IGNORED

Distant Lands (Songbird) and Guardians: Storm Over Doria (Telegames)

Atari Joe

Ever since my post last week on California Games I have been really in the mood to play LYNX. One game on LYNX I had been looking forward to buying back in the 1990s was a new RPG from Telegames called "Guardians: Storm Over Doria". The screen shots looked amazing. It was like you were there. It looked better than a generic RPG but ultimately it was never released.

But then in a thread I saw that Songbird Productions saw the same RPG void on the LYNX and was developing a new game called "Distant Lands". I went to Carl's website and saw the Distant Lands info page here. It looks great! Like it's in keeping with Storm Over Doria but kind of has its own take on things.

Does anybody know how things are rolling along with development of Distant Lands? Songbird usually does a good job and I'm very excited to get a great new RPG on LYNX! I hope that they are still working on this game!!

post-2014-127626902439_thumb.gif

post-2014-12762691217.txt

• Like 1

The story of Guardians is at my site. Haven't heard anything from Carl about Distant Lands in years. I guess life got in the way of making it. ;)

Has Carl done anything game related lately? I've been out of the loop on what he's been up to. I know there was talk of a JagCD Robinson's Requiem release, I wonder what happened with that too.

The story of Guardians is at my site. Haven't heard anything from Carl about Distant Lands in years. I guess life got in the way of making it. ;)

I saw that just today Gregory. It's one of the things that got me thinking about Guardians again. Really great page you have there. Did you ever have any luck locating the code? What a great game that was going to be. Carl's new game looks good too but it lacks the detail of Guardians. But I still hope it comes out I'd love to buy it. If I was good at programming I'd make my own rpg!

Joe

I remember peeling open the pages of an issue of EGM and seeing a preview for Guardians. I was really looking forward to that game. The graphical perspective was refreshing and the artwork was really nice.

Has Carl done anything game related lately?
Supposedly Mega Pak 2 is coming at CGE '10 here.Also,he started on Cyber Virus 2 in '08. Edited by chris_lynx1989

Has Carl done anything game related lately?
Supposedly Mega Pak 2 is coming at CGE '10 here.Also' date='he started on Cyber Virus 2 in '08.

[/quote']

hmm. Cyber Virus 2 would be cool but Distant Lands has always been a game I was looking forward to more than anything else. I guess it was too much work to finish?

• Like 1

Chris Vick was doing Distant Lands (Carl may've been helping on graphics or etc. besides publishing/releasing it).Same goes with Ultravore/Ultra Vortex since 2000,Harry has been cleaning up the code/coding it for Carl.Loopz and Mega Pak are the two things that were last released for the Lynx here by Carl.IIRC :)

Glad to hear there is still support for Distant Lands. My efforts are still going forward

in my spare time -- slowly, but surely. Rest assured, an immense amount of planning

has already gone into carefully crafting a large world map, developing the storyline,

and evolving a custom toolset for easily fine-tuning everything. All this work will not

be lost; this game is a labor of love. When it's ready, it will be released for Lynx fans.

• Like 6

Glad to hear there is still support for Distant Lands. My efforts are still going forward

in my spare time -- slowly, but surely. Rest assured, an immense amount of planning

has already gone into carefully crafting a large world map, developing the storyline,

and evolving a custom toolset for easily fine-tuning everything. All this work will not

be lost; this game is a labor of love. When it's ready, it will be released for Lynx fans.

Very cool that you're still working on Distant Lands Nimtene! I have always been looking forward to that one.

I still need to get Zaku though but I'm guessing I'll have enough time

You will. We sold out of the first 300 copies a little while back, but we're set to produce 300 more in the near future (we've another new Genesis RPG to release, first). Thanks for your interest. :)

• 6 months later...
  • 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, so i asked Tom Schenck about all the various claims about why the game was canned, the EGM coverage of it etc and he was kind enough to reply:

"The game was in development for a while, and had top view dungeon crawl gameplay on a few different games in addition to a world map and towns with some houses and shops available. I would say the last time I saw the game it was in a "few milestones into the project" state, and looked to be in a good place.

It was ambitious, as we wanted to support multi-player (4 or more players, since the Lynx supported 18 in the network hardware) and that was proving to be the point where the work started to slow (needing access to multiple machines to test, longer times to set up for tests, etc).

I only know of one thing that stopped development - the company ended up being purchased/absorbed by Park Place Productions and they (Park Place) simply didn't see a future in Atari Lynx games at that point (1992)."

"I have no idea where the Knight Technologies assets ended up, as half the equipment was leased from Atari I believe and it went back to them and was auctioned off at some point in the mid to late 90's (some folks came across at least one group of development files - although I have no files myself). I have only a photo of a painting that was planned for the title screen sprite, and honestly very little else from that time (a few other photos from other games in development).

The version shown at CES was not playable, and I don't know of any press folks who had hands on a running version of the game. It's entirely plausible they were brought around the office at some time I wasn't there, but very few people would have seen a running version of the game by the time CES rolled around that year, it would have been talk, reading documents, and possibly a little video at the show - I don't remember if Telegames had access to the Composite video output or not (Atari did, of course)"