IGNORED

Good memories of ColecoVision games

Pixelboy

Okay now, there's been way too much hardware talk on the ColecoVision sub-forum lately. Let's talk about the games for a change! Post in this thread your best memories of any particular CV or ADAM game(s), either memories from when you were playing the CV back in the early eighties, or more recent memories if you've been playing with your CV lately.

I'll start with a few of my own:

1 ) Beating "2010 - The Graphic Action Game" on skill level 4. Believe me, it was quite a battle for survival, and I was almost screaming in joy when I finally saw the Discovery escape Io's orbit. I only managed to do it once though...

2 ) Playing Bump'n'Jump with the steering wheel. Moving left and right while jumping was especially fun, for some reason.

3 ) Playing the heck out of Dragon's Lair on my ADAM. Back in the day, I could beat skill level 1 so easely that I wouldn't play the game below skill level 2.

4 ) The first time I played with Donkey Kong, at a local department store. My mother had to pry me away from the CV controller!

5 ) Making a map of each level of Montezuma's Revenge. I'm sorry to say I lost those maps years ago...

6 ) The music from Spy Hunter.

7 ) Getting so far in Star Trek that the Klingons turned white and tried to ram into the Enterprise as soon as the level began!

8 ) Trying the latest build of Donkey Kong Arcade the last time I visited Eduardo at his place. There was no sound, but it was still a joy to play. :)

Back in the 80s, the family received a ColecoVision, This was the first time I ever played video games too, I were not having a single idea of what video games was

We started to play Mouse Trap, I was up on the chair begging everyone to let me play

I remember going to the single video club in my area to rent some games, so great memories!

Now, the last time I was playing CV, was Yesterday :P

Playing around with the Atarimax SD cartridge... A Blast!! :D

I always love to play some new homebrew games!

The game I played the most in my life on CV are:

- Montezuma's Revenge

- Bc's Quest for Tires

- Zaxxon

- Venture

- Gorf

- Looping

- Antarctic Adventure (still waiting for the sequel !)

- Smurf Rescue

... maybe Mario Bros too? :D Damn! I played it soo (too) much! :lol:

Edited by retroillucid

Back in 80's , I knew i'm going to have a Colecovision for Christmas , and as i knew i searched everywhere in our house to find it before christmas. I finally found it the 24 december but i didn't have rights to open it. The day after, when as i had found my christmas present (which was already costly for my parent) and didn't expected to have others. so i even didn't look the Christmas tree , i went directly to open my colecovision and play donkey kong, the only game i had.(or i think to had a this moment). I found that game hard at this time, i used to play Space Invader on the VCS of a friend of mine. On Donkey Kong you have to run, jump, climp etc.. lot of thing , i was not used to do! (Space Invader was right-left-shoot).

So i played hours, and at one moment i stop , and passing in front of Christmas tree , i saw a big "square" packet. I had absolutly no idea of what it could be. I ran to open it , and i discover the Steering Wheel with TURBO!!!!!...(i have always been fond of cars since i was 3 year old). I didn't believe it, it was too nice to be true.. but it was real!. My first game on Turbo , the feeling of "really" driving a car was really fantastic. It is the best memories i have in my gaming experience , and it was on coleco!. And i want to thanks my parent for that. In fact they knew i'm going to search everywhere for the console, so the 24 they put it in a place they knew i will found it, to make me believe there will be nothing more!. That really was the best suprise i had!.

Another good memories on coleco, it is when i discover there was another level in Donkey kong... in fact i was not aware of that. You know in Space Invader on VCS , there was visually only one screen , i could not imagine to have more at this time.

And i discovered the second level... and then the 3rd!!!... and then...hue.. here i was expecting more..but not. :(

Recently the "good memories" i have, it is when i discovered i could develop for the Colecovision and make create a cartridge. And also discovered the Atari Max cartridge to test directly my dev on the real console.

My first experience seeing colecovision was at my parents friend's house. When we visited their kids had a colecovision and I don't remember what games they had, I just know I played Venture like all night long and absolutely fell in love with colecovision that night. The next day I told my parents when christmas came I wanted a colecovision.

I had put it on my list to Santa and my mom said they did many of those stand in line in the middle of the night to try and get the few colecovisions that shipped to the store. My mom was going to give it from Santa since I put it on my list and my dad was like what are you crazy I want us to give it to him not Santa. My parents have a video of me opening it for christmas and going absolutely nuts jumping around the room and promising to do my homework and get good grades. Luckily I was a good student and that promise never got challenged. ;)

I just remember playing donkey kong non stop. I don't think I got any other games that day because I don't remember playing anything else. I remember being mad that we had to go to my aunts for christmas because all I wanted to do was stay home and play colecovision.

It has been 10 yrs since I last played colecovision and after getting it fixed/modded I went on a massive purchasing hunt since I only had like 30 - 35 games from my childhood.

I also love the homebrew games and have been playing Mario Brothers a lot. I was playing penguin land a lot too but I keep getting my egg killed and I got annoyed so I put it in Timeout :)

I just got Kevtris so I have been a little addicted to that lately. However, my buying has left me with a full collection of colecovision games with very few left to find and I am not even close to having played half of them so have to stop the addictions and move through the list of all these games so I can play them all. :)

Playing Donkey Kong of Course!It was the best IMO, version.The sound blew me away!!, arcade perfect.Then i went and got DK Jr., now that game blew me away 100 times more.That was pure home video gaming at its best for me, a real, sounds corny, but very true, a real magickal experience for me!!

Edited by Rik

Playing OpCode's port of Yie Ar Kung-Fu for the first time was pretty special for me. I had played the Arcade version on MAME, and then later on, I played the MSX version, but the ColecoVision version was special because it was a better-than-perfect port of the MSX version. The new 2 Player Vs. Mode adds a whole new dimension to the game. It was fun playing it with my little sister, even though she would only play as the bosses and would kick my ass.

I actually chose to get the ColecoVision over the Intellivision because the CV had more homebrews. I was also excited about what is now called the Super Game Module.

So, thank you, OpCode Games! You convinced me to support ColecoVision! :thumbsup:

I grew up with the VCS, my dad actually won our first 2600 from some sort of contest.

I had a blast playing games like Frogger, Megamania, Mrs. Pacman, Kangaroo, Space Invaders, and Mario Bros.

But I remember going to a garage sale with my mother, and to my surprise, I huge box with this big black video game system, bunch of games, and the expansion module.

To say the least, playing DK on the VCS for years, I was BLOWN AWAY when I popped in the CV DK, expecting something similar to what I seen on the Atari. I also had a lot of fun playing Mr. Do (still one of my favorite CV games.)

Hell, my in my art studio, I have a little computer dest set up JUST for my ADAM, which currently has Antarctic Adventure in the cart slot, my favorite game by far on the CV.

I am also pretty fond of DK Jr.

Now I am just waiting for my copy of Mario Bros. and Penguin Land, and working on boxart for CV homebrew, something I never imagined I would be doing 20+ years later :D

My brother brought home a ColecoVision BITD and we spent many nights playing DK, DK Jr., Mouse Trap, Gorf and Venture. I seem to remember playing Mouse Trap and Venture the most.

Last year I put up a 2nd rank Twin Galaxies score for Mouse Trap (skill level 1). I think that game was almost 5 hours long and I will set aside some time to break that record (s00n!). My hands were so cramped and sweaty from wrestling with those controllers for 5 hours straight in a maze game.

Just recently I sent Twin Galaxies a tape of ColecoVision scores which includes a 2-1/2 hour long Pepper II (skill level 1) session good for #2 on the scoreboard. It hasn't been verified yet and I forget now what the score was - 10 million maybe...the record is 50 million and right now I do not want to spend 10+ hrs on breaking that record.

Receiving Pac-Man Collection in the mail in the summer of 2009 was a treat. What a fantastic job and I scolded Eduardo out of respect for hiding Pac-Man Plus, which I think is the best game on there. Great job Eduardo!

But, I think the biggest thing that stands out is seeing and playing Donkey Kong for the first time on the ColecoVision back in 1982. This was the most advanced console of its time and it blew everyone away with its arcade-like graphics.

:dunce: The game that sucked me in was Smurfs at a kiosk in Montgomery Ward....

I couldn't believe how in incredible the graphics were for it. I was mesmorized also by Rocky; the graphics of the fighters were beautiful!

A little story about the steering wheel accessory....So I ended getting a steering wheel cheap at a Sears surplus store way back when....Sans the box, instructions and no Turbo. So I get home trying to figure out how this damn thing works, I had Destructor % Dukes of Hazzard...After many tries the damn thing still didn't work so I just assumed this thing was faulty, keep in mind I was still little.... So just kicked of in the corner and it sat. Well one day just start to mess with it again and guess what? Yep, you guessed it the DAMN thing needed batteries!!!:dunce:

Edited by schuwalker