IGNORED

New Atari Hardware Console/System?

Super Karnov

With founder Nolen Bushnell on the Atari, SA board of directors could he actually suggest or push for a new Atari console? Could Atari, SA afford it? Can they get leverage perhaps to make a comeback into the industry they started and take the lead once again? Would the new system be called the Atari VCS II, or would go straight to the number scheme perhaps the Atari 9600 or 12800? Perhaps it may be called the SabreTooth? It would and could be awesome!!

Haven't there been enough threads about this? Try the search function.

Ahhhh, there's never enough threads for hope!! Try chilling out with us..

No sorry....."Chillin out" is not reality really.Come on, ATARI is not the company they use to be, it is no different then the SEAGA fanboys hoping for new console hardware. there is a reason their time has come and passed. Hope is one thing, false hope is another.

• Like 1

If it did there is only one name I would use - Atari Phoenix (rising from the flames)

That's a damn good name.

Hardly original name, though. The "Commodore 64-bit Phoenix" is already using it....

http://www.commodoreusa.net/index.html

I can't believe people are still thinking it could happen. Just look how much money Microsoft lost on the original Xbox (cost of entering the market) and get your head out of the clouds and re-enter reality.

• Like 1

If it did there is only one name I would use - Atari Phoenix (rising from the flames)

That's a damn good name.

Hardly original name, though. The "Commodore 64-bit Phoenix" is already using it....

I can't believe people are still thinking it could happen. Just look how much money Microsoft lost on the original Xbox (cost of entering the market) and get your head out of the clouds and re-enter reality.

Wow...you're right, what was I thinking...thanks dude, you opened my eyes..ahh shucks, you sure are swell.

• Like 1

That's a damn good name.

A lame PC with a Commodore badge on it? What a waste of a good name :sad:

Not like it would ever happen anyway as I already said

It would never happen. Atari simply don't have the resources to compete with Sony or Microsoft.

Right, Atari don't have the resource to compete with Sony or Microsoft so... after many dangerous systems (Falcon, Lynx, Jaguar) the new console could be called "Atari Ant".

That's a damn good name.

Long time ago, this was also the codename for a Falcon-compatible project by Centek (CT1, CT2, ...)

It would never happen. Atari simply don't have the resources to compete with Sony or Microsoft.

Right, Atari don't have the resource to compete with Sony or Microsoft so... after many dangerous systems (Falcon, Lynx, Jaguar) the new console could be called "Atari Ant".

Works for me! What better way to ruin Sony's and Microsoft's picnic!

• Like 2

I would honestly like to see Atari come out with a new age "retro" system. It would be about as powerful as, say, a Super Nintendo or something along those lines. Production and development costs would be very low, and they could capitalize on the only thing people still respect Atari for: nostalgia and retro gaming.

They could open up the platform and let indie and homebrew developers make games for it, along with anyone else who wanted to take a crack at it. And Atari could release arcade-perfect ports of its best games, like Centipede, Missile Command, Pong, Defender, Tempest, etc.

It could even use carts in the same size and form factor of the 7800 and 2600 and have backwards compatibility.

The sales of the Flashback consoles and emulator handhelds like GP2X and Dingoo make it clear that there is a market for this sort of thing.

• Like 2

I would honestly like to see Atari come out with a new age "retro" system. It would be about as powerful as, say, a Super Nintendo or something along those lines. Production and development costs would be very low, and they could capitalize on the only thing people still respect Atari for: nostalgia and retro gaming.

They could open up the platform and let indie and homebrew developers make games for it, along with anyone else who wanted to take a crack at it. And Atari could release arcade-perfect ports of its best games, like Centipede, Missile Command, Pong, Defender, Tempest, etc.

It could even use carts in the same size and form factor of the 7800 and 2600 and have backwards compatibility.

The sales of the Flashback consoles and emulator handhelds like GP2X and Dingoo make it clear that there is a market for this sort of thing.

This is right on what I would love to see from Atari, nothing to compete with the big guys on their 10,000-bit systems, but something retro and FUN. Just to get the name out there, I'd even buy a transformer watch if I could, if it had Atari on it.

I say keep the Flashbacks coming, I'm very happy with mine so far. But really, a watch or maybe some sort of cassette-looking mp3 player would be cool. Ot Atari branded SD-USB readers. Whatever works, just keep the name out there, someone will see it and love it.

I think the grand nephew of the Wright Brothers should come out with a new jet airliner to compete with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. I bet using the Wright name he could easily get funding for such a project. If he had access to his granduncle's bicycle shop I'm sure he could take the lead from Boeing once again. It would and could be awesome!

:D

- KS

• Like 7

Or just make a cartridge adaptor and emulator for the Jaguar then make a Jaguar Flashback that also includes this built in with 2 cartridge ports. One for Jaguar and one for 2600/7800.

I think the grand nephew of the Wright Brothers should come out with a new jet airliner to compete with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner. I bet using the Wright name he could easily get funding for such a project. If he had access to his granduncle's bicycle shop I'm sure he could take the lead from Boeing once again. It would and could be awesome!

- KS

I always envisioned an Onion-like article where Atari announces a new "Atari 10400" that does away with those pesky multi-button controllers and goes with a unique and innovative TWO button controller. The CEO would brag about such modern annoyances like scratched discs and instead say it would utilize trusty cartridges. Colors? We have them! 64 unique colors on-screen at once! No need to buy an expensive TV when you have RF cables that work on 45% of televisions today! And the controllers can be stored in the console!

Yeah, a new console by Atari would go over as well as a horse drawn cart on today's roads.

You can dream & fantasize about Atari trying to come back into the modern age with something, but you know it wouldn't succeed in the modern world. And you know Atari would somehow screw it up. The world has changed.

- KS

One difference, Atari is still in business...but hey you are a skunk..so

With Atari being in business, it's not what it used to be. The name has been bought & sold numerous times since the glory days. They are merely a distributor/publisher of games. Dude man, ya gotta move on.

Dear Lord not again!

Have to agree with Chicky about this thread! SHEESH! The 'glory days' of Atari are over guys.....get over it.

The only truly successful console Atari ever had was the 2600. Not the 7800, 5200, Lynx or Jaguar. After the

2600, they dropped the ball and flattened it as well.

The A8's were the only successful computers they had...not the ST, Falcon, TT....whathave you.

The later have had mild success and compared to the 2600 is no success at all.

If Nolan had a pair and a brain, he'd do his homework first and probably come to the same conclusion.

Unless Atari(which does not exsist and in all truth has not exsisted since the late 70's for all

practical purposes) can come up with investors with bottomless pockets and also pull all the 80

titles they ignored for the most part for the last 40 years, you wont see anything good come from

another console. Especially if they aim to compete with Sony, Nintendo and MS bringing everyone more

of the same three beaten horse genre( fighters, racers and FPS) they'd be laughed out of the race

again.

The one thing as a long time Atari fan I would like to see is a console that played everything

from every console/computer they ever made. Don't hold yer breath too long on that.

Lets do the world a favor and forget this type of thread as they are more annoying than anything

else.

First moderator to lock this thread gets a free copy of my next release! :D

With Atari being in business, it's not what it used to be. The name has been bought & sold numerous times since the glory days. They are merely a distributor/publisher of games. Dude man, ya gotta move on.

Until they move their headquarters from France to Sunnyvale, it's hard to think of them as the same company. Maybe grandnephew was too big a stretch, they're less related than that!

To be more constructive, I do agree that there's plenty of nostalgia left to be mined. Classic game packs, portable Flashbacks, you name it... why use the Atari name if not to sell nostalgia? And I'll happily buy it up!

- KS

• Like 2

- KS

Atari is not still in business, Infogames is, and they own the name "Atari" , Big difference.

this and a new sega console :)!!!

i like the phoenix name also. Could get a headstart on a new generation or perhaps be a bargain leader?

80+ unreleased games (exclusives) at or near launch would really help also

France? I did not know that how sad :( and I'm sure the new flashback consoles are still made overseas to right?

These ideas are enticing... I can imagine a new Atari game console, that would run everything from 2600 to Jaguar, using original but improved and reduced size chips.. either having a slot that accepted all format cartridges, or using an adapter, or a USB type attachment depending on which game system the cartridge came from. Since they all use original design then all the 3rd party enhancements would work. It would also have some room for expansion in the form of writing new games for any of the platforms, that could exceed the specs of the originals and could come up with some pretty interesting new or expanded titles for this new all-encompassing console. This would be better than the current Atari Flashback, which is limited in expansion, something against the original early 80s Atari philosophy it seems.

This goes along with my other vision of an all encompassing Atari computer.. or at least expandable 8-bit computer.. but something that could flawlessly handle every system they ever released... and allow for new games that exceed specs that would only run on the new system.. for example a 2600 programmed game, but, no longer bound by storage limits.

Some kind of round-up console that can serve as a launchpad. They could be made in limited numbers to start.