insomnia

GCC for the TI

Nice! But you say it /crashes/ in Classic99? Or just doesn't sound right?

Classic99's speech implementation is unable to halt the CPU - if you want it to work in Classic99 you can't just blitz data at the speech synth, you have to monitor the buffer control bits and feed it only when it's low. I know why it doesn't work and the fix is complex, but coming.

But if it is actually /crashing/, that I want to know about.

I see things run off into illegal instructions... but not if I'm stepping through... and that wasn't until I added the 'blast-mode' say-data piece so maybe if I implement the prescribed buffer flow stuff it'll work... 

This is all good stuff but maybe should be in its own thread? Try to keep this thread about issues with the compiler - this thread is huge as is.

5 hours ago, chue said:

This is all good stuff but maybe should be in its own thread? Try to keep this thread about issues with the compiler - this thread is huge as is.

Agree and sorry. Questioning the one came to the other and there seemed no other suitable C thread to ask the inititial question in. Made seperate topic (or if a mod reads this, please move whole chain)

Edited by xahmol

When I coded the fix to stop crashing classic99 by overrunning the speech fifo, I still had compiler usability issues... I had to force the function to never be inlined, so that in the context of the say_data function it would actually perform a call. The optimizer leaves the status check in during the compilation of the routine I used to read status. But if it inlined that into a greater function, it decided the __asm__ had no side effects and removed it. I probably needed to make sure the __asm__ produced an output to a gcc register.

• Like 2