IGNORED

Xbox 360 "slim" - anybody buying into this rumor?

wood_jl

I don't doubt that the unit exists and was to be a surprise showing today. What I am curious about is how MS intends to market the unit..... will it be stand alone or will it be part of a Kinetic package or both?

Recently, MS released the 250gb HD as part of a console bundle only, then finally released it as a stand-alone. This makes me wonder if this new unit will be marketed right away as a Kinetic bundle with a stand-alone release later in the future or if it will be marketed as the New & Only Xbox360 console available for purchase (ceasing production of existing models) but also available as part of a bundle. If part of a bundle, this raises the question of price:

Kinetic has been speculated to be marketed at $149 to $199.

A current 250gb system sells for $349 (I'm deducting $50 for the usual pack-in game and won't put in any price for the built-in WiFi which now sells for $89 as an adapter)

If my figures are anywhere near accurate, $150 for Kinetic and $350 for the system will bring a bundle price of $500!!

This is a price point that Sony was bashed unmercifully for achieving with its launch of the 20gb PS3. Will the public be willing to once again pay $500 for a gaming system when they finally got system pricing down to $300? And if the unit will be marketed as the New & Only Xbox360, what kind of price point will they be looking at?

I think this will be very interesting to see how MS handles the marketing of Kinetic and the redesigned Xbox360.

Mendon

Edited by Mendon

If my figures are anywhere near accurate, $150 for Kinetic and $350 for the system will bring a bundle price of $500!!

This is a price point that Sony was bashed unmercifully for achieving with its launch of the 20gb PS3. Will the public be willing to once again pay $500 for a gaming system when they finally got system pricing down to $300? And if the unit will be marketed as the New & Only Xbox360, what kind of price point will they be looking at?

I can't see how they expect people are going to pay extra for the "Kinetic"(Natal?) motion-thingie. It comes standard with the Wii. If they charge extra for it - especially if they charge NEARLY AS MUCH AS A COMPLETE WII for just some motion controls - then people are just going to continue to buy Wii, which has set the precedent that motion controls come with the console for "no extra charge."

I can't see how they expect people are going to pay extra for the "Kinetic"(Natal?) motion-thingie.

I doubt many people will. Most gamers have played the Wii and know motion control only adds to very specific types of games. Shelling out $200 isn't worth it to play them even in HD. I expect to see Kinetic in the bargain bins by next year.

If microsoft came out with a very visible redesign, it would convince people that they are getting the 'latest and greatest' redesign without having to check forums and serial numbers. It would also provide a chance to rethink cooling in the system overall, and maybe even remove the system's infamous ring of lights entirely.

I'm paying attention anyhow.

Edited by Reaperman

Wow!

So not only is it for real, with a 250gb HD and WiFi, but according to their E3 thing, it will be available this week, for $299.

I kinda want one...

I kinda want one too... but to tear it apart. :D

Seriously, they finally started to wise up. They advertised the X360 of being vertical, but yet all of the air holes were on the bottom if its vertical.

Maybe this will end the RROD for good... maybe.

I have a serious question. I had a 360 and sold it. I was thinking of getting another 360 because I miss a couple games and the ability to play my old Xbox games in HD. I was wondering, will it allow me to log in with my old user name and play my old Dloadable games? I wiped the other xbox and removed the username from it, so it wasn't attached to that model... so am I screwed, or no?

I have a serious question. I had a 360 and sold it. I was thinking of getting another 360 because I miss a couple games and the ability to play my old Xbox games in HD. I was wondering, will it allow me to log in with my old user name and play my old Dloadable games? I wiped the other xbox and removed the username from it, so it wasn't attached to that model... so am I screwed, or no?

When you fire up the system, choose recover your gamertag.

You'll need the email and password you used to create the original account. After that go on Live.com (with the gamertag you just recovered on the new system) and register your new console. Tie all your licenses to the new unit and re-download the games/video's.

Good to go.

I hope it's true, but only if it makes the 360 quieter. Jesus christ, that thing is loud. :P

I soldered a fan into my X360, and wrapped the dvd drive with rubber bands. The only noise now is when the dvd drive spins up and slows down. The back cooling fans ever since I added the 40mm fan onto the GPU, are on the slowest speeds at all times.

Slim Xbox? That would be cool....but you know, the lack of airflow is a lot of the problem with the systems already. Maybe they finely nixed that Red rign thing, but if not, a slimmer system is NOT going to fix the problems.

I'd buy it, and if it was $300is for the 250G drive and built in Wifi, that would be even better.

They have a commercial for it on Xbox Live right now. All those features are in it and it's suppose to be a lot quieter. The only difference is it's black on the commercial. $300 pricepoint.

I just wonder if the hard drive is a regular SATA drive now like in the PS3 or if this one is also somehow proprietary.

post-8459-127655309904_thumb.jpg

Edited by HammR25

I hope it's true, but only if it makes the 360 quieter. Jesus christ, that thing is loud. icon_razz.gif

The ones they sell now are already a lot quieter than the first ones they made. Still not as quiet as the PS3 though.

I must be the only one in the world with a PS3 that sounds like a DC-10. Most of the time, the volume has to go way up so I can't hear the drive and fans on it, mainly when watching BR movies.

When you fire up the system, choose recover your gamertag.

You'll need the email and password you used to create the original account. After that go on Live.com (with the gamertag you just recovered on the new system) and register your new console. Tie all your licenses to the new unit and re-download the games/video's.

Good to go.

Thanks bud.

It looks pretty damn slick. I have had my core for a long time and the hdd that is attached is from my original day 1 premium. I don't see any sign of my console failing but I still don't have HDMI and my hdd is small. This is tempting me greatly.

I"m going to have to go to the store and see if they got any of these. Yeah, I'm totally getting one when they get ehrer. I can see not using the HDD (they pretty much covere the whole top of the original system) but Memory cards?

And touch controls....I have experience with those, mostly of gettihg shocked the hell out of (which everyone ever swears can't happen, maybe electronics like me :P )

One thing, it's got 5 USB's, and with the Xboxes new upgrade to let you use USB sticks for memory, it should be a LOT easier to transfer your stuff from one console to another now (I assume that feature is in the new system too.

One thing I want to know, will it support 4 controllers now? The old one probably would have, had it been compatible with a splitter.

Edited by Video