IGNORED

Lynx History - Original Names

Peter Engelbrite

Many people know that the working title for the Lynx was "Handy". What you might not know is that for a brief time Atari had named it the Atari Portable Entertainment System. When I pointed out that the acronym would be A.P.E.S. they changed it to Lynx. The very first name for the Lynx was: "The Electronic Nuclear Toaster". There was a time when the project was top secret, even within Epyx. There were security locks on the doors to the Lynx development area and the Nuclear Toaster was the official (well, semi-official) name for the project. There was a sheet describing the toaster taped outside the door. At one point one of the Epyx programmers opened up the ceiling tiles and crawled over to take a look (I knew it was you, Kevin). Eventually the secret was out and it was known as the Handy.

• Like 12

Wow thats a great story and so cool to have a real legend of the wonder that is the Lynx here on AA. The Lynx still is my favourite machine and still wows me every bit as much as the first time I played on one back in 1990. I would love to hear more stories especially about any of the Epyx games that went unreleased. :lust:

Would have been funny if they had stuck with the original name :rolling:

• Like 1

Peter, I love games you worked on like Todd's Adventures in Slime World, & Gates of Zendocon!

Anything you could tell us about the cancelled adventure, Barbarian Bodyguard, for the Lynx?

Sure. (before I start: No, I do not have the source code) I was very disappointed when Lynx development was canceled (that project was not specifically canceled - all Lynx development was canceled because Atari refused to pay anything for them). It had a princess and a bodyguard on a quest together. The bodyguard was a macho barbarian who had strength abilities, and the princess was physically weak, but had magic ability. As they went along, they would come across spinning coins. One side had a powerup for the bodyguard, the other a powerup for the princess. Only one would get the powerup, so they had to choose. If you played single player, you could switch between them. In two player, one would take the bodyguard, the other the princess. The players could get pretty separated and would need to for some puzzles. Most puzzles would need some action from both. From a game theory point of view, I felt that asymmetrical, co-operative play had some real potential. The technology had some interesting technologies: The characters had a hierarchical animation system so that the upper body could be attached to the waist and move, then an arm could attach to that, then a hand to that. The motion be added so that the global position of the hand would depend on the arm, which would depend on the upper body, which would depend on the waist. It made for very fluid and non-repetitive animation. While it was an intrinsically 2D game, it incorporated 3D perspective in the background, so they could walk past a line of columns receding into the distance and it would work in perspective. It also had uneven ground, so they could climb hills and such. The major technology was done, and I was starting on implementing the gameplay when development stopped. I had some landscape, some powerup graphics, the barbarian, the princess, and a pig guard. Game development is one of the few circumstances when you can say "I like your pig head" and it's not an insult. We were kicking around what we should call someone who has magical powers (the princess), when one of the other programmers said: "Hey I know an actual witch, let's ask her!" When I said I would rather not, he got very upset (I think she was his girlfriend).

I really annoy my son when he's talking about some innovation in a new game, and I say - yeah, I invented that in such and such game: they took my idea and ran with it.

• Like 3

This is the most interesting read I'm having today! From the creator of one of my favorite platformers Slime World even!!

Hierarchical animation system.. I have no idea how that would work out on the Lynx, but surely sounds innovative for its time (& a lot of work), and I can't help myself but ask.. are there any screen shots of this game? And thank god you pointed them out about the A.P.E.S. acronym!

Sure. (before I start: No, I do not have the source code) I was very disappointed when Lynx development was canceled (that project was not specifically canceled - all Lynx development was canceled because Atari refused to pay anything for them). It had a princess and a bodyguard on a quest together. The bodyguard was a macho barbarian who had strength abilities, and the princess was physically weak, but had magic ability. As they went along, they would come across spinning coins. One side had a powerup for the bodyguard, the other a powerup for the princess.

I really annoy my son when he's talking about some innovation in a new game, and I say - yeah, I invented that in such and such game: they took my idea and ran with it.

That sounds like it would have been a cool game. It's unfortunate that Atari canceled development and that you don't have the code!

I bet you enjoy telling your son about your video game inventions! LOL

Hi Peter,

It's really cool to read these stories! Thanks for sharing.

By the way, have you seen my redeye prototype?

RJ Mical told me he wanted to make a product out of it, but I never heard of him again after he told me that.

Do you have inside stories about the redeye? :)

regards,

Roland.

Peter, I think you missed a word from the original name for the lynx, as far as I remember going by the CES launch reviewed in ACE magazine (a UK based multi format games rag) the original name for lynx was the mouthful that is 'Atari portable colour entertainment system' or APCES for short

Nice to see another ex atari staffer and developer on AA peter

I would not be at all surprised that APCES was floated. Maybe the tried that for awhile after the realized the ramifications of APES.

I don't have anything at all on Barbarian Bodyguard.

You probably already know this: the multiplayer communications was originally designed to be infrared (hence redeye), but they just couldn't get it to work reliably. The bandwidth was low, so the games typically passed controller information rather than game state information. While much more efficient, it also meant that there if a player dropped out, the entire game had to freeze. Modern multi-player games can have some player lag, then catch up when a player comes back. Anyway, towards the end of development, infrared was dropped because it was deemed too unreliable.

Has anyone investigated a computer interface to allow multiplayer Lynx games over the internet? THAT would be cool!

You probably already know this: the multiplayer communications was originally designed to be infrared (hence redeye), but they just couldn't get it to work reliably. The bandwidth was low, so the games typically passed controller information rather than game state information. While much more efficient, it also meant that there if a player dropped out, the entire game had to freeze. Modern multi-player games can have some player lag, then catch up when a player comes back. Anyway, towards the end of development, infrared was dropped because it was deemed too unreliable.

Reliability was an issue for me too. I sended all 1's by making little pulses, one for each 1. At the receiver side, the pulses where made wider, into 1's again. The sender blinded the receiver so they had to be seperated, but you still needed to aim it precisely.

The concept behind that barbarian games sounds like what they did in Trine, at least a little bit. I hadn't heard of Barbarian Bodyguard before, thanks for sharing!

As for a ComLynx internet device, that would be far more exciting to have than something to project the Lynx image onto a larger screen, which is what most Lynx hardware projects seem to focus on.

Peter! Good to see you on AA! Guys don't forget that Peter also programmed 2600 California Games, one of the best for certain.

Still have your interview on my site. What have you been up to lately?

Thanks for keeping that up (boy I look young in that photo).

Educational software pays the bills... I'm active in Second Life (I bet that out-geeks you guys), where I make steampunk buildings, I'm doing iPhone stuff (look up maggots and BrainRot - a couple of things I did just to try things out). I'm selling my Music Machine 2600 (http://Engelbrite.com/musicmachine) probably on Game Gavel next week. You can play it in emulation at http://engelbrite.com/musicmachine/game My full resume is at http://Peter.Engelbrite.com.

Thanks so much for the story about Barbarian Bodyguard! Very interesting to

hear all the details! Sounds like you were certainly on the brink of some

revolutionary gameplay developments!

Are there any screen shots of this game?

I swear I've seen a single screen-shot in some gaming magazing, back in the day.

(Despite the fact that Peter's Atari Times interview says that no screen shots were

ever taken.) -- I'll try to see if I can locate it this weekend!

Edited by Nimtene