IGNORED

GT5 again

Reaperman

I haven't been keeping up on the GT5 situation, so reading this whole thread at once surprised me. I thought that GT5 might be the game that finally made me buy a PS3. After reading this, however, I think I may go out and get Forza 3.

This new system of releasing broken games and then patching them later really bothers me. There won't be much point in collecting these games 20 years from now, when the updates are no longer available online.

Chris

god most humans are so horrible in the monkey see monkey do way... just because you read some review giving it an 85% instead of 100% doesnt mean the game is not spectacular. MAYBE that reviewer is an xbox fanboy?! the PS3 system itself has taken a real beating since it was released, ya ya, xbox is more popular now but that is mostly marketing. i just have to laugh that these reviewers probably play 1% of GT5 and think theyve seen and know it all. the GT games are known for how massive they are, thats why they take so long to make... people have to be really shallow if some small graphical bugs put them off so much. it comes down to there are far too many xbox fanboys these days and far too many people that think it is cool to hate on anything playstation. i dont give a damn what some reviewer says, ill make my own judgement months or years from now when ive finally come close to completing gt5 ;)

i bought the game 2 days ago, only messed around in a zonda. ya, i notice i wasnt blown away by the graphics but i also dont have an hdtv or 3d glasses or whatever. i thought the intro was neat actually. i mean again, the game is so massive its dumb to come to a conclusion right now on how good the game is. reviews and reviewers are for kids. ive come to realize ill let myself decide how good a game is or not, why should i listen to someone elses biased opinion? How do we know a lot of these big time reviewers arent paid of by MS or something? ;)

or maybe im just a playstation fanboy? LOL... it must be said that i have never cared for anything xbox except i love my original xbox modded with 16000 classic NON xbox games on it!

I think Reaperman was quite specific in his description of the game, unlike any Fanboy. I have also read (by now) "real" reviews of the game and they seem to echo exactly what he was saying, only not as clear as his description.

Nobody said that it "sucked;" only that it was somewhat-disappointing. After the 5-year wait and the ballyhoo of how many millions of $$$ went into its development, as well as the excellence of the previous GT games (except for GT2), I should think high expectations and near-perfection are to be expected.

• Like 1

I like the physics of the cars, the premium cars look good, some of the tracks look good, but overall it certainly doesn't live up to the hype. Some of the stuff I thought would be cool isn't exactly like I thought it would be - weather & night cycles only on certain tracks, damage is almost non-existant, car interiors only on premium cars, can't move the camera around in interior mode to check what's around you and buying most of the cars seems like a lottery from the used dealer. Oh and you can't upgrade your brakes? Wtf? Add 200hp but keep the stock brakes???

It's still a good game, just... 5 years? I expected perfection!! :twisted:

I can't help but think they missed a golden opportunity with the Top Gear Test Track.

•  
  • There are no standing starts, so I can't check my time against the Stig.
  • There are none of the 'reasonably priced cars' so I can't check my time against the cast of Doctor Who.
  • The replay cameras have not been replicated in the slightest.
  • GT5 doesn't use the common variants of the track (drag strip, outside ring). Free because they're already modeled.
  • The special missions on the track are super annoying*

*I get that VW Bus racing is supposed to be funny, but if I clip a cone or tap a bus I'm disqualified. Have they even watched the show? It's nothing but good-natured cheating. Half of them should be on fire by the end.

On the up side I picked up a Caterham earlier this morning. What a rocket! Once I figure out how to keep it on the ground I'm going to cause trouble in lightweight or low-hp racing online.

Oh and you can't upgrade your brakes? Wtf? Add 200hp but keep the stock brakes???

A quick note on Gran Turismo games in general and brake upgrades. Previously they've been a total ripoff and the brake controller (which you get free in GT5) is the only upgrade that ever helped.

Hear me out here, I sound wrong, but I'll explain. Gran Turismo games (at least 3-5) do not model brake fade which is the reason to upgrade brakes. Stock brakes are more than strong enough to lock up the wheels, even with the added grip of racing tires, which is the most any brake could ever do for you. If you're having trouble with braking, buy better tires, adjust the ABS setting (it defaults to 1 of 10), or go into brake settings.

But yes, it kind of sucks that brake upgrades aren't in there, and that they didn't throw together some kind of fading effect to make them useful. It'd be nice to at least have the visible upgrade of them.

Edited by Reaperman

To give an idea of the range of graphics in the game, I've included 2 shots below. One from 'photo travel,' and one from the race replay 'photomode' at trial mountain (which is an ugly track ripped right from GT4).

kyotogionp.th.jpg trialmountaincircuit.th.jpg

These blow up quite large.

Edited by Reaperman

I think everyone is overreacting to reviews and all the hype icon_thumbsdown.gif.

I think its a great game. I got it yesterday, did a few races, and some online kart races. I like it. When I was playing the online races, I was laughing the whole time, while going around the track backwards while wating for the race to begin (obviously, I was going so fast, the laws of physics dont count, thats probably what happens when you play racing games online. of course the physics worked pretty well, when I went the right way...). I also like how they use the Entertainer song for the repair place, its nice to listen to while waiting for that wierd oil changing animation goes on.

I was able to pickup my copy this afternoon. No idea on the install size but, I timed it out of curiosity and it came to 42:42 on time. Looks like they released a patch yesterday. It was 1xx megabytes and took 5:31 to download and install. Of course that's dependent on a person's internet connection. I've got DSL so I'm assuming some would get that part done a bit faster. Total time was 48:13.

I can't comment much on the game. I've only driven a Daihatsu so far. I don't care for the lack of a damage model and the fact that hitting an AI car stops me dead in my tracks, doesn't wreck me and doesn't wreck them. A little dirt on the hood isn't what I'd call damage either.

Otherwise it drives fine. It works with my H pattern shifter like I'd expect. I assume they fixed the menu problem with the patch because I'm not having any loading issues.

I like what I see so far, I just wish it was a little more realistic with the damage and car contact. I should try online and see how well that works. Hopefully car contact is much better there.

Well I just finished the "Gran Turismo World Championship." That was about the most physically draining video game experience I've had in recent memory. Lots of sweat. Coming in first overall triggers the end movie (or maybe hitting level 15 does, they happened at the same time for me). Of course it's not really the end of the game by a long shot, it just means that everything beyond that race stops being easy. The game also (mercifully) has harder low-hp battles afterward because that 600hp finale just wasn't my idea of fun.

To further clarify my thoughts on the game, I'm enjoying the handling and physics a lot. I don't drive quickly enough, or play enough other sims to compare realism in a broad sense, but Gran Turismo has really outdone itself, and it's the best handling racing game I've played. As far as my immersion in the game, that's where it all comes from for me. It doesn't change my opinion that the game is currently almost as broken as it is working, that its less than half finished, and my unhappiness that features clearly advertised on the official site and the box didn't make it into the final game. I will say that during the 'world championship' 600hp shootout, none of that really mattered. I didn't have time to look at the map much less count cardboard trees.

one queestion: the instruction manual said something about matchmaking, but I've seen none of that in the game. what are they talking about?

I expect a lot of that to actually be patched pretty soon. There have been announcements stating 1 Dec for the big multiplayer patch, but there have been a couple little ones already. Right now we're all stuck with open lobbies and maybe the 'my lounge' (I haven't tried that one yet)

I assume they fixed the menu problem with the patch because I'm not having any loading issues.

Yeah I haven't seen that since early Friday morning. I think they pulled a really long weekend up at Sony.

one queestion: the instruction manual said something about matchmaking, but I've seen none of that in the game. what are they talking about?

I expect a lot of that to actually be patched pretty soon. There have been announcements stating 1 Dec for the big multiplayer patch, but there have been a couple little ones already. Right now we're all stuck with open lobbies and maybe the 'my lounge' (I haven't tried that one yet)

I assume they fixed the menu problem with the patch because I'm not having any loading issues.

Yeah I haven't seen that since early Friday morning. I think they pulled a really long weekend up at Sony.

good grief, you would expect that to be in the release version, thats BS

PATCH ABUSE!

good grief, you would expect that to be in the release version, thats BS

PATCH ABUSE!

Yeah, especially since it's a feature that's listed on the back of the package, right next to leaderboards which are also not in the game yet.

I actually do somewhat expect them to beef up the online to include some of this, since it's been mentioned specifically for near-future patching.

As of now, I've heard no indication of fixes for anything that's not in the online portion.

I'm not worried about patch abuse as much as 'it will be in the next game' abuse.

Edited by Reaperman

First patch came out last night. 130mb or so. Rumors are flying about what all it fixes, but GT5p garage importing, a new wet corner grip setting, and the online functions seem to have all started working. With online enabled, maybe we'll start seeing some major reviews.

As for the garage import functions from GTPSP and GT5p, I will be using them to the maximum. GT5 keeps your old cars away from the career mode so that experience won't be ruined.

Can you import your garage from the Prologue game, the only option I saw was for importing from the PSP game. Quite annoying since when GT5P came out, they clearly said you could import stuff from it to the main GT5 game.

Q: Does it really take 50 minutes and 40GB to install? I have read this on some review, but I'm not sure that I buy it.

maybe 40 minutes, about 8 GB

Yeah, and you are given an option not to. But it does warn if you choose not to install, expect looong load times.

Im just getting started. Finished the B1 license. Took awhile, as I'm a stickler for getting all golds in the license dept.

Did the kart racing in the special section. Those are a blast.

The only online racing I've done is with my buddies. I set up races in my lounge, invite them in, and go race. Pretty fun.

I want to try out the track maker. I love that stuff. Oh man, the HOURS I spent with the C-64 on Racing Destruction Set track builder!

Now, I hope they work on a PS3 Tourist Trophy at some point, as I still play this title nearly daily. MotoGP 09/10 is great. But to buy and tune production bikes would rock...to me.

I haven't had chance to play the game much yet, but I'm playing it in 3D & it looks pretty good to me! Haven't gone online, as generally as a rule I tend to stay away from that side of gaming!I think with the different vehicle modes (karts, nascar etc) they are aiming for a broader audience thatn normal?? Roll on the weekend :D

First patch came out last night. 130mb or so. Rumors are flying about what all it fixes, but GT5p garage importing, a new wet corner grip setting, and the online functions seem to have all started working. With online enabled, maybe we'll start seeing some major reviews.

As for the garage import functions from GTPSP and GT5p, I will be using them to the maximum. GT5 keeps your old cars away from the career mode so that experience won't be ruined.

Can you import your garage from the Prologue game, the only option I saw was for importing from the PSP game. Quite annoying since when GT5P came out, they clearly said you could import stuff from it to the main GT5 game.

No that was some bad info I got from the GTplanet forum when the patch launched. There is no way to import your prologue cars just your PSP ones. They go into arcade mode.

I don't know if anyone else is using it, but I got the Logitech PS3 Driving Force wheel....um...yeah....

I played the first couple nights just with the hand controller. I would fair ok. But with the wheel, the driving sim is so much more precise.

You can really feel the control of the car, which allows me to get a better line and drive out of the corners.

I have Forza2 and the Xbox wheel. I thought for sure that combination would be unbeatable. But this PS3 wheel in GT5 is just as accurate with feel and control over the car.

Not only that, but I feel it gives the game a whole new experience over using a regular controller.

Construction is high quality. The feed back is good, and realistic. The foot pedals (only gas and brake on my version) have a good build to them.

It has a drop bar with spikes on it, and they really dig in and hold on carpet! ( my xbox pedals would slide all over the place)

Yeah its an extra purchase to play GT5. And if you can, I would highly recommend it. Otherwise (to me) it would be like playing rock band with a regular controller.

Having a guitar structured controller just allows for more fun and realistic play. I cant see playing GT5 now any other way other than using this wheel.

I think the steering wheels are cool toys, but they've never actually increased my lap times (etc) and control, in a driving game, over an analog stick. They're just more work. I have the Logitech Driving Force for the PS2, and I think it's a cool novelty, but a pain to set up properly (etc again) which is why I never use it. Why, when I can sit comfortably on the couch with a Dual-shock?

In either case, it's just moving a potentiometer back and forth to steer, the smaller controller being a more sensitive one. So why should a wheel offer actual better control than an analog stick? I understand the "added realism" of a wheel, but there's no fooling me that I'm sitting on a couch and staring at a TV screen, so I don't really care about realism; I'm playing a video game. So unless the control is poorly implemented in the case of the analog stick, why would a wheel be better? Just more work to move your arms and shoulders instead of your thumb, and more hassle to set it up and string all the cables. Analog thumb stick worked perfectly in GT1 through GT4; I certainly hope it would work as well for GT5 but doesn't sound like it does.