IGNORED

Heavy sixer color issue

Atari2600Lives

I tried the search results but had trouble finding this issue.

Lately when I play Kaboom the green background of the game suddenly goes red, this happens randomly and sometimes stays and sometimes shutting the unit on or off several times or flicking the color siwtch to black and white several times clears the problem (then again the problem might just be going away randomly on its own as I try what I just mentioned).

What is wrong with unit? Any ideas?

Edited by Atari2600Lives

If that particular color is the only one that changes, I'd suspect the TIA chip. However, if all or nearly all the colors shift to some degree, it's more likely a bad chroma adjustment pot. Do you experience any color changes in any other games when you play them for the same amount of time?

Another possibility is bad RAM, if the game happens to store that color in RAM (I don't think Kaboom does that though).

Edited by A.J. Franzman

• 1 month later...

My H6er has the same problem. I think I tried replacing the chips, no difference. Sometimes it changes quickly, sometimes after a long time.

I think it's one of the capacitors, probably.. that's what I'm going to try replacing next, anyway.

Spiranthos let me know how that goes, you could be saving me a lot of trouble and time if it works.

Have you tried twaeking the adjustment pot yet? I can't think of any way that a bad capacitor would cause the symptom you described.

I've tried all sorts of things. Even changing all the chips. I think I may have changed the regulator too but I'm not sure.

You can actually see the effect if you watch my Quadrun video, incidentally (the one on YouTube), I did that on the H6er.

From memory I tried changing all the ICs I could, as like you I suspected the TIA at first, and it still happened, so it must be something else, and capacitors are the usual suspects....

Edit: The video is at

and the colour shift happens at 5:43. Edited by Spirantho

IMO Quadrun isn't exactly the best game for providing an example of a color shift. All I noticed was your score went from orangish to pinkish. On a PAL console, there are more factors that come into play, specifically there's an extra quartz crystal and associated transistor(s?) and capacitor(s?) which are only there for the PAL color signal generation. I would check or swap those parts if the adjustment pot seems to be OK.

Unfortunately, if your unit's problem does turn out to lie in that area, the diagnosis doesn't help Atari2600Lives with his problem, as he's most likely got an NTSC console which doesn't have those parts.

IMO Quadrun isn't exactly the best game for providing an example of a color shift. All I noticed was your score went from orangish to pinkish. On a PAL console, there are more factors that come into play, specifically there's an extra quartz crystal and associated transistor(s?) and capacitor(s?) which are only there for the PAL color signal generation. I would check or swap those parts if the adjustment pot seems to be OK.

Unfortunately, if your unit's problem does turn out to lie in that area, the diagnosis doesn't help Atari2600Lives with his problem, as he's most likely got an NTSC console which doesn't have those parts.

Who said my machine was PAL? :) It's an NTSC H6 just like his.....

Please forgive the assumption. I'm sure you understand it was based on your profile location info.

I figured as much. But if it had been PAL the colour palette would have been completely wrong on my Quadrun (which is NTSC only) video :)

I'm about to have a hack at my H6er now, I'll let anyone know if I find out anything...