IGNORED

The New Donkey Kong "Arcade" For 8-Bit

Kjmann

Way to go Kjmann!

I spent many hours playing this game on my 400 back in the day, and the thing that always irked me was how Mario could hit his head on the barrels. Nice to see you improve the game play as well as the sound. Great work!

TEP392

The original game still stands as the best home conversion ever. Love the sounds. I'm buying that when I get paid!

I think the bass needs to be lower (if that's even possible), it sounds too high.

Tempest

I tried to get the bass as low as I could. The problem is that, any lower and it starts to sound dirty/metallic.

In fact none of the games on my site were acquired from the atari age forums. I have three private sources that I get the games from. none of them are related to atari age or any other discussion forum.

Blaster was released in this thread :-

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/46671-blaster-5200-8-bit-protos-released/

The first post by Albert states that no carts are to be made and sold for profit.

• Like 7

I sure do appreciate the work people do to keep our ancient platform interesting. However, and I may be weird here, I prefer the music and sfx from the officially released DK for the Atari 8-bit. In fact when I play the arcade version I find myself missing the Atari version.

Kudos on a great effort though!

• Like 2

Talking about those "remakes" - teah, good idea to refresh those games, but WHY THE HELL making business on it?

Ok, ok - when I want to have colorful box with printed manual and yadda yadda yadda... I just pay for it, and it's OK. But when I weant to JUST PLAY the games, why I have to wasting my $$$ (or other money).

Also the rights question... Let's say I've found the game rated 11 rarity (or just any other one with unclear or obcure rights-problem). I would first go into situation where no one can sue me for breaking his rights to of publishing/selling/giving away the game.

Just look at GR8 Software and how do they deal with various game-ports and remakes.

Just a proposal, nothing personal. :P

• Like 2

Just FYI for all you people that were concerned with Blaster on my website. I have a letter from Eugene Jarvis Thanking me for "keeping the Blaster Cart alive in the 8-bit Atari format"

He has no problem with my producing it.

Can we read it? :)

• Like 3

I like it. Any chance of adding a high score save to the flash cart? I believe Mark posted the code used in my Ultima carts that can saves/loads pages to/from banks in the flash cart.

Edit: Found the thread with the page write, its pretty small and might be easy enough to shoe horn into your xex.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/158384-bincarrom-format-whats-the-difference/page__p__1945715__hl__ultima__fromsearch__1#entry1945715

Steve

Edited by classics

I sure do appreciate the work people do to keep our ancient platform interesting. However, and I may be weird here, I prefer the music and sfx from the officially released DK for the Atari 8-bit. In fact when I play the arcade version I find myself missing the Atari version.

Kudos on a great effort though!

Me too, so many years playing the proper Atari version makes this one sound horrible to my ears

I like it. Any chance of adding a high score save to the flash cart? I believe Mark posted the code used in my Ultima carts that can saves/loads pages to/from banks in the flash cart.

Edit: Found the thread with the page write, its pretty small and might be easy enough to shoe horn into your xex.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/158384-bincarrom-format-whats-the-difference/page__p__1945715__hl__ultima__fromsearch__1#entry1945715

Steve

Not a bad Idea Steve. I asked someone to look into that since you mentioned it. =)

If all goes well, It might be a reality in a couple days.

Wow. Nice job. It's like an already great home made birthday cake, only with extra frosting and a stripper. :D

The original game still stands as the best home conversion ever. Love the sounds. I'm buying that when I get paid!

:thumbsup:

Hmm funny that because ALL Atarisoft versions of DK play nothing like the arcade, speed of mario is wrong, the screen aspect ratio is wrong, the graphics are horrible, even the colours are disgusting. There is even a platform missing still and DK is on the wrong side of the screen.

This version fixes very little of what is wrong with A8 DK, if it was free to download I'd have to find time to play it when nothing is actually fixed. No offence but for me to buy it I would expect it to look sound and play as well as something between the C64 and Amstrad CPC licensed ports via Ocean software in the UK, which is universally considered by people like Stuart Campbell and other games reviewers of high reputation to be the best versions end of story (and they write multi-format reviews so they have no bias and more experience than all of us).

The best home version of DK is either on the Amstrad CPC or C64 via Ocean software in the UK (who licensed it from Nintendo).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-1OqbKNmzE

Wow. Nice job. It's like an already great home made birthday cake, only with extra frosting and a stripper. :D

Hmm funny that because ALL Atarisoft versions of DK play nothing like the arcade, speed of mario is wrong, the screen aspect ratio is wrong, the graphics are horrible, even the colours are disgusting. There is even a platform missing still and DK is on the wrong side of the screen.

This version fixes very little of what is wrong with A8 DK, if it was free to download I'd have to find time to play it when nothing is actually fixed. No offence but for me to buy it I would expect it to look sound and play as well as something between the C64 and Amstrad CPC licensed ports via Ocean software in the UK, which is universally considered by people like Stuart Campbell and other games reviewers of high reputation to be the best versions end of story (and they write multi-format reviews so they have no bias and more experience than all of us).

The best home version of DK is either on the Amstrad CPC or C64 via Ocean software in the UK (who licensed it from Nintendo).

I can't speak for Kjmann, but I doubt he set out to re-write DK. It's a sound hack with a couple other minor changes thrown in. I think he has improved many of the sounds, but a few could use some tweaking. If I had to choose between the original cart or his, I'd buy his.

As far as the original Atari 8-bit version is concerned, don't forget that Atari limited the game progammer to 16k for the program and it had to run on 16k Atari 400's. I'm sure it would have been better if more storage and RAM were made available. At the time it was released, 3 years prior to Oceans, it was Da Bomb.

Regarding the Ocean version, it's graphics are VERY impressive, but I prefer the sound in the Atari version. The Ocean sounds are just off. Seems that they should have done better with the C64's SID chip.

What shocking sound and music. And what's with the spring level? You aren't supposed to be able to just walk along the bottom... or did this guy activate one of the cheat hacks?

And finally, when will people learn to just leave all the preamble shit out of these retro game captures... almost 2 minutes before the actual game comes up.

• Like 2

Obviously, you don't know your games. I played DK a lot in arcade and on A8 and like both. You can't just make it exactly arcade like; they are different machines with different screens and nor should they be trying to make it exactly like arcade but just as fun and playable. What a blatant bunch of inexperienced remarks. They targetted it perfectly on A8. All other versions I have played suck including C64. Whatever magazines you read, I will be avoiding or perhaps its just you exaggerating things. I have been playing HSC and Goochman has my vote more than your magazines.

I agree with Rybags also-- shorten that loading time and remove the decorations of a dead body.

• Like 2

DK on the 8bit to me is more of an enhancement. Mario is very 'stiff' on the arcade version - the 8bit version makes him an action hero and is almost more fun IMHO :)

Perfectly stated!!! I **LOVE** the A8 Donkey Kong. I guess it's because I grew up with it, but it's pretty much a kick-ass conversion even if I hadn't. Mario does seem to move a little faster in the A8 version, and I prefer it that way. A8 Donkey Kong is not only one of the few that has the 4th screen, but it's also one of the few where the barrels bounce when they drop. I find the [youtube video] to be interesting, but I'm of the opinion that the original Landon Dyer sound effects being perfect, and the game really not in need of improvement. Still, I'm glad to see a hack too.

I've had the "real" deal on MAME for years and years but I find myself grabbing an A8 and cartridge to get most of my Donkey Kong fixes, anyway.

DK on the 8bit to me is more of an enhancement. Mario is very 'stiff' on the arcade version - the 8bit version makes him an action hero and is almost more fun IMHO :)

Perfectly stated!!! I **LOVE** the A8 Donkey Kong. I guess it's because I grew up with it, but it's pretty much a kick-ass conversion even if I hadn't. Mario does seem to move a little faster in the A8 version, and I prefer it that way. A8 Donkey Kong is not only one of the few that has the 4th screen, but it's also one of the few where the barrels bounce when they drop. I find the [youtube video] to be interesting, but I'm of the opinion that the original Landon Dyer sound effects being perfect, and the game really not in need of improvement. Still, I'm glad to see a hack too.

I've had the "real" deal on MAME for years and years but I find myself grabbing an A8 and cartridge to get most of my Donkey Kong fixes, anyway.

As I said Earlier, Landons original version Is awesome. This was just something to update the sound, Put the Intro (kong bending the girders) in the right place, and also to fix the bug of mario getting hit by rolling barrels above him.

I did the Music and Effects in RMT and Fandal Implemented them for me. fandal also wrote the code for the collision Detection Fix with Marios head.

tep392 (Perry) did the code fix to move the Intro animation to the start of a game rather than as a "screen saver" type thing in the title screen.

When it came to the sound I had to judge what to do concerning the limitations of the pokey. after all as Perry pointed out to me, the arcade used Triangle wave generators instead of Square wave generators like the pokey has. so it was hard to get a smooth low bass and keep the ability for certain high frequencies in the pure tone generator.

I also had to make a judgement call for marios "Walk" sound. When I tried to make it more like the arcade "Squeak" type noise, the pokey made it sound more like a wet "Drip" Noise instead. So as a solution I duplicated the Colecovision Walk sound instead. I always thought the coleco had a pretty good "walk" sound effect anyway. =)

Because of all the work that he put into this (and it was a LOT of work), Fandal Gets a royalty off of every cart that is sold. =)

Kjmann,

I watched the sample video on your website again, and I have to say that you really nailed it. The original sounds were very good, but the use of RMT sound really give's it that Arcade feel. The new sounds, along with the excellent game play of the original really make this a must have cart for the 8-bit DK fan.

Again, Great work!

I can't speak for Kjmann, but I doubt he set out to re-write DK. It's a sound hack with a couple other minor changes thrown in. I think he has improved many of the sounds, but a few could use some tweaking. If I had to choose between the original cart or his, I'd buy his.

As far as the original Atari 8-bit version is concerned, don't forget that Atari limited the game progammer to 16k for the program and it had to run on 16k Atari 400's. I'm sure it would have been better if more storage and RAM were made available. At the time it was released, 3 years prior to Oceans, it was Da Bomb.

Regarding the Ocean version, it's graphics are VERY impressive, but I prefer the sound in the Atari version. The Ocean sounds are just off. Seems that they should have done better with the C64's SID chip.

I don't like the way the flame shapes are on C64 nor the colors. I don't have sound working yet on my latest C64 so I can't comment on that. I think the collision detection is excellent on A8 compared to games like Popeye where they aren't so great. I saw some news review on NBC TV in the 1980s and they preferred the A8 version as well.

Arcade version doesn't have pause nor the convenience of sitting at home and picking from a variety of joystick options. So I'll pick A8 version over arcade version as well.

I just checked out the C=64 Ocean version.

The sfx and music are almost as bad as the 2600 version.

The barrels are rediculously small. The ladders seem to offer little leeway, you need to be almost pixel perfect if not moving the joystick diagonally in order to start climbing one. They also look too skinny.

The jumping is hit and miss. It's as if they have a too-long delay after a jump before allowing the player to jump again.

The gameplay just doesn't seem smooth like the A8 version.

About the only advantage I saw of this game is that the design of Level 1 more closely matches the arcade. The look of the game is inferior to A8 as is the quality of gameplay and it's in no way helped by the poor music/sfx.

Seriously, anyone who plays both for half an hour each would choose the Atari version.

Re this modified version... I actually preferred not having the starting sequence with Kong jumping around... it might be more "authentic", but in my mind just adds an annoying delay every time you start a game.

• Like 3