IGNORED

The New Donkey Kong "Arcade" For 8-Bit

Kjmann

The alternative, and I don't know why any games never used it on Atari:

Hardware collision, but make it necessary for contact to occur for more than one frame.

So, a grazing incident would go unnoticed, but a full-blown collision would register.

One other option (if you have sprites to spare) is to use multiple sprites so that the inner sprite's collision register is used. That actually would be more accurate than a bounding box since you can trace the exact contour where you want the collisions.

I was just playing Donkey Kong again-- one good thing about it is that there's no pattern so that the game becomes repetitive and dull as the barrels seem to have unpredictable behavior.

I notice that kjmann is still selling unauthorized Blaster reproductions for $34.95 per copy. And I agree on Point B: his saying that he "didn't get Blaster from here" is a cop-out, and I think he knows it.

I hate it when people do things like this. Someone does something out of the goodness of their heart and then someone else has to spoil it ...

I once remember a retailer giving employees of my old company free gift cards so they could buy themselves a gift. Within minutes, some less tactful folks were selling the cards on eBay and then no one ever got gift cards again.

Nothing that can be done to stop it, but boy does it suck.

I hate it when people do things like this. Someone does something out of the goodness of their heart and then someone else has to spoil it ...

I once remember a retailer giving employees of my old company free gift cards so they could buy themselves a gift. Within minutes, some less tactful folks were selling the cards on eBay and then no one ever got gift cards again.

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/164189-the-new-donkey-kong-arcade-for-8-bit/page__view__findpost__p__2027939

http://www.atariage....ost__p__2027939

I'm glad you posted this and got it resolved.

Just jumped from the ledge in Donkey Kong to the left side and bounced back to avoid a few barrels. I was trying this for some time but finally got it timed correctly.

I give you a few days off and this is what you get up to ;)

It's always nice to hear what people are doing for the A8, but for me our DK is still a fantastic game, with challenging gameplay making getting through to level 7 from level 1 a tough challenge for the best players in the HSC. I think hitting heads on barrels is a good thing that adds to the gameplay... would be really nice to see another DK game or some new screens etc one day. Keep up the good work :)

Just jumped from the ledge in Donkey Kong to the left side and bounced back to avoid a few barrels. I was trying this for some time but finally got it timed correctly.

I give you a few days off and this is what you get up to ;)

It's always nice to hear what people are doing for the A8, but for me our DK is still a fantastic game, with challenging gameplay making getting through to level 7 from level 1 a tough challenge for the best players in the HSC. I think hitting heads on barrels is a good thing that adds to the gameplay... would be really nice to see another DK game or some new screens etc one day. Keep up the good work :)

It's actually a useful trick to learn since in later levels when the ape goes ape and barrels are being tossed at you from practically all directions, jumping of that third ledge comes in handy. It's more time in the air than doing a direct jump. I think hitting barrels on the head is also a good thing (for the game) not in real life.

I remember from the coin-op, you could jump and hit barrels with your head and die. So isn't that a feature that makes the 800 version accurate?

In the Arcade you could get hit at the end of the girders, but not in the middle. the atari version was a little too sensitive to marios head getting hit.

The Picture here shows an example of an area Circled in yellow where mario can get hit in the head and the purple is an area where we fixed it.

Just like the Arcade.

I remember from the coin-op, you could jump and hit barrels with your head and die. So isn't that a feature that makes the 800 version accurate?

In the Arcade you could get hit at the end of the girders, but not in the middle. the atari version was a little too sensitive to marios head getting hit.

The Picture here shows an example of an area Circled in yellow where mario can get hit in the head and the purple is an area where we fixed it.

Just like the Arcade.

I guess for people transitioning over from or used to the arcade version, that would be an improvement.

Just like the Arcade.

I guess for people transitioning over from or used to the arcade version, that would be an improvement.

I suppose repeatedly banging his head on the steel girders doesn't hurt him at all but a little nick on a rounded soft wooden barrel and he's toast :D

Was there another 8-bit computer DK sequel with any cool screens - pics please?!

Just like the Arcade.

I suppose repeatedly banging his head on the steel girders doesn't hurt him at all but a little nick on a rounded soft wooden barrel and he's toast :D

Was there another 8-bit computer DK sequel with any cool screens - pics please?!

If the barrels are on a monorail, then Mario has room to jump and not hit the monorail since barrels can be wider than the monorail. And why are barrels soft? They may be the hard wood type with metal strips that some people used to go over Niagara Falls.

• 3 years later...

Didn't see it on video 61. Does it have all 4 screens? The thread's kinda confusing.

It's based off the Atari release, which always had all four screens. Sounds were redone, some gameplay tweaks, high score save. Member Kjmann would know how to get it.

Kinda off topic, but man does this make me jealous.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOwXMpjIiYI

The Atari version is really good to start with, but there are places where it could be improved. KJMann was mainly focusing on some playability issues and redoing all the sounds and music. I think the sounds and music were fine the way they were. Graphically it could be made a little more accurate and colorful.

I suppose the playability issues were a reasonable thing to work on, but I just took them as a challenge for this particular version. Let's face it, there's no way to completely get around the differences in screen dimensions between the arcade machines and the Atari 8-Bit computers. There will always have to be compromises.

Edited by MrFish