IGNORED

GT5 again

Reaperman

I think the steering wheels are cool toys, but they've never actually increased my lap times (etc) and control, in a driving game, over an analog stick. They're just more work. I have the Logitech Driving Force for the PS2, and I think it's a cool novelty, but a pain to set up properly (etc again) which is why I never use it. Why, when I can sit comfortably on the couch with a Dual-shock?

In either case, it's just moving a potentiometer back and forth to steer, the smaller controller being a more sensitive one. So why should a wheel offer actual better control than an analog stick? I understand the "added realism" of a wheel, but there's no fooling me that I'm sitting on a couch and staring at a TV screen, so I don't really care about realism; I'm playing a video game. So unless the control is poorly implemented in the case of the analog stick, why would a wheel be better? Just more work to move your arms and shoulders instead of your thumb, and more hassle to set it up and string all the cables. Analog thumb stick worked perfectly in GT1 through GT4; I certainly hope it would work as well for GT5 but doesn't sound like it does.

I agree completely. I actually did own a wheel for some time, but as you said, it didn't really help much. Sure it was cool, but it didn't do much for me. Just another thing to buy. I too hope the controller works as well as it did in past releases...

Choice of controller matters a lot.

The wheels help a lot in terms of holding consistent lines through corners and putting down the proper level of throttle/brake to maintain control. It's hard to fit up to 900 degrees of steering rotation into a half inch of stick movement. In addition to having a far longer throw, pedals are a lot easier to keep feet on than the dualshock's convex L2/R2 triggers (it's not the default, but it's the Dualshock's most precise control scheme for throttle/brake). I do not believe there is any way to clutch with a controller, and many wheels will feature an additional pedal for that. The wheel's force feedback also helps communicate some road/grip conditions that rumble does not.

I'm much quicker with my G25, and my style doesn't really allow to drive seriously without it. For example I was never especially good with GT-PSP since subtle control inputs were impossible. It's certainly still possible to be very fast with a controller in a GT game, but I was never very good at that and it's a very different experience.

Edited by Reaperman

Choice of controller matters a lot.

The wheels help a lot in terms of holding consistent lines through corners and putting down the proper level of throttle/brake to maintain control. It's hard to fit up to 900 degrees of steering rotation into a half inch of stick movement. In addition to having a far longer throw, pedals are a lot easier to keep feet on than the dualshock's convex L2/R2 triggers (it's not the default, but it's the Dualshock's most precise control scheme for throttle/brake). I do not believe there is any way to clutch with a controller, and many wheels will feature an additional pedal for that. The wheel's force feedback also helps communicate some road/grip conditions that rumble does not.

I'm much quicker with my G25, and my style doesn't really allow to drive seriously without it. For example I was never especially good with GT-PSP since subtle control inputs were impossible. It's certainly still possible to be very fast with a controller in a GT game, but I was never very good at that and it's a very different experience.

That's a good point. On a somewhat unrelated note, I can sort of relate with Mario Kart Wii. I could only play with the wheel/remote; the GC controller scheme felt disjointed and clunky. Judging on what I've read, I'd really like to try wheels again in GT5, but I don't think I can afford one right now. On the other hand, I do have those replacement L2/R2 triggers for my DS3 that make them easier to press. I wonder if that would help performance a little bit?

Yeah, for the arcade kind of games, like the Burnout series..Need for Speed etc, your not gonna benefit from the wheel. But these racing sim games,

I really feel some type game design was developed toward using the wheel. I'm not saying either the regular controller is not going to

work well with GT5. But for me, the slight, and subtle inputs I use with the wheel, and the feedback (read-the feel of what the car is doing or reacting to your inputs

thru the wheel) make using it far easier, real, and better.

With the stick I can hold a line thru a corner pretty good. But passing or heavy braking with traffic in a corner, I tend to flip the stick all over the place. I also seem

to smack into cars more often as a result.

Haha, yeah Im not fooled that Im on my couch playing a game, but why not get the most out of it. My TV is 57 inch, and when I play, I do sit a little closer...kind of fills

up the peripheral vision! Maybe that element helps pull me into that "zone" and I can forget about the room, couch, and TV, and lets me be sucked into feeling like its real.

I dont know, weird. Its a sim racing game, so I guess I just treat as such...try to get the most realism out of it.

Maybe its just the real track experience I've done, and regular road racing experience, translates easily to me with the wheel.

Really good points on the wheel control, Reaperman.

But I have to say that (at least on the PS2) the "Driving Force Pro" with 900-degrees was too much for me. The steering was just so slow that I had to really crank on the wheel (hastening its eventual wear-out and death) when the action was heavy - in Gran Turismo 3 and 4. It was just way too much work!!! I settled for the "Driving Force" with (I think????) 270-degrees and that was about perfect. The 900-degrees seemed like I was driving a John Deere tractor or a semi-truck with super low-geared steering; when correcting for a sideways maneuver, it seemed you needed one of these:

Brodie_knob.jpg

I'd probably go ahead and use 900 degrees if force feedback would properly simulate a wheel trying to recenter itself. I normally just use 360 degrees on my wheel. The other thing that can help in simulations is being able to trail brake (heel and toe) so you can have your foot on the throttle and brake at the same time. It helps keep the car stable through turns.

GT5 still is a lot better than some of the older games but it's still not all that much of a sim compared to computer games like rFactor, GTR2, Grand Prix Legends, NASCAR Racing 2003 Season, iRacing....etc.

I can see why someone wouldn't want to bother with using a wheel though just to play a game. As long as they're having fun that's all that matters.

Looks like there is a damage patch out:

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-5-v1-03-update-now-available/

I like the mechanical damage so far. Too bad it currently seems to be online-only. Car handling gets pretty rough after a couple scrapes. Even heavy damage is instantly fixed in the pits, which is okay I guess. I was hoping damage would come into play in single-player endurance races, but I'm probably never going to unlock those anyway.

I think I'm about as far into single player as I'm ever going to get. I'm a good ways in, about 3,000 miles, but I'm about done having fun. I don't feel like grinding the same races over and over to level up and progress, so I'm spending more time in practice and arcade modes. The practice mode is pretty much where I lived in GT4 for years.

Edited by Reaperman

I just got this game cause we bought a new 3D ready TV and it came with GT5 and a PS3.

I must say that I really like GT5. The last one I played was for the PS2 which I couldn’t get into and before that for the PS1 which I remember playing for hours on end, it just became too much for me over the years.

I’m not a car nut and I also don’t want too much of a simulation since I prefer arcade style racers but I found that this game is perfect for me. I know some of the die-hards have complained that’s its not enough of a sim but again, for a sort of newbie its fantastic.

Been leveling, getting licenses and playing with cars. I'm going to start racing some more but I think I may reach a limit like Reaper only because I personally have never been that great with GT. :P

Just wanted to add my two cents: fantastic game, coming from a guy who had no intention of buying it. :thumbsup:

(My TV isn't here yet. I'm going to try it in 3D when it arrives this weekend)

Damage Update:

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/gran-turismo-5-update-v103-goes-live.html

Oh good the servers have been down all day.

I guess Sony must not think Saturday is a big video gaming day. My opinion differs a bit.

Whatever it is, it sure couldn't have waited until 2am on Monday, or some other lower volume time.

I doubt we'll see any improvements when it comes back up either. Matchmaking and leaderboards would be nice, but I think the servers were downed because item gifting wasn't working. It had become a severe problem a few hours before they went offline. 'Severe' to all the folks trading cars anyway.

Oh and the web portal for the idiot facebooky parts of GT5 came online last week. just log in using the 'GT5 My Home' button at the top right of here. ...once the servers come back online of course...

Edited by Reaperman

Still waiting for features advertised on the back of the box...

Same with me. I could really use some kind of matchmaking system.

Or those leaderboards to give me some time trial goals (both on the back of the box)

I've hit a pretty big wall in the single-player game, and I'm just waiting until the online features mature a bit.

Oh and if you haven't, everybody may want to register for the 2010 GT academy contest, kicking off in a few days. (link)

Latest I've heard on patches from a Famitsu interview:

What will be the scope of the update expected around 2010-12-20?

Yamauchi: the update expected for this day is a large scale one.

Source

Edited by Reaperman

• 2 weeks later...

Got my replacement wheel last week and last night I went into Arcade mode and noticed that I could add damage. That was some really nice driving. It didn't take much to completely wreck my suspension just like one would expect. I just wish I had the option to have that same damage in career mode if I so chose.

Still, I've pretty much gotten over the fact that in career mode the AI cars are only there to use as brakes in the turns and as moving chicanes on the straights. I was also finally able to purchase a car that I can actually oversteer because it's got more power than the tires can handle. I'm having fun with this game. My only real complaint at the moment is one everyone has heard before about being forced to use a specific car for a specific event which ends up causing me to grind through the same races over and over again to make money to buy a new car for different events.

Imagine the fun for all the people getting this game for Christmas. They're going to put the disc in and then get to install the game to the hard drive then they get to install a 133 mb patch followed by a 149 mb patch followed by a 608 mb patch just so they can play the game.

I received this game for Christmas, and am expeiencing the joy you spoke of now! A system update, followed by a patch, followed by the HDD install (which has said 20 mins to go for the past 15 minutes) followed by who knows what. PS3 drives me nuts with all the insane update/install times.

It took nearly an hour to update and install this game, but it was worth it. Fun game. I usually dread having to buy some crap 4 banger car and race it around at 80 mph for hours, but driving my 97 Honda Civic <insert seemingly random letters here> for an hour or two around the beginner tracks was quite fun. Finished what Type A beginner races I could and was level 5 or 6. Tried one race from the next difficulty before heading to bed. I just hope it doesn't take forever to be able to buy the Ferrari, Corvette ZR1, or Porches.

I think I am going to order the 3d adapter and glasses for my TV for this game.

What is the point of Type B racing? Watch a race and tell a driver to step on the gas or ease up? I aborted this mode 30 seconds into it. Am I missing something?

The load times for each race are terrible, I would hate to see them if I did not spend an hour installing the game.

I've really been enjoying tuning cars to exactly 100hp and seeing competitive I can get them to be. Sadly I have found very few online who share this joy. (I've won more than my share of races that I shouldn't have, though) One thing I had hoped GT5 would fix is relegating slower cars in single-player mode to a couple of the easiest beginner races. As far as I'm concerned, I should be able to pop my butt in a Kei class car, and race smarter and more tuned opponents until I win the goddamn Kei world championship, and the Kei 24hr endurance cup series.

The closest I can get is arcade mode, where it matches my 100hp tuned Cappuccino against 300hp full-blooded rally cars. It's the 'watch them getting smaller' simulator then.

kyotogion600.jpg

I really am liking the xp rebalance with the 1.05 patch. I'd very much like to unlock the 4h roadster cup, and getting xp for online racing is helping. The hell if I was going to grind the same couple of a/b-spec races for a week to get there.