IGNORED

Gaming on a macintosh 128K

I'm looking for a computer for my desk an right now I'm thinking between a Commodore 64 or the Macintosh 128K(be interesting next to a Vectrex). However I don't know that much about the Macintosh and if it isn't that great for games then it's not what I'm looking for. Also if it's good for gaming, would someone tell me some of the titles I can look at and any necessary accessories?

I'm looking for a computer for my desk an right now I'm thinking between a Commodore 64 or the Macintosh 128K(be interesting next to a Vectrex). However I don't know that much about the Macintosh and if it isn't that great for games then it's not what I'm looking for. Also if it's good for gaming, would someone tell me some of the titles I can look at and any necessary accessories?

The 128k Mac has its limits, i would go after a SE/30 at least because it is 8mhz faster and has a FPU (which is required for a few games)and has more memory (1mb standard 128mb max) plus has a HDD (40mb or 80mb) but still a B&W screen. to keep the same like form factor and have a colored screen you can look at and for the color classic or the color classic II (but they tend to fetch a bit at times).

128k http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_classic/stats/mac_128k.html

SE/30 http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_classic/stats/mac_se30.html

Color classic II http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_classic/stats/mac_colorclassic_ii.html

http://www.everymac.com use that site to learn about what you want to decide to get.

My first Mac was a SE/30 and i could not have been more happy with it (i eventually sold it). I replaced that with a Performa 475 and upgraded it (maxed out), makes allot better gaming 68k then a SE/30 but its not the same form factor.

Performa 475 http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/mac_performa/stats/mac_performa_475.html

All that i have done to my P475 is

Replaced the 25mhz 68LC040 (lacks FPU) with a full 40mhz 68040 (has FPU)

128mb stick of ram combined with the onboard 4mb totals 132mb

1mb vram

ethernet card

External LaCie SCSI CD burner

2gb HDD.

The LC 475, Performa 475, Performa 476, Quadra 605 are all the same inside but has a slightly differentlook but still in the Pizza box form factor.

Good luck in finding what you want to get. Hopefully i was helpful.

Frank

Edited by madmax2069

I looked down this road and think madmax is spot on. I decided I really wanted a Color Classic but then I looked at the prices they fetch and it's insane. The Performa or LC series will give you the same specs but in a "pizza box" form factor for much less money--you will have to buy a monitor too, but the total will still be much less than the Color Classic. I personally don't think you'll be happy with a b&w Mac for gaming; there were plenty of games, but Mac gaming got a lot better with color.

If you're choosing between the C64 and the original Mac for games, just get the C64.

I looked down this road and think madmax is spot on. I decided I really wanted a Color Classic but then I looked at the prices they fetch and it's insane. The Performa or LC series will give you the same specs but in a "pizza box" form factor for much less money--you will have to buy a monitor too, but the total will still be much less than the Color Classic. I personally don't think you'll be happy with a b&w Mac for gaming; there were plenty of games, but Mac gaming got a lot better with color.

If you're choosing between the C64 and the original Mac for games, just get the C64.

I know the C64 has better games, I was just considering the Mac for it's all in one design. I'm not sure even what games the mac can run because me typing in Mac 128K on ebay doesn't come up with anything. But if I have to buy a monitor I'm getting a C64

You won't be able to do much gaming on a 128K. If you want to stick with the B&W classics try and get a Classic, SE, SE/30 or even a Plus (although that will still limit you). The SE/30 is nice because it can run some games the others can't due to its speed, but it also makes some older games run too fast. I keep a Classic around in addition to my SE/30 for just such an occasion.

You'll also want to pick up a HD, either external or internal as it makes a world of difference.

I'm currently playing Bard's Tale on my SE/30 and loving it. It was slow as a dog on my Classic.

Tempest

There is quite a few games that will run on the old B&W Mac, more so then what some think. But granted nothing like the C64 though.

There is some gems for the B&W Mac, The B&W Mac would make a great conversation piece and would look good along side the Vectrex. But there is allot more games that wont run on the B&W Mac (because you need a Mac that has a color mode or a higher screen resolution).

Shipping will be a bit high for a B&W Mac. The only Color Classic Mac I see on ebay has a $549.99 price tag on it. sometimes you can find them in a forum trading post www.68kmla.com, www.Applefritter.com but chances are not likely. The SE/30 are also fetching a high price, $100 or above not including the shipping (which is $20 or more). There is currently no Pizzabox Macs on ebay. i would do a bit of forum hunting, and i would also hit up craigslist, Make a forum want post, because to me it looks like you are going to pay a arm and a leg for one on ebay.

Edited by madmax2069

I know the C64 has better games, I was just considering the Mac for it's all in one design.

So get an SX64. :)

I think he was aiming for the same like form factor here. not just any AIO computer. i can only imagine how much one would fetch.

Yeah I wasn't being totally serious there. :)

I know the C64 has better games, I was just considering the Mac for it's all in one design.

So get an SX64. :)

I think he was aiming for the same like form factor here. not just any AIO computer. i can only imagine how much one would fetch.

Yeah I wasn't being totally serious there. :)

Sorry i meant to put a sarcasm tag in there :)

I guess you could set the SX64 on its side lol

Edited by madmax2069

You might have some luck going to the Macintosh Garden and browsing by date. Let me know what you find, I just picked up a couple $10 SE/30s which I'd like to do something with.

Yeah i already PMed him about that site, i just didn't post about it because of what the admin/mods or others might think about abandonware sites that have older non supported licensed software to download. i didn't want to break any rules (as most forums have a rule against it). They also have more newer stuff then that ( which is why i didnt provide a link openly).

but if your offering a SE/30 you could offer it to him to see if he would buy one, that is if he hasn't already made up his mind.

You might have some luck going to the Macintosh Garden and browsing by date. Let me know what you find, I just picked up a couple $10 SE/30s which I'd like to do something with.

Yeah i already PMed him about that site, i just didn't post about it because of what the admin/mods or others might think about abandonware sites that have older non supported licensed software to download. i didn't want to break any rules (as most forums have a rule against it). They also have more newer stuff then that ( which is why i didnt provide a link openly).

but if your offering a SE/30 you could offer it to him to see if he would buy one, that is if he hasn't already made up his mind.

Cheap enough, sure I'd buy it :).

Cheap enough, sure I'd buy it :).

However I was just doing this now as I'm starting to save up for the C64 and thought of the Mac so I just wanted to get a price point on both and see if the Mac was really worth it.

I'm looking for a computer for my desk an right now I'm thinking between a Commodore 64 or the Macintosh 128K(be interesting next to a Vectrex).

Sadly, these are in the kitchen right now until my office/gameroom is finished. Still, it's an idea of what they look like next to each other.

post-20305-127569698819_thumb.jpg

I agree with what others said about an SE/30, but I haven't found any in good condition. A Mac Plus (shown in the photo) can be found for much less and can still play tons of the old B&W games.

I'm looking for a computer for my desk an right now I'm thinking between a Commodore 64 or the Macintosh 128K(be interesting next to a Vectrex).

Sadly, these are in the kitchen right now until my office/gameroom is finished. Still, it's an idea of what they look like next to each other.

I agree with what others said about an SE/30, but I haven't found any in good condition. A Mac Plus (shown in the photo) can be found for much less and can still play tons of the old B&W games.

well that solved that curiosity of mine, anyway I might get one one day I just have the question of what you SE/30 owners do for games as I can't find any on ebay. But I am getting a C64 for those who weren't clear, this thread turned out to be a lot longer then I expected.

well that solved that curiosity of mine, anyway I might get one one day I just have the question of what you SE/30 owners do for games as I can't find any on ebay. But I am getting a C64 for those who weren't clear, this thread turned out to be a lot longer then I expected.

unfortunately they can be rather hard to get a hold of. that's why Hatta gave a link and i PMed you a link. that is really the only other way when you cant find any on ebay, again rather hard to come by. that's why MG is around (the MG site isn't what it use to be) it use to only have old Mac Games, but that version of the site is long gone.

but I haven't found any in good condition.

You can correct the yellowing case issue with Retrobright http://retr0bright.wikispaces.com/Retr0Bright+Gel

it works rather well with yellowed cases, but wont fix a beat down case.

Edited by madmax2069