IGNORED

eBay is almost pointless now.

eBay "Buy it now"  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Has "Buy It Now" Ruined eBay

• Yes. Greedy Sellers have ruined the experience for all.
    • No. People should be able to charge what they want - even if it is too much!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I guess a lot of the complaint comes from the fact that most of us are used to buying items that we know are very rare for very cheap. It sucks to have to pay what something's worth. It sucks when things you want become worth more than they "should". I'm into a local punk band that's been around for fifteen or so years now (i have a tattoo of their logo). Their 7"s go for 30+ dollars. That's four-six songs on a small record, if you're not up on that, and that's pretty excessive. It's also somewhat ironic coming from a band that's 'not about money' and whatnot. They reissued some of them to try and manage the values, but the old ones are still worth more money. People want them, so they're worth money, and there's nothing that can be done about it.

I sure hate seeing an ebay printout next to something in a store. They don't GET IT that just because someone asks for a given price, that doesn't mean that they will actually Sell it for that price. Even if they DO sell it for that price, it doesn't mean that the item will often sell at that price.

The main problem is one way feed back and stupid lying buyers. The new ebay approach is what has caused both a decline in items avaialable as sellers turn away from ebay and the great decline in ebays overall numbers. Ebay wants to be "Amazon" what stupid ebay has not figured out is that the are only a venuse and als o do not own the inventory. Wasting time and money becoming referee in a one side game also has led to increased cost and a further decline. We now mostly sell direct and ebay will be done for us probably by years end. EBAY the only place where a grade of 99% equals and "F".

Hopefully someone will put some money into something like the old ebay after ebay dies.

The star system was also a stupid idea. We stopped selling to Canada as we would get low star ratings though it is disclosed in the auction that Canada is significantly more, A subjective opinion from a buyer being allowed to have not so significant results.

11 years on ebay

• Like 1

eBay has ruined eBay: with their current auction fee model, I'm losing almost 10% on each sale. Granted, it maxes out at $50, but $50 is $50. If they hadn't jacked up their fees I doubt people would have jacked up their prices as much.

And if members hadn't been taking advantage of things with scams, like inflated shipping (fee avoidance), side deals, shill bedding etc etc etc...ebay wouldn't have jacked their fees so much.

And if Buyers had not been so dishonest, and expected free shipping(with ebay as the buyers partner in crime) or items sold at a loss more items would be available. Hurry up and die ebay so something better can replace you.

• Like 1

Anyone tried ebid?

www.ebid.net

It's been around for a while and their listing fees are non-existant... I have used it a couple of time but there are not a lot of listings I'm interested in.

Have any ebay sellers reading this had a look at ebid?

• Like 1

Anyone tried ebid?

www.ebid.net

It's been around for a while and their listing fees are non-existant... I have used it a couple of time but there are not a lot of listings I'm interested in.

Have any ebay sellers reading this had a look at ebid?

I've seen the "adds" for Ebid, always kind of dodgily sent to my email under one of my "friends" names. I've always assumed it was either A ) Spam, or B ) a virus, and simply deleted it.

Interesting if it's a real thing, but Ebay has such a huge base, not much else can compete, to many 'small frys' try to pop up, and just end up confusing customers who just go back to the known evil of Ebay.

I may check it out, I used to do Yahoo's auction back when Ebay was still free, I really got into Ebay, because it simply had a larger user bass. I could go and post stuff, and likely get a better price (or at least sell mycrap) or I could go and actually have a chance of finding what I'm looking for.

That's gong to keep Ebay around for a long time.

Sadly, I must agree. Sellers on or offline can charge what they want, and if the market will bear it, all we can do is cry all the way to the ATM.

I actually use Ebay more to see if some things exist than to actually purchase them, and get a rough idea of value (based on completed sales, not asking prices). Then, I know when I'm at a flea market, and someone wants 20 bucks for a CIB chrono triggger, that it's actually a good deal even if it's twenty bucks.

I love me some ROM: spaceknight. Ebay told me that he was out of my price range for the figure. Since there were only a few of him, and only boxed, I'm still hopeful that his immobile glory will someday be mine. I also own and want to sell a rare book by R. Crumb, "The Sad Book", published by american greetings. Also have zap comix #1, 2, 4, etc, etc. There's only one copy on ebay, or was, and the seller wanted 400. It sat for a long time and is gone now, I didn't manage to catch if it actually sold for that. High rarity, but low demand it seems. I was thinking of putting it on for 200, and taking that happily if it would sell (I paid 25 cents!). I have a rare beatles 45 that I'm thinking of dumping too, but that I actually care about, unlike the underground comix stuff. Hopefully a Crumb movie will come out or something and raise my value! hah.

Sadly, I must agree. Sellers on or offline can charge what they want, and if the market will bear it, all we can do is cry all the way to the ATM.

I actually use Ebay more to see if some things exist than to actually purchase them, and get a rough idea of value (based on completed sales, not asking prices). Then, I know when I'm at a flea market, and someone wants 20 bucks for a CIB chrono triggger, that it's actually a good deal even if it's twenty bucks.

I love me some ROM: spaceknight. Ebay told me that he was out of my price range for the figure. Since there were only a few of him, and only boxed, I'm still hopeful that his immobile glory will someday be mine. I also own and want to sell a rare book by R. Crumb, "The Sad Book", published by american greetings. Also have zap comix #1, 2, 4, etc, etc. There's only one copy on ebay, or was, and the seller wanted 400. It sat for a long time and is gone now, I didn't manage to catch if it actually sold for that. High rarity, but low demand it seems. I was thinking of putting it on for 200, and taking that happily if it would sell (I paid 25 cents!). I have a rare beatles 45 that I'm thinking of dumping too, but that I actually care about, unlike the underground comix stuff. Hopefully a Crumb movie will come out or something and raise my value! hah.

crumbmovieBG.jpg

To late, it came out 15 years ago. :P If you haven't seen it, it is one of the best Documentaries of all time. Turns out he is the most normal , out of his family. :D

Some of my best eBay buys come off Buy-it-now. I sort my search by Buy-it-now, then most recently listed and find the ones someone listed too low, voila, a deal. As a seller, I only use when it is a common item, giving someone the opportunity to, well, buy it now. This only works for me when I know about what it will sell for in the first place. Morgan

Some of my best eBay buys come off Buy-it-now. I sort my search by Buy-it-now, then most recently listed and find the ones someone listed too low, voila, a deal. As a seller, I only use when it is a common item, giving someone the opportunity to, well, buy it now. This only works for me when I know about what it will sell for in the first place. Morgan

I have to agree, the best buys, I have ever had are from BINS. :)

So I use ebay to buy an Atari 2600 Grand Prix made by Activision with the white race track. I probably already have one but this was like $3 shipped....

A couple days go by and I get the box marked on My Ebay page showing it had been shipped.

Thats nice, but where is my F'in positive feedback for being a great buyer on ebay?

I don't get it....

I figure he is one of those ebayers that wait til the buyer leaves good feedback before they leave good feedback..so I pm him asking about the feedback situation...he has over 1000 rating and Im still fairly new with my 50 rating...

This is his response:

Hello,

Here is your feedback sir,

I cannot exchange positive feedback for feedback because ebay only lets us leave a positive no matter what happens to us. I am not one of those sellers as you can see in my feedback.

I got my positive feedback, but seriously, what does "I cannot exchange positive feedback for feedback mean?"

Thanks

and I can't wait to get my new atari game, but it will probably be jacked up now...

I got my positive feedback, but seriously, what does "I cannot exchange positive feedback for feedback mean?"

Thanks

and I can't wait to get my new atari game, but it will probably be jacked up now...

At first glance, it sounds like he's one of those sellers that plays games with feedback and waits until you go first, but from the fact he did do the right thing (apparently only because you had to ask) maybe he means something else...

I figure what it is is the seller is saying he can't change the status of a feedback (ebay did that a long time ago though) like if he left a good one, and you left a bad one he couldn't change it.

You do all of course realize that the increase in BIN's on ebay is the result of the listing fee being only 5¢ since last October? :ponder:

Yep, and it's like .35 cents or something (last I bothered selling) just to list an item (sold or not) though the standard auction. (and more if you go over 99 cents as a starting price)

I prefer BIN. If I want to buy something I just want to buy it. I don't want to decide to buy it, then wait and worry if I'll get it, and get outbid and then have to decide to buy it again, then wait and worry again, etc. etc.

Mostly I stick to craigslist. But then you run into people who don't even bother listing a price, they want offers. To me that says "I have no idea what this is worth", so you're getting lowballed. If you have an idea of what you want, ask for it.

I keep looking at GameGavel. But there's not a whole lot of sellers there, so I haven't found anything I've wanted just yet.

Thanks

At first glance, it sounds like he's one of those sellers that plays games with feedback and waits until you go first, but from the fact he did do the right thing (apparently only because you had to ask) maybe he means something else...

I usually don't give feedback instantly, but after a few weeks I catch them all up. The really is no point in delaying, though, as a seller. The buyers have all the power. I am back up to 5 out of 5 on shipping price, but for a while I had some dings on that one, which was frustrating because I make a really good effort to find the cheapest way to ship for my customers. It makes sense to find the cheapest way for them, because it leaves them more money to bid on the item, and working profit into the shipping charge is not an option for me morally. Morgan

Hi guys,

I feel that the "Buy it Now" is a great option to have on ebay. Sometimes I don't want to wait 9 days for a auction to end, or a item that is only available at the moment and need it quick. The buy it now feature is in my opinion a fantastic idea for frantic bidders and sniper bidder avoiders.

Anthony...

At first glance, it sounds like he's one of those sellers that plays games with feedback and waits until you go first....

I always felt that the buyer should give feed back first. I always thought this even before I ever sold anything on eBay (and I practice what I preach). The best way for a seller to know if the buyer is happy and the deal is complete from the buyers end is with a feedback. This idea that the seller should just give his feedback as soon as he is paid is crazy. The transaction isn't even completed yet. If the buyer gets the item and then asks a bunch of questions about the item once he gets it or if the buyer has a problem with the item and needs to return it, the seller is still dealing with the transaction. The feedback is meant for the entire transaction process, not just, the seller is paid where's my feedback.

FYI, Sellers can not leave "neutral" or "negative" feedback (another one of those great eBay changes to help sellers out!! :roll: ). The only option sellers have is "positive" or no feedback. So buyers can crap all over sellers all they want. Thanks eBay!!!

Don't even get me started on the whole "No digital download products" that they decide was a great idea after trying to get sellers to do this idea. And because of this great change, I lost about $2000 and my business that was only 3 month old after changing their policy on digital downloads. And yes I owned and still own the rights to the products I sold. Thanks eBay, your the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x

Edited by pboland

At first glance, it sounds like he's one of those sellers that plays games with feedback and waits until you go first....

I always felt that the buyer should give feed back first. I always thought this even before I ever sold anything on eBay (and I practice what I preach). The best way for a seller to know if the buyer is happy and the deal is complete from the buyers end is with a feedback. This idea that the seller should just give his feedback as soon as he is paid is crazy. The transaction isn't even completed yet. If the buyer gets the item and then asks a bunch of questions about the item once he gets it or if the buyer has a problem with the item and needs to return it, the seller is still dealing with the transaction. The feedback is meant for the entire transaction process, not just, the seller is paid where's my feedback.

Well, that's certainly your opinion and you're entitled to it. I find it completely rude that a seller doesn't thank their customers for their business, which is when the auction has ended and the seller gets paid.

It's like going to a store, buying something, and having the owner look at you and say "what? You want a medal? I'm not thanking you. not until you thank ME for the AWESOME privilege of buying my stuff, and supporting me and helping pay my bills.

When I have sold, I always gave my buyers feedback immediately. I didn't play games.

Really, the way you withhold feedback is exactly why Ebay fixed the feedback system. I'd like to see sellers get docked 10% for playing games with feedback. But that's me.

FYI, Sellers can not leave "neutral" or "negative" feedback (another one of those great eBay changes to help sellers out!! :roll: ). The only option sellers have is "positive" or no feedback. So buyers can crap all over sellers all they want. Thanks eBay!!!

Don't even get me started on the whole "No digital download products" that they decide was a great idea after trying to get sellers to do this idea. And because of this great change, I lost about $2000 and my business that was only 3 month old after changing their policy on digital downloads. And yes I owned and still own the rights to the products I sold. Thanks eBay, your the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x

I can't wrap my mind around what you are saying. The buyer pays for an item and has to thank the seller for buying his item? Nope, screw that. I pay you and you thank me, thats how it works. And that is the way business is done. I hate E-Bay with all my heart, but the change that sellers can't give there Bullshit retalitory F.B. is a plus.

Edited by ericwierson