IGNORED

So, Atariage, what is your favorite "classic" OS?

• 1 month later...

AmigaOS for me as well..

There are things I like about other GUIs and things I like about other CLIs..

But I found AmigaOS, for me, had the right balance of both...

I suppose that's why I like Linux so much nowadays...

And, as a Linux Admin, I get to spend all day (and night)..... fixing Windows servers.. :-)

I have been getting back into Amiga's recently and I really am impressed with the AmigaOS still...

It just feels fast, responsive and intuitive (that's AmigaOS 3 on my A1200. 1.3 was less intuitive ;) )...

I also loved programming on the Amiga... Intuition just seemed a pretty easy way to handle menus/screens/windows...

I mean, if I could do it, it had to be easy. ;-)

desiv

Edited by desiv

Another vote for AmigaDOS/Amiga OS here. It was quite usable whether you never looked past the mouse pointer, or preferred the command line as your primary interface.

MorphOS is pretty nice too, but that's just a much more recent variant.

Edited by Feralstorm

In time periods, here:

80's: BASIC and MS-DOS 6.22

90's: Windows 98

00's: XP

10's: Windows 7

20's: Computers have become obsolete, as the human race has evolved into computers themselves. Upgradable at will.

A DOS/Windows guy, huh? :-) Fair enough...

Although, MSDOS 5 came out in 1991 and MSDOS 6.22 in 1994...

In the 80's you would be using MSDOS through 4.

I think MSDOS 3.3 was my favorite of those... In fact, I think I used DOS 3.3 well into the 90s. :-)

Will be nice to see your 20's, as most of the humans I know are far from upgradable. ;-)

desiv

Edited by desiv

Re: Real multi-tasking.

Yep. The non-preemptive stuff was always kind of a curio for me. It would work, until it didn't, unless the environment was a controlled one, like serial terminals, or something like that. Mixing graphics into the mix just begs for trouble. Unix machines all had real multi-tasking, and were multi-user as well. PC machines were not multi-tasking until they got some OS support. OS2, and later NT were the first "real" operating systems for the PC that were not just toys in the multi-tasking department.

Novell DOS 7 (DR DOS) also had real pre-emptive multitasking in 1993, but by that time Microsoft had pretty much sewn up the market.

On classic computers, I think FLEX / OS9 on Color Computer is quite powerful for it's time. For computing, not gaming, it packs a nice punch, and is just kind of fun to see the upper end of 8 bits pushed like that. Never did get deeper into Amiga / ST machines. One of these days, I'll probably do it, just because the older, smaller environments are just kind of fun.

I liked OS9. Good OS for the time. Others that deserve a mention are NEXTstep, BeOS, and AmigaOS.

A DOS/Windows guy, huh? :-) Fair enough...

Although, MSDOS 5 came out in 1991 and MSDOS 6.22 in 1994...

In the 80's you would be using MSDOS through 4.

desiv

Whoopsies, too late to change that post now though, ah well, you know what I mean, I meant DOS in general, all of them are good :P

20's: Computers have become obsolete, as the human race has evolved into computers themselves. Upgradable at will.

nooooooooooooo!

I dont wanna be a computer...icon_frown.gif

You must be, as the transformation has already started for me :jango:

We will all evolve into Boba and Jango fett looking robots.

The males will be Green/Blue while the females will be Pink/Red or Purple/Red.

Then our brains will develop ports for memory and ram, the athletes have more ram while the scientists have more memory. You can choose your fate as you want, as each job has its minimum, recommended, and maximum requirements.

Also, we still have the reproduction process through USB ports.

Our growth process is as so:

USB Drive. Baby. (0-1)

Hard Drive. Toddler (2-5)

Calculator (10$ walmart calculator) Kid (6-12)

Calculator. (TI-84) Teen (13-18)

Laptop. Young Adult. (18-21)

Jango/Boba fett looking androids (22-death)

Our lifespan will be 200 years, and also, we can pause and resume our robot growth to help the population stop inflating.

I have explained our future to you.

Your welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

MS-DOS 6.22. I still love using my DOS machine. I don't know what it is, but I love the structure. The only downside of course is the lack of mutitasking. I've always wanted to try and use my DOS machine for more practical things than just playing games (e-mail, article writing, etc.) but have never really gotten around to setting it up. I have a network card for it but have never installed it. Right now it's just basically yet another game console, although I do also play around with my sound card. Ultrasound, baby!

Chris

Nostalgia based, I would have to say Windows 95. Seeing those blue clouds and hearing the PC speaker sounding like a mechanical cricket gives me goosebumps almost every time.

Also, PalmOS back in day (my mom had a Palm for as long as I can remember) was so... cool.

However, my vote is on AmigaOS :D .

CP/M FTW!

AmigaOS and TOS will always hold special places in my heart as well. DOS can suck it, why anyone thought it was superior to AOS or TOS (or anything else out there) is way beyond me.

i by no means think it was superior, i just say it was the most common. workbench was great even if a bit awkward if you're new to it. i wish linux was around back then, that came out in the 90's and back then it was useless as a desktop system, but now a days it's great

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

BeOS is rather good.

<3 me some BeOS. I once had a quad-boot machine in '99:

Win 2k, Caldera Linux, FreeBSD and BeOS. All on a 20Gig hard drive. Used BeOS the most, it was crazy having 8 separate video files playing at once on one screen on a celeron 533 with 256M of RAM.

BeOS = the stuff. I hope Haiku gets off the ground, I'd love modern BeOS action!