IGNORED

Hannspree 9.6 inch tv 4-in-1 cable pinout

redman

Hello all,

This may be a little off topic but.....

I got a beautiful 9.6 inch Hannspree Chicago Cubs baseball shaped television (NTSC) from ebay, cheap.

http://www.hannspree.com/global/product_detail.aspx?id=322&c=310

I want to use the lcd for a portable project replacing a 9 inch mono crt (very big improvement). When new, a 10 pin mini din cable is included (Hannspree calls it the "4-in-1" cable) for hooking up svideo, composite video, and stereo sound. The cable has a 10 pin proprietary connector (similar in size to a standard svideo connector) on one end. The other end has 3 RCA plugs (composite video,left & right audio) and a standard svideo connector. The tv that I got didn't have the cable. RCA jacks for composite video and audio inputs are available but I really want to use svideo. This will be hooked up to an 800XL mobo with the Super Video 2.0 & 2.1 mods. Hannspree won't give me any specs, they only want to sell a cable for 30 euros. A know that this is a longshot but, does anyone have the specs for this cable or does someone have a cable that they could check with an ohmmeter to give the proper pins for the svideo input?

These tv's have a very nice picture but they are collectible so the prices are usually high. I got lucky and the person selling it advertised it as 6 inches instead of 9.6 inches so only me and another person bidded on it. I found a site with instructions on how to open up the case and remove the lcd and it's really very simple. The link above has pictures and the user manual. TIA.

Redman

I believe this is a case for the scientific method. In other words, take the wires leading from your Atari and keep poking them in there until something happens. You have five signals (audio L, audio R, luma, chroma, CVBS) so adding in five grounds to go along with them would account for all ten pins on the mystery connector.

Same size connector as S-Video?

Chances are that if it has 4 pins in matching positions, then those ones would equate to the matching S-Video inputs... video cards on PCs often use that kind of breakout system for TV output.

I had the same 10 pin S-video sized connector for TV output on my Nvidia 4800 Gainward card and yes it was wired up so if all you wanted was S=Video you could use a standard cable. If Hannspree have any sense they would have done it that way also :)

I believe this is a case for the scientific method. In other words, take the wires leading from your Atari and keep poking them in there until something happens. You have five signals (audio L, audio R, luma, chroma, CVBS) so adding in five grounds to go along with them would account for all ten pins on the mystery connector.

This was my first thought but I hesitated because I'm afraid of smoking the thing up. I can feed the luma signal in until I see a picture and eliminate the composite vid in pin because there should be continuity between the existing RCA comp vid jack and one of the 10 pins. If I get my nerve up, I'll try it this weekend. Thanks for the response.

Same size connector as S-Video?

Chances are that if it has 4 pins in matching positions, then those ones would equate to the matching S-Video inputs... video cards on PCs often use that kind of breakout system for TV output.

I'm not that lucky. The 4 pins are not in a matching position and the connector is shaped differently. As soon as I charge the batteries for my camera, I'll post a picture of the connector. Looks like the poke and hope method of feeding signals into random pins is the way to go. Thanks for the thought.

I got doubts it'd be close to either of those.

You could play around with a multimeter and work some out. Those other RCA jacks I guess are A/V ?

Chances are they might be in parallel to the same inputs on the 10-pin so you could work those out... the grounds are probably all shared so you could work those out.

So, from 10 pins, that should take care of GND, audioL, audioR, composite, leaving 6 pins. Chances are that more than one pin is ground so that'd cut it down even further.

• 3 months later...

Hello all,

I finally got going on this project and worked out the pin connections. Looking at the 10 pin mini-din connector on the back of the tv (the one that looks similar to an svideo connector) there are 3 rows of pins. Top row has 3, middle has 4, and bottom has 3. I'm defining a numbering system starting from left to right as follows: Top row pins 1,2,3. Middle row pins 4,5,6,7. Bottom row pins 8,9,10. Following are pin assignments: 1 - composite video, 2 - ground, 3 - left audio, 4 - chroma, 5 - ??, 6 - ??, 7 - ground, 8 - ground, 9 - luma, 10 - right audio. I hope that this will help someone who needs to use the svideo capability of the tv.

Redman