IGNORED

"Locked out" Coleco games on the Intellivision II?

I read someplace - this very forum I believe, that Coleco corrected the problem with the three cartridges that didn't work on the Intellivision II (Donkey Kong, Carnival, Mousetrap) were "fixed" to work on the CBS releases for the European market, and that you could tell the ones that would work because the cartridge case was brown instead of black.

Can anybody confirm this for sure? And to they work on US Intellivision II systems?

I read someplace - this very forum I believe, that Coleco corrected the problem with the three cartridges that didn't work on the Intellivision II (Donkey Kong, Carnival, Mousetrap) were "fixed" to work on the CBS releases for the European market, and that you could tell the ones that would work because the cartridge case was brown instead of black.

Can anybody confirm this for sure? And to they work on US Intellivision II systems?

I do believe the Coleco (CBS Electronics) releases of the titles do run on an INTV, getting around the lockout.

I do believe the Coleco (CBS Electronics) releases of the titles do run on an INTV, getting around the lockout.

I've got a black label CBS Electronics Donkey Kong from the UK - and I can verify that it does not work in the Intellivision II. There were some plastic "tabs" inside that are supposed to prevent the games from being inserted in systems outside of the UK, which were easily broken off so the cart can be inserted, and it still doesn't work.

Edited by rhindlethereddragon

According to the INTV Funhouse, it's hit or miss on CBS titles working on the INTV 2 system.

Games that are shown NOT to work:

Donkey Kong

Carnival

Games that are shown to work:

Venture

Mouse Trap

Thank you for the information. So, it's "hit or miss" with Venture or Mouse Trap, and "not a chance in hell, ever" with Donkey Kong and Carnival, right?

• 3 weeks later...

On a side note, I was able to play Donkey Kong and Venture a handful of times on my Intellivision II, by slowly pushing the cartridge in, to about 75% to 90% of the way, and a small number of times, like hardly ever, I could get the title screen and get into the game. If you tapped the cartridge at all, or even not, the game may blank out.

It wasn't worth the trouble though, but Venture was always one of my favorites.

• 3 weeks later...
I also hacked Pac-Man but I do not remember why. Does this work on the Inty2?

I just tested it with my Cuttle Cart 3. Both the Atarisoft and INTV versions of Pac-Man (at least the copies I have) work on the Intellivision II, but not with the ECS Computer Adaptor installed.

So ColecoVision game carts designed for the Colecovision console work on the Intellivision console too do they? All, on the original Intellivision??

We're talking here about Intellivision games published by Coleco, not ColecoVision games. The ColecoVision and Intellivision are totally different machines.

I also hacked Pac-Man but I do not remember why. Does this work on the Inty2?

I just tested it with my Cuttle Cart 3. Both the Atarisoft and INTV versions of Pac-Man (at least the copies I have) work on the Intellivision II, but not with the ECS Computer Adaptor installed.

Thats it! I had tested all the roms out there on the ECS and I think this was the only one that did not work.

At the time, I had an Intellicart and was using a Palm Pilot to load the games so I went through the exercise to get them all to work that way. A waste of time? Maybe not as this is how I found out Space Shuttle had voice in it. Anyways...I digress..

• 12 years later...
On 6/14/2010 at 10:49 AM, cparsley said:

Games that are shown NOT to work:

Donkey Kong

Carnival

Games that are shown to work:

Venture

Mouse Trap

Are there patched roms "out there" of Venture, Mouse Trap and other locked out games that can work with the INTV2 and a flashcart?

For these Coleco cartridge rom files, create cfg files with the following to patch them for Intellivision II.  Don't know about Word Fun.  The flashcart also has to support these macro commands.

[macro]
p 500c c0

Edited by mr_me

• 4 months later...

Question for the smart people...

According to mr_me, I see that Coleco games can be made to work on a Model II by changing address $500C to $C0.

Does that memory location do anything else? If I have a game that works on a Model I, but not on a Model II, will that work, without any other issues?

In this case, I made the change (from $9F), and the game now boots up properly... I'm just not 100% sure if there's going to be other issues.

11 hours ago, 5-11under said:

Question for the smart people...

According to mr_me, I see that Coleco games can be made to work on a Model II by changing address $500C to $C0.

Does that memory location do anything else? If I have a game that works on a Model I, but not on a Model II, will that work, without any other issues?

In this case, I made the change (from $9F), and the game now boots up properly... I'm just not 100% sure if there's going to be other issues.

I believe that address holds the "initialization flags" for the EXEC, which includes various options for the EXEC to handle the game.  I think setting it to $00C0 makes the game execute code after the title screen, which is what we use in homebrews, and sets the "secret" bit used to lockout Intellivision II games -- that is, if not set, the game will be locked out by the Intellivision II's EXEC.

We typically set the value to $03C0.  The upper 2 bits will bypass the ECS's EXEC too.

Here is some info on the flags field of the header:

http://wiki.intellivision.us/index.php/Hello_World_Tutorial#Cartridge_Header

In general, that field is harmless, so hardcoding the value will work fine -- until Mattel comes out with a new console and changes the bits again.  😁

dZ.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1