IGNORED

This LYNX review on YouTube makes me wanna barf.. what do YOU think?

Atari Joe

He sent me a PM on YouTube after I made a comment on his video. He is trying to say that only 30 games actually made it to popular, mainstream retail chains, and he has admitted that there are many more than 30 available outside of that. I don't really understand the point in that reasoning.. Regardless whether some games were mail order only, what kind of difference does it make? They are still available... Dude is just trying to twist things so he doesn't have to admit that he messed up and that, OMG, he may actually learn something here! :thumbsdown:

Edited by Austin

okay guys..

Laird, Austin.. i've been wanting to make new youtube game reviews of my very own and i think you've seen lately that me, delorean and another one of our friends have been cooking up some new sorts of game reviews and commentaries on our youtube channel. my style will be "journalistic" where i am even handed and factual.

i think my first review or a journalistic review that needs to happen soon is for the ATARI LYNX. And the way it should happen is I think we need to not just do a review of the LYNX but start naming names and go through some of these different misinformed and misguided reviews, show a short clip of the reviewer saying lies distortions and half truths about the LYNX and spreading disinformation.. and then after maybe a short sound bite of that reviewer making their point and sounding stupid (LYNX came out in 1994, LYNX had 30 games, yada yada) then cut back to us and say "INCORRECT. LYNX had x amount of games. Here is a list." and then display a list of all the LYNX games on screen, or display whatever fact we are correcting on screen.

So basically without being mean or viscious about it, going through, calling these half-assed reviewers out by name, showing a clip of them giving false information, and then cut back to us correcting that information and giving verifiable facts, and sourcing the facts that we post.

IDK why the LYNX suffers so much disinformation rumor mill stuff on youtube, it's not as common as DS or whatever but its no where near as rare or as unknown as things like FM Towns Marty II or Commodore Amiga CD32 and things like that which usually get favorable if honest reviews. People just seem to love to bash anything that is Atari and I think that's wrong.

So what would you suggest?

What points would you say I need to make on camera and what rumors should be dispelled? I'd like to keep it a short video say about 5 mins or so.

Thanks guys,

Joe

Edited by Atari Joe

PS - here is our youtube channel if you don't already have it.

I havent posted it in other forums much yet on purpose cause most stuff is still being worked on and developed. But you can see me there and some other atariagers and also things on video games and cartoons.

I want my LYNX video to be short, sweet, powerful and to the point. And I always welcome your input.

Edited by Atari Joe

Here are some points I would like to be made:

- Saying the Lynx was a dismal failure when it wasn't. It sold between 2 and 5 million units and outsold the Game Gear in the UK and parts of Europe. It just sold badly compared to the Gameboy.

- The Lynx does not do Mode 7! The Lynx was released before the SNES and the Lynx can scale, flip and distort both sprites and backgrounds. The SNES can only scale backgrounds, in many ways the Lynx is more powerful.

- The Lynx had a much better battery life than the Game Gear and the Lynx 2 was better for this than the Lynx 1. The first Lynx will get at least 4 hours on full power and the Lynx 2 at least 5 hours. If you use the battery pack, decent batteries or just turn the volume down you will get alot longer.

- The Lynx had hardly any games and no third party support. There are over 100 Lynx games available and it did have 3rd party support from people like Telegames, Williams and Beyond Games. But yes I will agree it didn't get as much third party support as it should have.

- Its also always worth mentioning that the Lynx was the most powerful handheld on the market for a full 13 years!!!

I´d just be sure to have relieable sources about the sales. 2 - 5 millions sounds very high (ans vague), so if you are to state this you should point out where the information is from.

That´s a general thing I would advice; for every point you want to prove false, state a relieable source. You can do this point for point and will be able to correct things beyond the shadow of a doubt.

You know I was talking to a young guy at work today., It started as an iPhone 4 "have you heard about the antenna problem session" later moved on to the walled garden stage, at which point I got out my gameboy mini, and said if you really want to se a walled garden here is one. As with Apple everything has to be passed via Nintendo or no dice.

He responded with shock at the size of the unit and then asked me if I remembered the original Gameboy, "That was so big, such a Brick of a device, and it only had Black and white screen". after all the comment on YouBoob about the Lynx's size it was nice to see the old GB getting the same treatment.

I guess if some looks at the hardware of even a few years ago (GBM) and compares it to when the lynx (or gameboy) came out then everything from those days looks big and power hungry. I mean compare the Amiga, ST or whatever with a modern notebook, the notebook has more processing power and is a magnitude smaller.

Every thing needs to be in historical context. The Lynx, Game Gear and Game Boy were all trailblazer for what was to follow. What did we have before these were available? "Game and Watch"?.

I think any video, any one here makes, about any retro platform should really put forward the historical context of what has happened in the last 20 Years.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In it's day at the time of release,nobody made an issue of it's size. Portable gaming was new, price was most important folled by battery life. Nintendo GB was so incredibly crappy! However it had games (though not very readable) and great battery life. (a must for cheap a__ parents) Had it gotten proper support things might have been different. Though Sega Game gear was also better than GB but did not make it in spite of some really good titles. :sad:

Yep most younger folks are sooo ignorant.(many exceptions here at AA)Judging without having experience of the market at the time. I doubt many have played the original GB,They might say it's a pice of crap as well had they actually played one. Awful screen!

• 1 month later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72l9AU4oGlU

Not sure who here has seen this idiot, another guy talking complete rubbish. I have already tried to correct him once but he has now blocked me from posting on his videos so I can't reply to his idiotic response.

He is trying to claim only 30 games were released for the Lynx and that the Lynx had a less advanced version of mode 7 :lol:

Please all chip in its the only way we are going to set these idiots straight. ;)

I sent this guy a message after he blocked me and he still maintains that only 30 games were released for the Lynx, hardly any used comlynx, the backlight switch dosn't do anything, the Lynx's custom graphics are a lame version of mode 7 (even though the Lynx came out first) and it sold less than 500,000 units which we also know is wrong.

I invited him to come to AA but apparently this forum is full of trolls and idiots and then preceded to make a bunch of personal comments aimed at me :roll:

Get all your Lynx carts together and make a video of your own showing how many there really are and post it as a video response to his video. That will show his viewers what an idiot he is.