IGNORED

Best Prince of Persia

I have never been able to do very well with Prince of Persia. Never. The controls are a little weird and the time limit always psyches me out. Furthermore it is always hard for me to figure out what to do and where to go. And yet, I feel obligated as a video game dork to complete this game at some point. The PC is off limits to me, but I have the NES, SNES, Genesis and Gameboy. Is there a system that this game really shines on above all others? From what I understand the game is pretty much the same across the board, but who knows, maybe there is one version that is far superior.

That is where you come in muchachos. As a complete rookie and one who has been daunted by this game in the past, which version should I select to make my first go at completion?

:?

I've only played a little of Prince of Persia, but I remember that Retro Gaming Radio did a side-by-side comparison some years ago of just about every version of Prince of Persia that was released. The Genesis version got the nod as being the best overall, with the Amiga version a close second because of its lush music and graphics.

I've only played the old DOS version and the Sega Genesis version and they are both great. I even finished the Sega version a looong time ago. icon_mrgreen.gif

Why is the PC version off limits? As I remember, since it was written with a keyboard in mind, it actually controlled pretty well.

The SNES version, by far. It is the most complete version, with original stages being expanded, extra levels added, an excellent soundtrack, etc. I don't personally see how the Genny version was rated the best--Its battle system is broken in a bad, bad way.

As far as being intimidated by the game, remember that it's a title that requires a lot of trial and error. Practice, practice, practice! :)

Hmmm..I may have to pick up the SNES version, but I like that the Sega version is pretty much just like the PC game except for the graphics. I'm not sure what you mean by broken battle system, again it seems pretty much just like the PC version, but it's been 20 years since I played it. I don't remember the PC version being all the responsive in the sword fights either, so it feels right to me!

PC is off limits because I pretty much cannot stand playing action games on a PC, even if they are made for just that very purpose. Its a mental thing.

Seems like everyone has their own favorite, but maybe the Genny and the SNES are where the game really shines (sorry kids, don't have an Amiga...)

Keep the advice coming!

Thanks

:spidey:

Hmmm..I may have to pick up the SNES version, but I like that the Sega version is pretty much just like the PC game except for the graphics. I'm not sure what you mean by broken battle system, again it seems pretty much just like the PC version, but it's been 20 years since I played it. I don't remember the PC version being all the responsive in the sword fights either, so it feels right to me!

In the Genesis version, when you try to block an attack, you can't retaliate--you just end up getting knocked back. This is bad on multiple levels, but especially so when you are battling next to a ledge. In this case (which is often), it's either 1) Don't block and get hit, or 2) Block and get knocked back, falling of a ledge to your death. In every other version of the game, you can immediately counter-attack after you block and you don't get pushed back. This puts you in control of the battles and turns them into a matter of skill. Unfortunately in the Genesis version, it's a matter of luck.. Every time you get to an enemy, you toss the dice on the table and hope the odds are in your favor.. Really ruins the game, IMO. It's too bad, because the graphics, controls and sound are all spot-on. Had they not nerfed the battle system, this would be up there towards the top.. Konami did an amazing job on adding loads of new content in the SNES version though, so I'd probably still place that one on the top even if the Genny version wasn't broken--It's by far the most "complete" version of an already excellent game! :)

On another note, for anyone that hasn't played the game much and is intimidated by the time limit, keep in mind that (I believe in most if not all versions), you don't get a game over when it runs out. I'll let you figure out the rest! ;)

Edited by Austin

The SEGA CD version looks different from the Genesis version. How is the Sega CD version?

It's a good port.. It's not as pretty as the Genesis version, but the gameplay is identical to the computer versions, how it's supposed to be. It also has some cutscenes (Early PC Engine CD style) and has a new CD soundtrack that fits pretty well. It feels sluggish at first, but with some fiddling around you realize you can adjust the gameplay speed to fit your preference (I preferred it slightly sped up over the default, as it made the animations smoother and the gameplay quicker).

Edited by Austin