IGNORED

eBay is almost pointless now.

eBay "Buy it now"  

76 members have voted

1. 1. Has "Buy It Now" Ruined eBay

• Yes. Greedy Sellers have ruined the experience for all.
    • No. People should be able to charge what they want - even if it is too much!

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

At first glance, it sounds like he's one of those sellers that plays games with feedback and waits until you go first....

I always felt that the buyer should give feed back first. I always thought this even before I ever sold anything on eBay (and I practice what I preach). The best way for a seller to know if the buyer is happy and the deal is complete from the buyers end is with a feedback. This idea that the seller should just give his feedback as soon as he is paid is crazy. The transaction isn't even completed yet. If the buyer gets the item and then asks a bunch of questions about the item once he gets it or if the buyer has a problem with the item and needs to return it, the seller is still dealing with the transaction. The feedback is meant for the entire transaction process, not just, the seller is paid where's my feedback.

FYI, Sellers can not leave "neutral" or "negative" feedback (another one of those great eBay changes to help sellers out!! :roll: ). The only option sellers have is "positive" or no feedback. So buyers can crap all over sellers all they want. Thanks eBay!!!

Don't even get me started on the whole "No digital download products" that they decide was a great idea after trying to get sellers to do this idea. And because of this great change, I lost about $2000 and my business that was only 3 month old after changing their policy on digital downloads. And yes I owned and still own the rights to the products I sold. Thanks eBay, your the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x

I can't wrap my mind around what you are saying. The buyer pays for an item and has to thank the seller for buying his item? Nope, screw that. I pay you and you thank me, thats how it works. And that is the way business is done. I hate E-Bay with all my heart, but the change that sellers can't give there Bullshit retalitory F.B. is a plus.

I always thank my buyers once they pay and I always ask if there is anything else I can do for them. Your comments prove the point that people have forgotten what feedback is for. It is for the entire transaction process. Not just the seller got paid. I have only given one negative feedback out of about 1000+ feedback I have ever left to a buyer and I have never held a feedback over someone head as a threat. (I never ask for feedback, that is just rude). I have gotten many praises about how I handle a sale. You act as if I'm am some kind of shyster. FEEDBACK IS FOR THE AUCTION PROCESS NOT JUST THE SELLER GOT PAID. It always has been that way.

Back in 1997 their old system worked great and I was just a buyer back then. I didn't become a seller until 2004. Never had a problem until eBay started changing their rules. Now too many buyer and sellers are being jerks and trying to manipulate the system.

I'm curious, if you are selling something to someone, don't you want to know if the buyer is happy with his purchase and that there is no problem before you praise to your friends how great of a buyer he was?

• Like 1

I always thank my buyers once they pay and I always ask if there is anything else I can do for them.

I also! Why play hostage with feedback? If you've done your part of the transaction and everything's okay, post some honest feedback right away.

I always thank my buyers once they pay and I always ask if there is anything else I can do for them.

I also! Why play hostage with feedback? If you've done your part of the transaction and everything's okay, post some honest feedback right away.

Here's another great seller strategy.... "Satisfaction Guaranteed: If you are not satisfied with your item for any reason, simply let me know and I will have you ship the item back to me, and upon reciept, I will refund your bid amount and original shipping charge." I have sold probably 300 items on eBay and have had two things come back the whole time. Several others were apparently satisfied that they could get their money back - they weren't happy with the item, I said send it back and I will refund the money and they never sent but gave positive feedback. Some of the things you think might happen (they will get the item and send me back their broken one...) never really happen and I seem to consistently get higher prices for like items. Morgan

But the seller's part of the transaction is not done until the customer is happy. If he tells me he is happy or leaves me feedback, I will leave feedback in return. It's that simple. For instants, if 30 days goes by and I have not gotten a feedback or a message telling me he is happy with the purchase, I than email him and make sure everything is Okay. I don't play hostage with feedback. I don't say hey, leave me feedback or I won't give you any. I never say anything about feedback. I think asking or telling people to leave feedback is rude. The feedback system was never meant to be used in that manner.

There use to be a time when feedback was left for extra special or horrible transactions only. Somewhere along the line ebayer's (sellers & buyers) started demanding feedback be mandatory for the most mundane of transactions.

So, next time I go to Walmart and buy a tube of toothpaste (or some other mundane product) and pay for it, Walmart better give me some special positive feedback over the intercom (or a big sticker stating I'm a great buyer) or they are just holding my rightfully deserved feedback hostage.

I'm also wondering when no feedback became as bad as negative feedback? That's new one... :roll:

"Oh no, I didn't get any feedback from that buyer/seller!!!!! He must be holding it hostage! Damn him to helllllllllllll."

Edited by pboland

But the seller's part of the transaction is not done until the customer is happy. If he tells me he is happy or leaves me feedback, I will leave feedback in return. It's that simple. For instants, if 30 days goes by and I have not gotten a feedback or a message telling me he is happy with the purchase, I than email him and make sure everything is Okay. I don't play hostage with feedback. I don't say hey, leave me feedback or I won't give you any. I never say anything about feedback. I think asking or telling people to leave feedback is rude. The feedback system was never meant to be used in that manner.

There use to be a time when feedback was left for extra special or horrible transactions only. Somewhere along the line ebayer's (sellers & buyers) started demanding feedback be mandatory for the most mundane of transactions.

So, next time I go to Walmart and buy a tube of toothpaste (or some other mundane product) and pay for it, Walmart better give me some special positive feedback over the intercom (or a big sticker stating I'm a great buyer) or they are just holding my rightfully deserved feedback hostage.

I'm also wondering when no feedback became as bad as negative feedback? That's new one... :roll:

Oh no, I didn't get any feedback from that buyer/seller!!!!! He must be holding it hostage! Damn him to helllllllllllll.

You can spin it however you want. In my opinion the seller should leave + F.B. after receiving payment. Thats it I'm done with this subject.

• Like 1

I dunno - I've been eBaying since about 1999 or so, and I've always found that both buyers and sellers will write and ask "Where's my feedback." It's not a new phenomena.

I actually like the 'Buy It Now' feature. Sometimes I can't stand having to wait 4-5 days til the auction ends. Plus I've found alot of good deals from that.

I agree with an early post saying Ebay's all about patience because it is. I always doublecheck and make sure the seller's feedback is good before buying. Some sellers out there can't be trusted. The more patient and cool the seller is, the more pleasant the buying experience is to me.

• Like 1

Oh no, I didn't get any feedback from that buyer/seller!!!!! He must be holding it hostage! Damn him to helllllllllllll.

You can spin it however you want. In my opinion the seller should leave + F.B. after receiving payment. Thats it I'm done with this subject.

:thumbsup:

It's sellers like this who, in one sentence say they don't leave feedback until they get it first then say they don't play hostage with the feedback in another that are why ebay did what they did with the feedback system. The only way they could make it even better is to somehow track a sellers' habits of playing these games and which ones don't. I hate having to sift through a sellers' feedback habits before buying something from them. When I see one who does this I typically move on.

• Like 2

Don't know if its been mentioned but one thing that's really been grinding my gears lately (gotta stop watching so much Family Guy) is the generic pictures. I've been looking for PS1 games lately and it seems about 95% of them use stock photos and I refuse to buy anything if I can't see an actual picture of the item. It's very frustrating.

Don't know if its been mentioned but one thing that's really been grinding my gears lately (gotta stop watching so much Family Guy) is the generic pictures. I've been looking for PS1 games lately and it seems about 95% of them use stock photos and I refuse to buy anything if I can't see an actual picture of the item. It's very frustrating.

Yeah, especially when the stock pic they choose is of an unusual item -- I've seen a bunch of people use the pic for the Starpath Frogger for sales of the regular one, or pics of Atari Corp carts when they're selling the regular ones.

Yeah, especially when the stock pic they choose is of an unusual item -- I've seen a bunch of people use the pic for the Starpath Frogger for sales of the regular one, or pics of Atari Corp carts when they're selling the regular ones.

That is eBay rule #1 - pictures sell! right now, up to 12 pictures are free, so I am trying to add more pictures.

eBay rule #2 - the more flaws you detail about the item, the more comfortable the buyer is. Kind of weird, but if I mention every bump, bruise and scratch, I seem to get a better price than the guy who says "good condition".

eBay rule #3 - Money Back guarantee - but you have to mean it.

eBay rule #4 - find the cheapest way to ship it - buy a scale and check the weight with the box and packing before you list so you dont screw yourself and never add profit into the shipping (although sometimes I will see that a package will be between, say $5.23 and $7.55 depending on location, and I will just make it a flat $6.50)

eBay rule #5 - start your auction at a time that will be a good ending time for all four time zones. Since everyone wants to bid at the end, this will up you chances of people being awake and at their computer at the end. Morgan

That is eBay rule #1 - pictures sell! right now, up to 12 pictures are free, so I am trying to add more pictures.

eBay rule #2 - the more flaws you detail about the item, the more comfortable the buyer is. Kind of weird, but if I mention every bump, bruise and scratch, I seem to get a better price than the guy who says "good condition".

eBay rule #3 - Money Back guarantee - but you have to mean it.

eBay rule #4 - find the cheapest way to ship it - buy a scale and check the weight with the box and packing before you list so you dont screw yourself and never add profit into the shipping (although sometimes I will see that a package will be between, say $5.23 and $7.55 depending on location, and I will just make it a flat $6.50)

eBay rule #5 - start your auction at a time that will be a good ending time for all four time zones. Since everyone wants to bid at the end, this will up you chances of people being awake and at their computer at the end. Morgan

For an individual at home those are fine. However and as is item is an as is item. Too detailed of a description mostly puts buyers off (unless it's a collectible item).

There is cost for materials for shipping and cost of an employee to pack it. so if ship is say $6 and meteriels (medium sized 6 lbs box) are $5 then $14 is about right.

#5 is essential and correct.

#3 Like ebay even gives you a choice, heck the buyer can steal items from inside what you sell or switch the board and even if you can prove it.. ebay does not care. silly buyer protection will refund them anyway. (where the heck is my seller protection?) They will be gone soon if they do not go back to the old way of just being a venue.

Ebay's business model is to have no sellers and therefore no problems. all fixed! ;)

For an individual at home those are fine. However and as is item is an as is item. Too detailed of a description mostly puts buyers off (unless it's a collectible item).

There is cost for materials for shipping and cost of an employee to pack it. so if ship is say $6 and meteriels (medium sized 6 lbs box) are $5 then $14 is about right.

#5 is essential and correct.

#3 Like ebay even gives you a choice, heck the buyer can steal items from inside what you sell or switch the board and even if you can prove it.. ebay does not care. silly buyer protection will refund them anyway. (where the heck is my seller protection?) They will be gone soon if they do not go back to the old way of just being a venue.

Ebay's business model is to have no sellers and therefore no problems. all fixed! ;)

Those are two reasons why I prefer the average joe over a big full time seller - cheaper shipping because there's no "overhead" such as employees and you have a better chance of getting a more accurate description (with real pictures) because they aren't trying to list and ship hundreds of items a week.

And I disagree that "as is" is "as is". That's an eye of the beholder issue but the real question is what is "acceptable" for "as is" which is different for each person, which is why I like detailed pictures over stock photos. How do I know what version of "as is" I'm going to get from a seller with a stock photo and a vague description that the item is in "acceptable" condition?