IGNORED

Anybody else absolutely -LOVE- California Games?

Atari Joe

While we're talking California Games I am going to stray off-topic for a bit and say that the Nintendo NES version of this title, released appropriately in the summer of 1989, is better somewhat for it contains all six events as with the Apple II and Commodore 64 computer ports the game was originally developed for when initially released in 1987.

The Sega Master System port was released during the spring of 1990. The Genesis version released a year later, although better in terms of graphics, of course given the system is a 16-bit, lacks the frisbee event, and it also rearranges the event songs (the skating level using the halfpipe music; the halfpipe level using the surfing music; the surfing level using the frisbee music even though the latter level is not included; the hackysack level using the skating music; and the BMX level using the hackysack music).

I could go on and on about this; however, I must moderate myself as you guys are talking specifically about the Atari Lynx port of CG.

~Ben

Edited by ColecoFan1981

I just want to be on record as saying that the Atari Lynx version of his game is my favorite version. Lynx games had a unique visual style that I appreciate to this day. Plus I thought the gameplay was pretty tight. I used to especially enjoy the surfing. I played this game for years until my OG Lynx eventually died. (just a couple of years ago.) Good thing I just bought a new Lynx at CGE! Now I'm back into the game.

• 2 weeks later...

you know, I just re-read my original "California Games" post that got this thread going. I honestly think out of anything I've ever said or done on this website, my spiel on Calfiornia games was my finest post ever.

and not because of what I said or how I said it, which was of course spectacular as always, but because California Games is such a great game that even the mention of that opening music, the flipping license plate and the girl on skates.. the way the surfer's hair blows in the breezy sea, the feel of the halfpipe track or the look of the dirt & turf on the BMX track.. it brings such iconic vivid imagery to mind and paints a picture of long summers, sunny days, and fun with our friends.

That's what California Games is all about (charlie brown).

It's a great pack-in game. I don't think I would have bought this one by itself back in the day, there's just too many better games out there.

On the BMX, the best way to score points was by getting your bike to do a forward flip, that's how you score huge. There's a couple of spots where you can back-flip, hitting your front tire on the edge of a cliff which will bounce your bike forwards for a front flip. You can score about 1500 points on that one maneuver. Another tip on the BMX is to remember that you don't want to flip on every chance you get, sometimes you just want to fall off a cliff as opposed to jumping, because there are spots that will naturally flip your bike if you are going the right speed in free fall. There's a lot of memorization on the bmx track for sure.

Edited by Gunstarhero

I have been training to beat the world record in surfing on the Lynx. According to Twin Galaxies, the current world record is: 11,140. You can see the top three here: California Games Surfing World Record. I've been playing on and off for the last couple of years and my highest score to date was in the 9,000's. I'll see if I can find the photo I took and post it here. Can anybody here beat the world record? I'd like to talk strategy because I'm getting to the point where I can throw down quad after quad after quad without crashing and I still can't get over 10,000. I've done a 5x rotation before but I didn't catch how many points I got for it. Maybe the key is to do the energy build up even longer and then throw down just a few 5x's before time runs out.

--Wookie

Edited by Wookie

i agree, this is definitely one of my top fave lynx games. I especially love the bmx and surfing, I loved building up speed and height on surfing to ludicrous levels. All the events are fun, though. I really don't think the other versions, even with more events, are better at all. Not even close, imho. I'd rather have 4 awesome games than 6 good ones.

Here's a photo of my highest score in surfing: 9050. This is clearly a second place score, but I really want the world record. Does anybody know how to break 10,000? I'm good enough now that it is just a matter of strategy. Do I do a bunch of fast triples or fewer but higher scoring quads or do I spend most of the time building up energy so that I can land just a couple 5x's, or maybe even just one 6x?

--wookie

post-20384-12828405171_thumb.jpg

Edited by Wookie

Speaking of world records, maybe we should do a series of high score club challenges specifically focused on breaking the existing world record. Pick a game, look it up in the twin galaxies database, post the current world record and the rules for officially breaking it and let's get some AA peeps holding official world records.

--wookie

Speaking of world records, maybe we should do a series of high score club challenges specifically focused on breaking the existing world record. Pick a game, look it up in the twin galaxies database, post the current world record and the rules for officially breaking it and let's get some AA peeps holding official world records.

--wookie

Speaking of that, my half-pipe record is about 4,000 points higher than the current world record.

--wookie

Yeah I'd really love to try to find a way to beat that record. I've barely surpased 10k once, and sometimes I can get like 8k or 9k, but its tough. To get that record you probably have to get a quad every time and spend almost no time picking up speed. sometimes i just do the "ride the pelican" for fun. we'll have to think of some good Surfing challenges. Like the most unreal360s in one game, or the longest airtime (use a stopwatch and count how long your surfer stays airborne). California games is BY FAR the best portable game for any handheld console. Super Mario for GBA is pretty close, but not quite. I cant beat any of the records on Twin Galaxies, but of them all id say i have got the closest on BMX. One of these days I'll get a good video camera and push to beat some of those scores. I used to keep track and take photos, but i dont know where all that stuff went.

The BMX records on twin galaxies are laughable, I can get over 3000 routinely. I don't really think Twin Galaxies has the best players for any game, except maybe some old school arcade titles. It's simply just too much hassle and bureaucracy for most reasonable people to deal with.

Edited by Gunstarhero

The BMX records on twin galaxies are laughable, I can get over 3000 routinely. I don't really think Twin Galaxies has the best players for any game, except maybe some old school arcade titles.

on the atari lynx version? r u sure? I can get in the 700s on a good run. I think you're thinking of a different game. If U actually CAN get over 900, post a screen shot. I doubt that ONLY the score for BMX is laughable, I've had the game since 1992, so i'm pretty sure that ALL the high scores on TG are good.

The BMX records on twin galaxies are laughable, I can get over 3000 routinely. I don't really think Twin Galaxies has the best players for any game, except maybe some old school arcade titles.

on the atari lynx version? r u sure? I can get in the 700s on a good run. I think you're thinking of a different game. If U actually CAN get over 900, post a screen shot. I doubt that ONLY the score for BMX is laughable, I've had the game since 1992, so i'm pretty sure that ALL the high scores on TG are good.

Yes, I can score over 3000. The back to front flips and the double front flips are worth a fortune. Not only that, you get a bigger bonus the faster you can cross the finish line. I mean, you should be able to score 900 just for doing regular flips on all the berms and crossing the finish line. I can't just turn the game on and do it though, it takes alot of work because the crazy front flips aren't guaranteed each try.

Edited by Gunstarhero

Yes, I can score over 3000. The back to front flips and the double front flips are worth a fortune. Not only that, you get a bigger bonus the faster you can cross the finish line. I mean, you should be able to score 900 just for doing regular flips on all the berms and crossing the finish line. I can't just turn the game on and do it though, it takes alot of work because the crazy front flips aren't guaranteed each try.

yeah i know how to score points. I just think you havent played it in a while and have your scale WAY off. I would bet some BIG $$$ that you couldnt produce a score of over 900 in 3 months. and yeah I know the front flip off the big jump is hit or miss. I dont ALWAYS have a great score, but dude, the TG score is just not off by THAT much. but thats the internet for u.....

yeah i know how to score points. I just think you havent played it in a while and have your scale WAY off. I would bet some BIG $$$ that you couldnt produce a score of over 900 in 3 months. and yeah I know the front flip off the big jump is hit or miss. I dont ALWAYS have a great score, but dude, the TG score is just not off by THAT much. but thats the internet for u.....

False logic. Just because you can't do something, does not make that a universal truth. People have scored more than 900 on the lynx high score thread for CG. Twin Galaxies is not GOD.

False logic. Just because you can't do something, does not make that a universal truth. People have scored more than 900 on the lynx high score thread for CG. Twin Galaxies is not GOD.

I just wont believe YOU can actually do it on a Lynx (not handy or other emulator) til i see a screen shot. I've had hard enough time getting over 700 that i find it very hard to believe u can get 3000. Thats all im saying. I know that somebody has got over 900, but most people that have done it are using an emulator of some sort. I dont need a video, but a simple photo of your lynx screen would be proof and I'd say im sorry for doubting u.

OK, I haven't played the game in at least 5 years. But I sat down with it for about 45 minutes tonight. You said I couldn't get 900 points in 3 months. I will say maybe 3000 is rather high and my memory is fuzzy but I have certainly have had some 'freak' games with much higher scores than I'm posting in this picture that I made tonight. I remember having a slow day at work a few times and literally spending 4-6 hours on BMX and getting crazy scores. But it doesn't really matter, if I don't have pics I can't prove it, but then again I'm not trying to impress anyone or go for records. I think the TG world record is a joke as I just proved anyway.

The BMX records on twin galaxies are laughable, I can get over 3000 routinely. I don't really think Twin Galaxies has the best players for any game, except maybe some old school arcade titles. It's simply just too much hassle and bureaucracy for most reasonable people to deal with.

They have pretty strict rules for setting an official world record. Typically, the scores you see for obscure games like California Games on the Lynx are from some random old skool game challenge at a refereed gaming tournament like Fun Fest or California Extreme. You've always been able to mail them video tapes/DVD's of you beating a record and they will review and verify the score. Recently they added the ability to upload a record breaking game video via their website.

If you think the current record sucks, whip out your iPhone, take video of you beating the current BMX world record, sign up on twin galaxies and submit the video. This is why I suggested we used the high score club forum for breaking as many world records on the Lynx as we can. I think we can indicate that we're Atari Age members in our twin galaxies accounts.

--Wookie

Yeah I could not have possibly scored 3000 points ever. I'm getting old and losing my mind.

That's why I surf instead.

--Wookie

I like to play both games back and forth really. My best score on BMX is now up to 885 (up from 777) but I cant beat my high score of 10500 on surfing. I can get 9000+ on a regular basis in surfing, but the 10k mark was really tough to break. BMX is much more complicated than surfing, and I just hate when i get a score of 700+ and know i can do so much better on bmx. Surfing is simple, but its still tough to get really high scores. Halfpipe and Footbag are just ok. but I really can do without them both.

edit: and do you guys play with a Lynx 1 or 2? I have a model 2 and sometimes i think i remember the original lynx fitting my hands better. I had a lynx1, but I replaced it with my lynx2 years and years ago.

Edited by lynxmatt1980