IGNORED

This LYNX review on YouTube makes me wanna barf.. what do YOU think?

Atari Joe

This is a general review of the LYNX by "mrbeanchannel" on YouTube. It makes me want to barf my guts out! He doesnt seem like he has ever played many games on the LYNX and wont stop talking about how big it is. Yes the LYNX is big compared to modern portables but you could make the same comparison with cell phones. The guy just doesnt seem to know what he's talking about and if you can't speak from a perspective of knowledge then I can't take you seriously.

Here's the review. What do YOU think??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZ9mUC5M2Dk

• Like 1

I just get really frustrated with all these LYNX reviews floating around YouTube created by people who don't even know what they have. There are so many of them that fall along the same lines of "Yeah so today we're reviewing the Atari Lynx. I guess it was a competitor to Game Boy that came out sometime around 1994. And BOY IS THIS THING HUGE. What was Atari thinking? Who would ever want to play something this big? Anyway. Uh... well it takes batteries. And like I said it's big. And it takes these little game cards but I only have this one game that came with it that I didnt play very long it's called Dirty Larry Renagade Cop. So I guess there werent many games for Lynx and they all sucked because they were from Atari. If you like Atari I'd suggest the 2600 instead it's more popular. And for a portable the Nintendo DS kicks the Lynx's butt because it's smaller and has slightly better graphics."

I'm sorry but that's just absurd.

And while I do understand that the original Game Boy did have some good games and did have certain advantages, to say that the Game Boy was way better than Lynx regardless of the graphics and sound just because it was a bit smaller doesnt hold water. By that same reasoning you could say that the Nintendo Game & Watch games were better than Game Boy because they were smaller, even though the graphics werent as good. That's bs. Each of these things are what they are, and they were decent attempts for their time and I wish they would be respected as such. Most 2nd or 3rd graders in 1991, who would have owned a GameBoy or a Lynx, most likely would only have somewhere between 5-10 games. There were certainly 5-10 amazing titles available for the Lynx, at least in my opinion. I would take Road Blasters, STUN Runner, Blue Lightening, Chips Challenge, Electrocop, Gauntlet, Block Out, and certainly California Games over ANY other group of games on original Game Boy or Game Gear. That's just my opinion but I think the graphics, sound and overall game play deliver a far greater gaming experience than what original game boy did in its day.

Here are two more reviews. This first one is ATROCIOUS :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-u0DLwqt6k

This second one is from Gamester81. It's a fairly well-rounded review with some decent comparisons. Gamester81 usually does a decent job. This was the best one I could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4246dnEXxyo

Thanks,

Joe

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

True... but I can't name ANY portables, from the dawn of time until today, that are larger than a Lynx.

That is because the Lynx is the Battleship of Handheld Gaming.

They should of just named it the 'Bismarck'. Big, powerful, and it completely outclassed everything else, but ultimately it was doomed to failure due to poor support by Atari.

Damn shame too. It's still my favorite retro-handheld.

• Like 3

Who says portables have to fit in your pocket anyway? It's not like it's so big you have to lay it on the table or your lap to play. It's still a self-contained unit that you can take anywhere. I don't get these complaints at all. The Lynx is the perfect size for me. It's the only portable that doesn't make my hands cramp up because it's too small. My fingers go numb after playing my DS or GBA for an extended period of time. Same for the PSP. Those systems are just not ergonomically designed. The Lynx, on the other hand (no pun intended), fits perfectly in my grip.

I didn't watch the reviews posted here. My eyes would probably roll so far back in my head I would have to have someone slap me on the back to get them straight again. They sound like they were made by ignorant youth, who are the last people that should be giving people buying advice. :lol:

• Like 1

You know, these videos show a downside of the internet. Everybody is free to publish just about every crap with absolutely no control of decent research being done before putting stuff online. I don´t even feel able to get into the mindset of these "reviewers". How can they on one side willingly put their videos online for millions to see, while on the other side they are unwilling to spend the minimum effort to deliver some accurate information? I mean, by doing that they just show how incompetent they are. I would feel ashamed if everybody saw me online speaking of things I have no idea of. It is just beyond me.

Tragically, such reviews even help putting the topics, in this case the Lynx, in a bad light. People not knowing a whole lot about it watch these vids and after stumbling upon TWO totally unprofessional reviews have good reason to believe that the system really does suck. How would they know of how silly the reviews are if this is the first thing they hear about the Lynx?

The Lynx being a GameBoy, being released in 1993 or 1994...not knowing if headphones were standard for the time or what the flip option was for... these are things so easy to read up BEFORE I turn on the camera.

And one more thing, regarding the size: The Lynx really was huge, very true. Yet I hear people even complaining about the original GameBoy´s size. And I don´t really get the point. I was a kid in the GameBoy era,I belonged to the target group. Most kids had one. And tell you what: we played just fine with it. Never did it occur to me it should be smaller. And I even had that rechargeable adaptor hanging from my belt. Granted, the Lynx did not fit well in a 9 years old pocket. But what is it today that the actual handling and playing comfort seem to have become minor subjects as long as the handheld just is very small? The original GameBoy felt comfortable to millions of 8-year old kids with its size, and the Lynx feels very comfortable to me today (with the Lynx target audience being older anyway). What is the benefit of, say, the GB Micro? Why do PSP-models become smaller and smaller? Why do cellphones have to be so damn small I have problems not pushing two buttons at once?

I don´t get it. Sure, I can fit them everywhere, but what is it good for if actually using these machines gets more of a struggle? Maybe we will soon be using tweezers to be able to push the buttons correctly?

Phew...

Really, the Lynx had a few problems, I won´t deny that. But complaining about the size 99% of times you hear about the system is way out of proportion.

• Like 1

I actually tripped over that second lynx vid yesterday on my own, while looking for 'Top 10 games' videos. (lynx really needs a good one of those) I may not be the biggest lynx fan, but a lot of those videos are just unfair, and were written by people who are clearly having trouble putting themselves into the time period the lynx (and other systems) lived in.

The easy way to do it is to remember back, but for those who don't have the advantage of being old enough, some serious collecting and researching could make up for it. It clearly hasn't made up for it, but it could. Really I think it will happen, and anybody with a big game collection is going to have a lot to say, no matter how long they've been alive. These bad reviews are made by people who are already interested enough in retro gaming to buy a lynx, so maybe in another few years, when they've spent some time with the gamegear, TurboExpress and Gameboy the vids will come out differently.

I didn't watch that 3rd vid, but I do have to give Gamester81 props for consistantly having some great obscure console vids. He keeps his vids a lot more interesting and light than some of the other serious game collectors I subscribe to.

Edited by Reaperman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72l9AU4oGlU

Not sure who here has seen this idiot, another guy talking complete rubbish. I have already tried to correct him once but he has now blocked me from posting on his videos so I can't reply to his idiotic response.

He is trying to claim only 30 games were released for the Lynx and that the Lynx had a less advanced version of mode 7 :lol:

Please all chip in its the only way we are going to set these idiots straight. ;)

• Like 2

Oh come on, 90% of the stuff on Youtube is trash. People that doesn't know anything about video editing should be forbidden from posting videos on Youtube.

And also anyone who cannot use a tripod to hold the camera.

However, it is funny watching them trying to operate the lynx (or whatever) with one hand.

[quote name=Sub(Function(:))' date='Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:31 PM' timestamp='1279488694' post='2053537]

Oh come on, 90% of the stuff on Youtube is trash. People that doesn't know anything about video editing should be forbidden from posting videos on Youtube.

And also anyone who cannot use a tripod to hold the camera.

However, it is funny watching them trying to operate the lynx (or whatever) with one hand.

Tripod? What's that? :)

I totally agree!Let's trash and burn the whole Site down and tell the webmaster to start over with a clean slate and some professionalism!!Burn baby burn!!!!Dump all the rank amateurs and bullshitters. :) ;) I want to see some real and true Atari facts.

What about "people that doesn't know anything" about grammar posting on message boards?

• Like 3

What about "people that doesn't know anything" about grammar posting on message boards?

What's your f*cking problem?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72l9AU4oGlU

Not sure who here has seen this idiot, another guy talking complete rubbish. I have already tried to correct him once but he has now blocked me from posting on his videos so I can't reply to his idiotic response.

He is trying to claim only 30 games were released for the Lynx and that the Lynx had a less advanced version of mode 7 :lol:

Please all chip in its the only way we are going to set these idiots straight. ;)

I sent this guy a message after he blocked me and he still maintains that only 30 games were released for the Lynx, hardly any used comlynx, the backlight switch dosn't do anything, the Lynx's custom graphics are a lame version of mode 7 (even though the Lynx came out first) and it sold less than 500,000 units which we also know is wrong.

I invited him to come to AA but apparently this forum is full of trolls and idiots and then preceded to make a bunch of personal comments aimed at me :roll:

I understand that he does not feel an Atari-forum is the right place to find unbiased information, but even so; the infos can be found everywhere in the www. Just looking at the factual game list on AA, without having to talk with the fanboys, trolls and whatever he expects here would show him his errors.

How desperately does a person feel the need to see and hear himself online to produce such rubbish? It amazes me time and again how people with no knowledge, no will to research and to prepare properly still think it is a good thing to make their incompetence public.