IGNORED

Embossed Atari Logo on Heavy Six + bonus story

shadowdoggie

I'm sure this is nothing but thought I'd share it anyway. Got this heavy sixer in recently and it has a metal embossed logo on the front. I've tried to get the thing off to see if there was an error underneath, but the thing doesn't want to budge. I'm sure it's nothing special and was likely put there by a previous owner, but thought I'd share it anyway. Anyone ever seen this before?

And, since that's a little boring, I'll couple that with a story about why it pays to collect Atari. Recently, I won an auction for boxed paddle controllers. When it arrived, I looked inside the box and found a nice pair of paddles, the original paperwork, and a greeting card. On the outside of the card it said "Grandpa". The envelope had been opened at the top, not torn, but possibly opened with a letter opener. So, at the risk of violating someone's privacy, I looked inside and found a Christmas card. On the inside was written "Grandpa, This is a gift for you to pick out your next game or whatever. From The little kids and us big kids". Wait for it....

Yes, there was cash inside. Thirty dollars to be exact. The $20 was a 1974 series, and the two fives were 1977 series. I realize these bills may have circulated for many years after 1974/77, but I'd venture to guess that these were probably given as a gift in the late 70's to someone's grandfather, who never had a chance to buy his Atari game (or whatever).

I wrote to the seller, described the card and asked if they were the originally owners of the controllers. They wrote back and were surprised there was a card inside, but assured me that this was not their card and that they were not the original owners. Believe it or not, I was fully prepared to send back the card and the money. It still feels strange to have someone else's gift, but just telling this story to others makes me feel a little better. Anyway, cheers to grandpa the Atari gamer who likely isn't with us any longer.

post-5770-127566220592_thumb.jpg

I'm sure this is nothing but thought I'd share it anyway. Got this heavy sixer in recently and it has a metal embossed logo on the front. I've tried to get the thing off to see if there was an error underneath, but the thing doesn't want to budge. I'm sure it's nothing special and was likely put there by a previous owner, but thought I'd share it anyway. Anyone ever seen this before?

And, since that's a little boring, I'll couple that with a story about why it pays to collect Atari. Recently, I won an auction for boxed paddle controllers. When it arrived, I looked inside the box and found a nice pair of paddles, the original paperwork, and a greeting card. On the outside of the card it said "Grandpa". The envelope had been opened at the top, not torn, but possibly opened with a letter opener. So, at the risk of violating someone's privacy, I looked inside and found a Christmas card. On the inside was written "Grandpa, This is a gift for you to pick out your next game or whatever. From The little kids and us big kids". Wait for it....

Yes, there was cash inside. Thirty dollars to be exact. The $20 was a 1974 series, and the two fives were 1977 series. I realize these bills may have circulated for many years after 1974/77, but I'd venture to guess that these were probably given as a gift in the late 70's to someone's grandfather, who never had a chance to buy his Atari game (or whatever).

I wrote to the seller, described the card and asked if they were the originally owners of the controllers. They wrote back and were surprised there was a card inside, but assured me that this was not their card and that they were not the original owners. Believe it or not, I was fully prepared to send back the card and the money. It still feels strange to have someone else's gift, but just telling this story to others makes me feel a little better. Anyway, cheers to grandpa the Atari gamer who likely isn't with us any longer.

I've got a bunch of those Atari stickers/badges here. Not sure what they were used originally used for, but definitely not original equipment for your heavy 6er.

Well, since grandpa didn't use the money, you might as well do so! I really do know how that sort of thing can happen. You don't take the money out cause you don't want to spend it tight away or because you have a special purpose in mind and you forget about it. This reminds me that I have a card sitting on my dresser with 40 bucks in it. Heh.

I've got a bunch of those Atari stickers/badges here. Not sure what they were used originally used for, but definitely not original equipment for your heavy 6er.

They were used on Atari home computer equipment around the time of the 800 and 400 days. Google "Atari 800" for images, and you will see one to the left on the cartridge cover. I think the myatari website still sell them as stand-a-lone items.

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Fri Jun 4, 2010 9:44 AM' timestamp='1275666250' post='2025590]

They were used on Atari home computer equipment around the time of the 800 and 400 days. Google "Atari 800" for images, and you will see one to the left on the cartridge cover. I think the myatari website still sell them as stand-a-lone items.

Yep, I've got one on my Amdek Color-1 monitor where I stuck it in 1986. I wonder if one day it will be seen as a rare Atari-issued Amdek Monitor...

I actually also have an Amdek Color-1 monitor with an Atari property sticker, but it's pretty worn out. One day I'll recap it and see if I can get a decent image again....