up via analog RGB. I'm assuming the PAL 7800 wouldn't work on that monitor, plus I don't have any PAL games (except for PAL 2600 ROMs on the Harmony cartridge). :(

Is there an RGB solution for people in the US? Could a SCART PAL 7800 be modded to work with NTSC games? Just curious what the options are.

Mitch

I have seen some cheap panel mounting SCART connectors (they usually come on a wall mounting socket. If I get one of these mounting sockets then I can use the wall plate as a template to cut the back of the case.

I want to use SCART socket over 13pin Din as the Din socket is a pain to solder in comparison to a SCART plug. Having a SCART Socket on the back would mean I could just standard cables for the TV.

To be true the best option would be to buy a French unit. But my french is not so good, and I from what I have seen some do not sell with the cable. So It seemed it would be easier (and more useful to me) to mod my own unit.

Is there an RGB solution for people in the US? Could a SCART PAL 7800 be modded to work with NTSC games? Just curious what the options are.

The Data sheet for the part Curt mentions is PAL/NTSC. However a quick search for the part seems to show it is now out of stock, so this might not be a viable solution. icon_tears.gif

Curt

Thanks Curt, It looks at the moment that this may be a non-starter, but I am keeping my fingers crossed.

The 7800PAL uses a Sony V7021 video processor and a delay to create an RGB encoder (though I think they removed the delay in the final design) - also I think there was a capacitance issue when using Peritel cables.

I've just double checked my PAL PCB and an old RF modulator I've removed and the Sony chip isn't on either. It must just be on the plug-in board the SECAM units use.

I've just double checked my PAL PCB and an old RF modulator I've removed and the Sony chip isn't on either. It must just be on the plug-in board the SECAM units use.

That is correct, it is on the RGB board.

Mitch